TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Burn some sticks up for a good source of potash

2 Likes

Have you tried epsom salt in anything yet?

Ru you growing any comfrey?

3 Likes

My daughter and her boyfriend had a fire in the pit last night, just went and got 2 litres of ashes out of it, put a quarter of it in 5 Gals of rain water, and 2 dandelion cubes from the freezer. Hands are filthy now :relaxed: stuck the rest of the ashes in a nearly finished bag of kelp meal.

2 Likes

Make sure to save the little bits of charcoal for future biochar!

1 Like

Ok so I gathered up some nettle, young dandelions, alfalfa, clover and a little grass.

Added some water, mushed and squeezed and pulled and mixed it all together.

Should I leave it for a few hours? Overnight? How much do I dilute it? Hard questions to answer I know but this is all new to me I’m used to just sprinkling some magic juice on my plants and watching them grow.

I live beside a quarter horse farm and have mountains of shit and fields of alfalfa as far as the eye can see that I could use.

@Shadey do you make your own castings or buy them? What is the cost?

7 Likes

I just mushed them into powder lol.

1 Like

I have been buying about $25 for a 25-30 liter bag of oranic worm casts, now if I want some I just take it straight out my pots lol, the worms have turned all the soil in them to EWC lol.

3 Likes

Ya I’d let it stew for a few days if ya can aerate it great if not stir it several times a day 3 days strain it diluted out 1quart/ gallon or two would be ok don’t let it get putrid apply before that happens you’ll be getting good microbiology in their as well!

6 Likes

Nice thanks for the info guys! I will strain off the big stuff before using it. Hell I might as well add an air stone too since I have one.

Will look into getting some EWC and/or nightcrawlers asap. $25 for a 30L bag how long would that last are you just using half a cup at a time or do you go through it fast?

4 Likes

I use a half cup with 2 gals of water but I am adding other stuff in my teas as well. The bag I have I bought in January and its not even half empty, and I use it in a mix for seedlings and clones as well as teas. For seedlings and clones I go 25% EWC 25% composted manure 25% promix organic, and 25% super soil as it has some perlite in it.

For teas I use it with the composted manure as a base, and depending on whether its veg or flower I mix other stuff to boost the N or P ratios.

5 Likes

@Shadey is throwing down some good info really you can’t over do it IMO after doing it awhile you kind of just get a gut feeling for things how much at what times

4 Likes

I figured as much. Thanks again @Shadey @Tinytuttle I’ve got some learning to do.

This is my (admittedly) sorry attempt at a tea. It’s got lots of good stuff in there though, just no manure or ewc. Cant hurt I wouldn’t think lol.

4 Likes

Looks good, you will be surprised how much goodness comes out of that, If you have any woodland nearby, I am sure you do in NS lol, clear the leaves or under a big log and grab 2-3 handfuls of that stuff, and chuck it in as well. Just because its free don’t mean its not up to much lol. I think you will be pleasantly surprised :slight_smile: You could fire a teaspoon on molasses in there as well, if you have any kicking about, or a half can of organic dollar store coconut water. I would add some more water to it as well, 2-3 gals give the bacteria room to breath.

3 Likes

Awesome good to hear. I’m surrounded by trees and swamp and have a horse farm right next door that stores their manure in my back field. Also an alfalfa field. Theres resources here. And I could just get my own nightcrawlers my yard is full of them.

Plus I have this:

3 years worth of promix, coco, yard waste, coffee grinds, some banana peels, old rootballs and such.

Theres wet swampland all around it and under it.

9 Likes

Grab a few handfuls of what’s at the bottom of that. You’re after the microbes. :+1::seedling:

10 Likes

@ReikoX @Shadey

Done and done

17 Likes

Perfect, looks yummy.

4 Likes

That’s how you feed your plants for pennies!

9 Likes

Getting worse. I’m being told in the MegaCrop thread that its mag def and I need to increase dosage, but I’m hesitant because it was at high dosage when it started happening.

8 Likes

@TrevorLahey you’ve may have seen my worm bins I harvest at least three times a year I have two pots going and can get at least a 5 gallon bucket if not more out of one bin 6 five gallons is a lot of worm shit💩 I put that shit on everything thing ! Sounds like like a Red Hot Tabasco ad eh?

2 Likes