TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Have you considered throwing four long stakes into the ground inside the radius of your :evergreen_tree: and then put the trellis on?

The stakes should add extra support to the stem at the ground.

4 Likes

Me too, Brother. Never had plants this big either. I still can’t understand why I didn’t really believe they would get so large. Next year I’ll build them cage layers as they grow. I barely got the net up before they started to bud.

At least you can move them, although rolling planters would have been a blessing. Hindsight is always 20/20. lol Hope you can at least get some immature bud off them if need be. Not perfect, but it’s something.

2 Likes

That’s basically what I did, only 2 plants are sharing the 4 stakes.

I’ll probably do like @beacher mentioned and run some more wire diagonally. Lots and lots of anchor points. Will be a mess but will work lol.

@Meesh I can’t move these hahaha! well I mean I could but certainly not without badly damaging them. I even have a tractor and utility trailer but I know its just not happening. Going to have to tarp them or something when the frost comes. I just don’t know.

4 Likes

Makeshift greenhouse? Like some of those green plastic wavy panels (I’m really girly so I don’t know proper names for stuff) and some pvc maybe? Think you could pull it down pretty easily too once they were done and reuse next year.

5 Likes

It’s clear that if I’m going to continue to run plants this size in the tent I’ll have to stick with 3 plants. But running this cramped is nothing new to me at this point hehe

12 Likes

Been seeing some spotting and crazy high ppm (4000!) runoff so I guess it’s time for a full flush. Flushed down to 200ppm and will be backing off food to 550ppm for a few days to see how they respond before bringing it back to 700-750.

Re-arranged them too to better utilize the light placement.

13 Likes

Update on the outdoor. Plants were pretty hungry this morning as I’ve been giving them just water. I’m very low on megacrop and want to save it for my indoor plants until I’m able to re-up. So I still have a few doses of the old Dutch Nutrient Formula I might as well use up.

The big plants looks to finally be in full bloom, thank god.

The durbans are way ahead of the pack.

15 Likes

That’s good, a bit of relief when they start flowering, at least you know roughly when they are going to finish now. Just have to pray for a nice Indian summer into October.

2 Likes

I think I may have found some one with an R2 mother, he is flowering one out atm, I asked him to contact me when he makes some more clones.

2 Likes

Awesome! That is great news!

1 Like

Meh it’s not that crowded lol, you could probably ram one more small plant in there!

Do you do anything special with your mega crop levels, or just follow the feed schedule? I think I’ve been overdoing mine a bit…still getting the feel of it

1 Like

I’ve recently switched to MegaCrop 2.0 and I’m still dialing it in. I had been feeding at 850ppm because that’s what Greenleaf recommended. I think that’s a tad too high as last round I also had similar spotting when I ran it at these levels.

I’m going to run it between 650-750ppm now as that’s what others are finding works good with the new formula.

2 Likes

That’s all through flowering? I’m definitely way too high then I’m like 1100+ lol. I found I had to go higher on veg to keep my plants happy, maybe I’ll stick around that level for bud and see how they do. Thanks!

1 Like

1100ppm was fine with the old formula, it’s what I used to run, I’ve found you dont need nearly as much with the new stuff.

I guess it’s just important to check the runoff to make sure the plant is using all those ppms you’re putting in, else you end up like me with a huge buildup of nutes in the coco lol

2 Likes

Ya good call, I pretty much never check runoff. Thanks for the tips :+1:

1 Like

Yea… used to run about 100ppm per gram but not seems to triple that… My old plants used to suck up 10g/gal of megacrop V1 and wanted more… Now I struggle to use more than 6g of the V2

1 Like

Basically this is what was happening.

Hoping the flush fixed things but as of right now the issue is getting worse.

5 Likes

@Tinytuttle (and others of course) give me some advice

I’m out of food for my outdoor plants, oh no!

What all can I gather around my property to quickly whip up an effective tea for flowering?

2 Likes

Dandelions about to flower blended up in water, a bit of worm cast, and or composted manure will work good.

Looks like, calcium deficiency, with those brown spots and starting to yellow a bit.

2 Likes

Ya stuff like @Shadey mention maybe go find some good broken down leaf matter under a pile of sticks and leaves , can never go wrong with good ol EWC!

R these in a soiless potting mix then?

2 Likes