Trehalose what is it? How does it effect plant growth? How does it help with stress such as salt, drought or freezing?

Yeah that’d be the way to go! I was told to try it and figured the hyshield would be a quick/easy way to do it to see if it made a difference and it did. Soon as i’m done with it I will definitely be looking for that powder. I have a buddy using up to 4% chitosan (hyshield is 1%) and it’s working fantastically for him!

On a side note, I have seen some talk about it blocking P or K with long term usage. Something about the chitosan being positively charged and binding with the negative ions in the nutrient solution :thinking: idk about all that but I have noticed some type of burn if I use it with every single watering after a month or so. Going to one or two watering’s once a week or two, seems to be the way to go. Get explosive growth with no issues. I do not use it in flower past the first two weeks, if at all.

2 Likes

It is some weird shit no doubt.
I personally suggest using it as a spray, I believe it is more effective that way, meaning you get a quicker response.
I do remember something about why that is, but I will have to dig into my notes to see what I find.
For whatever reason I think Chitosan does not need to be inside of the plant to get the proper reaction.
Maybe just use a drench during flower so things build up less in the medium and the issue could go away.

I was trying to work my way up to this… being we see a synergy between SA and Chitosan as well as a synergy between SA and Tre one might assume they would work together well.
A side by side test may be the only way to know for sure.
Also, tank mixing could become a problem as well.

1 Like

Are you saying he is using 4 times as much?
Too much can have an effect on yield, so we gotta be careful there.

yeah it would be 4x as strong as HyShield. Only in veg.

Let me give this math a shot here.
1% is 10,000 ppm
4% is 40,000 ppm
with the hyshield directions of (1-2mL/L)
10-20 ppm working solution for HS
If you use the same directions of (1-2mL/L) for the other you get…
40-80 ppm working solution.
20-80 ppm sounds like a pretty good range to me.
I would suggest keep things under 100 ppm myself, depending on individual circumstances of course.
Like for example you use it with a synergistic product like SA you may find you need to use less than when used by itself.
The same can probably be said for trehalose.

2 Likes

Seems like monocropping is the source of trouble.
The plants themselves are not the problem, when you grow cannabis in a permaculture way then they don’t need to be stronger, it is draught, flood and frost proof by design by selecting a wide variety of crops and growing them all mixed together, along with creating swales.
They can be designed into a landscape, a wavy landscape has more surface area, breaks the wind more, lets more water penetrate the soil, and thus more plants can grow on the same plot of land.
Companion crops create a buffer that protects the main crop, and they lure insects away from the cannabis.
Diversity is key to optimum health in all areas of life.

Not gonna go on about it anymore though, thank you for letting me chime in.
Peace :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Happy to hear your opinion on things. :slightly_smiling_face:
I agree totally this would be a great thing to do across the board around the world.
I think they are trying to get back to that sorta natural farming type thing in some places but the funding seems like it is drying up.
Very sad.
You would think govt’s around the world would fund this sorta thing for the good of the world and the people.
That does not seem to be the case, seems money is the biggest obstacle.
Those are my thoughts on that topic anyway. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

There’s a few states that are funding cover crop seeds and organized bulk buying for farmers.
But then again, farmers can dedicate a small plot of land to make their own cover crop seeds, which is cheaper and the genetics will adjust to their specific environment.
It’s not so much money that’s needed, but education and that takes some time to spread but it sure is gaining momentum!

