TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Yeah, the Ghost Toof and Alaskan Purple both were stretchers. Canopy looks better. :+1::seedling:

2 Likes

I got so high after my update that I forgot i had made an update and updated again.

R2 is potent shit haha

5 Likes

Had some rain and wind last night and broke a branch of the 501st x SB. Tried to tie it back together we will see if it repairs but not likely.

Either way I had a break in the rain and had to act fast so I found something long for stakes and grabbed some string and got to work.

Its only temporary while I try to figure something else out but i think it should prevent them from bowing out for now.

10 Likes

Could ya not just get another couple of stakes for the other two corners and tie some string round all of it?

2 Likes

That’s what I did. Well, the other ends are tied to the fence instead of more stakes.

But they’re 7-8 feet high at this point so am going to have to find taller stakes. And a way to cover them up when the frost inevitably hits.

Gotta love outdoor growing hehe.

8 Likes

I hope the branch wasn’t a big one, that sucks They are looking spiffy after their wash down :relaxed:.

1 Like

Oh you know it was a big one, as round as my thumb. It broke at the base but I got it back in place it might heal back over.

But it looks like I’m gonna have to raise the…stakes… on this one…

7 Likes

Oh ho ho.!!!

Hardy har Rick!

3 Likes

Outdoor update

Big ones were pretty dry this morning. I only watered them once yesterday because we also had rain but I knew better. The repair job I did yesterday seems to be holding up so heres hoping I can save a spear of dope lol.

Couple pics of 2 of my FDM durban crosses from @Cobra50

The high flyer has pink pistils

The Cali-O started full bloom a week ahead of any other plant. Had some stemrot on the main top so had to remove it.

13 Likes

Day 40 something. Runoff is 4000ppm and rising. I’ve been giving them straight tap water now for the last couple days but it just doesnt seem to be going down. The plants look fine but I’m just being preventative as im assuming theres alot of build up in the coco that’s going to cause issues later on.

13 Likes

I covered all my big girls with net. The wind barely shakes them now. Weird how sturdy a net keeps them. Just a thought.

4 Likes

@Meesh

I have a net and was going to use it but had a consideration before using it.

When its netted, when the wind blows the whole plant wants to sway, instead of individual branches all swaying separately. I fear it would put all of the tension on the main stalk instead of the small branches which depending on how you look at it is a bad thing. I could imagine in my situation a big gust of wind come and either topple the whole plant over or break it at the base clean off.

So I reckon with a staked trellis on all sides, that now that tension is placed on the trellis wire and stakes.

But hey it’s all theory hehe

3 Likes

Had to do another flop on back left plant in the tent. Probably not necessary but the main was pretty windswept so I figured I’d flop it away from the fan and give it a rest.

Tent is way more full than I expected it to be at this point. Things are looking good.

10 Likes

Heres some pics of the Dark Sparks from the closet

Easy D

Da Green

14 Likes

I honestly couldn’t say in containers. In the ground the net makes all of the branches counter balance each other. Like if one starts to move it pulls another branch tighter to keep it from swaying. When I was told that this works, I honestly couldn’t understand how it would work on my monster plants as I have zero spatial skills, but I get it now as I watch the results in the wind. Can’t tell you how it will handle rain because if we get any it probably won’t be until October, but I’m guessing it works the same.

4 Likes

Damn those outdoor plants are taking over. I did something similar with stakes and wire to hold mine up, when in doubt add more wires lol. You can even put them diagonally across to hold up middle stuff if you can get into the jungle to run it across. Do you own a machete?

Autos are looking great too!

3 Likes

That’s exactly why I thought the net WOULD be troublesome. Before I put the trellis up I wrapped a few lengths of string around the plant, basically same as a net would do, and when pulling on the string that’s when I noticed the potential issue. I looked down at the base of the plant and it looked like the main stalk was doing all the swaying. I may be over thinking it but I still don’t think I went far enough in taming these monsters, imagine what they’ll be like with bud on them hehe.

4 Likes

I don’t think it will break, I’d probably net them and trellis them. Last year one heavy rain took down one of my container plants, split it right down the main stem without any net The buds were too heavy. Hope they stay up for you! This reminds me, I have to cage my one cbd photo plant that I have in a pot.

2 Likes

If anything I actually think it helps distribute the weight more evenly so less stress on main stem.

1 Like

Plants this size are new territory for me. I had originally thought that somehow, when the frost came, I’d be able to transport them from the garden into my garage. So I never planned on any netting or trellis at all because I figured I could just stake the branches off and it wouldn’t even be that big of a plant (hahahaha) It’s quickly becoming clear that’s just not going to be possible.

I’ll need to pull off some miracles to get these plants to harvest at this point, they’re barely flowering and they won’t be finished by the time frost hits. Gotta come up with a plan.

4 Likes