1 Like
  1. Trehalose triggers resistance to downy mildew.
  2. Trehalose is effective against drought stress.
  3. Trehalose is effective against starvation stress.
  4. Trehalose is effective against salt stress.
  5. Trehalose provides frost protection.
  6. Trehalose positively affects nitrogen metabolism and photosynthesis.
  7. Trehalose reduces the damage caused to cells by forming a protective layer around them.
  8. Trehalose is also believed to act as an antioxidant.
  9. Trehalose is involved in the regulation of cell cycle and apoptosis, helping cells to survive under stressful conditions.
  10. Trehalose works well as a seed primer.
  11. Trehalose is known for increasing yield potential by improving plant growth.
  12. Trehalose is known for increasing biomass accumulation.
  13. Trehalose is known for increasing chlorophyll content.
  14. Trehalose functions as a reserve carbohydrate.
  15. Trehalose is known for its role as a stress protectant.
  16. Trehalose has anti-viral properties.
  17. Biochemically, trehalose has the ability to stabilize lipids and protein membrane.
  18. Trehalose can be successfully used for achieving the maximum performance of medicinal herbs.
  19. Trehalose Outperforms Chitosan, Humic Acid and Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid in Promoting the Growth
  20. Trehalose is known as polysaccharide, like chitosan.

This was for basil.
The results indicated that Tre application at the rate of 20 mg/l (Tre 20) demonstrated the best results for most of the parameters studied.

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Nausheen-Khanam/publication/355406288_Trehalose_foliage_application_influences_growth_and_physiological_attributes_of_holy_basil_Ocimum_tenuiflorum_L/links/616ec869c891c4663aa00483/Trehalose-foliage-application-influences-growth-and-physiological-attributes-of-holy-basil-Ocimum-tenuiflorum-L.pdf

@Emeraldgreen

1. Trehalose provides frost protection.
3 Likes

@HolyAngel
I found no evidence of crosstalk between Chitosan and Trehalose.
I read where they used chitosan to encapsulate the Trehalose so it seems they should tank mix together or maybe they totally separate, I guess I may have to give this a shot. :thinking:

I would like to add the glutamic acid AKA MSG to this mix.
I will need to look further into how all of these things play together.

I used to know a chemist/pharmacist he was always so helpful with stuff like this.
Pretty sure that is where I learned of the effects Chitosan VIA foliar vs drench.
He understood the reaction at a cellular level.
Shit will make my head spin… :woozy_face:

1 Like

@Cormoran
Not sure what your background is, what are your thoughts on this mix?
Do you see any red flags/crosstalk when mixing/using the 3 together?

Seems to be 2 sugars and an amino acid from what I can tell.
Simple logic would state if all are water soluble and they are, they should tank mix properly within reason.

4 Likes

All I have to say is this. @HolyAngel @Rogue @shag you guys always increase my knowledge when I read your stuff. Increase my awareness on all these different topics. I appreciate it! Especially when tagged so my attention is called to it.

Thanks for including sources also.
I was thinking with the alternating the two as a top feed in the container. Excess could drain to the rez.

3 Likes

I’m good at using search engines and have some critical thinking abilities, that’s about it. :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely don’t take this as gospel, since I just did a quick scan of the thread and plugged it into Google, but I found an abstract for an old research paper on interactions between trehalose and amino acids in water. Unfortunately the actual paper’s in Chinese and I’m not entirely sure how to get my browser to translate it offhand. :wink:

“Although trehalose is used as a protein stabilizer, the mechanism by which this stability is induced is not fully understood at present. In this study, we investigated the interactions between trehalose and all 20 common amino acids using all-atom molecular dynamics simulations. It is found that all the amino acids exhibit a preference for contact with water, especially the polar and charged amino acids. Conversely, only the hydrophobic amino acids were found to have a slight preference for contact with trehalose molecules. This tendency is most pronounced in the case of contact between trehalose and aromatic or hydrophobic side chains, whereas the backbones of each amino acids all show similar propensities for contact with water. Furthermore, hydrogen bonds between amino acids and trehalose were found to be significantly weaker than those between amino acids and water, although both trehalose and water can interact with the amino acids via hydrogen bonds. These findings are important with regard to the exploration of the molecular mechanism of protein stability induced by trehalose and the rational design of highly efficient protein stabilizers.”

https://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/apcs/apcs/2014/00000030/00000007/art00006#

Seems like there shouldn’t be major problems mixing trehalose and MSG in water, anyway. I found a number of references to MSGC or monosodium glutamate functionalized chitosan and using chitosan as a functional monomer in MSG, which might indicate that they can bond… I’d need to do more research to figure out just what the hell all that means though and whether it would happen naturally upon mixing, or if it’s something you’d need to deliberately cause. Not now though, it’s still before breakfast and I’m fast losing motivation…

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/299/1/012010/meta

It does seem that chitosan glutamate might have some potential for the treatment of STDs or aid in absorption of acyclovir, if anyone’s interested in researching those further. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Great reading material. Thanks to the OP. And no, never heard of it.
I went looking for the differences between Trehalose and molasses and Corn Steep Liquor.
Molasses, (sulpher preferred) a sugar I’ve used for 2 decades now, in my growing areas.
I did try and get my hands on Corn Steep Liquor, about 10 years ago now, and the other day at the Kid’s grow shop, I did see Build A Soil, offers a dehydrated CSL product product, I may go run after a bag now.
Trehalous, molasses, Corn Steep Liquor show down. Or battle of the sugars, to build better plants…MAYBE!!
Thanks again, I love it!

3 Likes

Trehalose is without a doubt the best choice for sugar.
Why?
Can the others make these same claims?

3 Likes

I just found this one. Standard @shag post. “What is…”. I dont know either, but if Shag is wondering, I might look into it. I have learned much from him. Some things well enough to confidently share. Much appreciated, always.

1 Like

Thanks for stopping by @crownpoodle
I know some, but not all about trehalose…I wanna learn more.
Here is an explanation of trehalose in more simple terms

Trehalose, also known as the “sugar of life” or “resurrection sugar”, is associated with the survival of several organisms that live under extreme environmental conditions.

It is a naturally occurring disaccharide comprised of two molecules of glucose. It is present in a variety of organisms such as bacteria, yeast, fungi, insects, invertebrates animals, and lower and higher plants, which synthesize it as a source of energy and use it to survive from freezing and lack of water.

Trehalose was isolated in the mid-19th century by the French chemist Marcellin Berthelot. Since then, there has been extensive research on the biological and chemical properties of trehalose and its role in living organisms.

Functions of trehalose

One of the most interesting characteristics of trehalose, known as anhydrobiosis, refers to the fact that many living organisms synthesize this unique sugar as a response to prolonged periods of desiccation. The production of large quantities of trehalose may contribute to the survival of the living organism, even when it has lost more than 99% of its water.

Trehalose acts as a protectant for lipid bilayers by maintaining the lipid in a liquid phase during absence of water. Lipid bilayers (or phospholipid bilayer) are thin polar membranes that form a physical barrier between the cell and its environment. They require a degree of hydration to maintain their integrity, otherwise desiccation could result to irreversible damage of the cell.

Trehalose also protects labile cellular proteins against damage and denaturation caused by desiccation and oxidative stress. The ability of trehalose to stabilize and protect protein molecules has been exploited in biopharmaceutical formulations.

Applications of trehalose

Trehalose is widely used in the food industry, acting as a safe preservative by inhibiting the degradation of carbohydrates, proteins, and fatty acids in foods.

It is also used in cosmetics, functioning as a moisturizer, skin protectant and antioxidant.

Trehalose is a new entry in the pharmaceutical toolbox. It is applied in the biopharmaceutical industry to stabilise proteins, lipids, and carbohydrates, in the preservation of labile protein drugs and the cryopreservation of human cells.

Current studies investigate several other medical applications including the treatment of various neurodegenerative diseases, such as Parkinson, Huntington’s chorea and Alzheimer’s disease.

4 Likes

@shag i can order lab grade trehalose 99% and lab grade Chitosan Oligosaccharides in a few grams here in holland will that be good or is it a waste of money and better look for a cheaper one?

This can be just a regular sweetener type to save some cash but ya, you could use lab grade.

You need the Oligosaccharide type so just make sure of that and anything you get should be fine.

3 Likes

I added to this list.

@tamimes

3 Likes