TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Yeah :joy:,…

2 Likes

Get yourself a 25 gallon smartpot and a 1/2 pound of worms you won’t be disappointed! You’ll reduce garbage waste and have the worlds most perfectly balanced fertilizer at your fingertips!

2 Likes

@Tinytuttle

I was going to ask how many worms I needed and how long it takes for them to make something usable. That’s actually not that much. And yeah I’d like to do a worm bin. I’m wary of adding any food waste or manure as I don’t want to attract rats which have been a problem in the past.

3 Likes

It will take a bit to get going yes! It’s said that a worm can eat half to x1 it’s weight a day so say in a weeks time 1 lb can reduce 3.5 lbs of waste on the conservative side I’d say in a months time you’d have something good to use just do a little sieving of the bedding material and use whatever drops out they multiply like mad when conditions are right for them! I’ll go snap a pic live time under a cantaloupe I place in the bed a day or two ago!

3 Likes

They will self regulate reproduction to the amount of food they get, they basically produce their own weight in crap a day.Ha Tiny posted as I was typing :wink:

3 Likes

Well @TrevorLahey they cantaloupe is basically just a skin at this point !

9 Likes

That’s freaking cool. Still not sure if that’s smart for me, though, as the fucking rats invade here every time I have any food waste in the yard.

First time I tried doing this I was putting fruit and veggie waste into my compost pile and omg the rats were everywhere after a week.

4 Likes

This bin is ready to harvest should of probably done it weeks ago but worms wil back through their own cast from what Iv gathered and make finer cast I probably can’t even hardly move these bins I’ll have my son hel move them from time to time sometime it’s a small effort just to tip them over into a tarp!

3 Likes

Ru talking full Huge rats or just little mice? This can also be done inside in a little tucked away corner of a house basement, or garage they do Not stink at all some references iv seen have people convert living room furniture into worm bins! Worm towers can work inside megaworm inn are good indoors

4 Likes

Full huge rats lol As mentioned before theres a horse farm next door with sketchy waste disposal practices.

4 Likes

Yea inside would probably be your best bet then they are very hardy creatures ! Very cold to extremely warm temps they have a wide temp range

4 Likes

Or buy my castings lol. That is more appealing to me than a box full of worms and (potentially) other bugs too in my house hehe.

I suppose I could do a covered tote outside though. But then flies which are already a huge problem here.

Probably best to source and buy my castings locally I see them around places all the time. Might reach out to a local friend of mine who has bins too.

4 Likes

Ya rats can chew right through plastic when they want to plus I don’t like plastic bins … don’t breath well enough imo if ya don’t like squirming things the friend option pribabythe best route

4 Likes

Feed back to 1.7ec. Just gonna go with it. Bud should still grow fine leaves will just look ugly.

Oh and my DIY tea smells funky today, I assume that’s a good thing?

8 Likes

I really like being able to watch my plants remotely.

They grew taller than the 31" tower fan the “camera” was mounted to so had to duct tape it to the side of the tent.

Gotta say it’s a nice view, too bad camera quality sucks lol

9 Likes

Yeah, so long as it’s not a really bad smell.

Although my teas with neem meal in them, smell pretty bad sometimes.

None of your ingredients have been in the bucket long enough to go bad yet.

They should do a TV channel, with weed growing, like the fireplace and fish tank ones lol.

5 Likes

Its funky, kinda swampy smelling. It’s only gone up like 50ppm since I added all this stuff, idk if TDS is even a consideration in this case but I stuck my meter in because why not lol.

3 Likes

I never thought of doing that with my teas.

You’re going for mostly bacteria and food here, so once that gets into the soil, they will be little store houses of good stuff, all revved up and ready to make food, might even act like that enzyme stuff you can buy, for clearing salts and dead roots in the soil.

2 Likes

Heres a big stinky photo dump of the outdoor girls. Random because fuck it.

11 Likes

Looking wonderful, you have a couple getting hungry I see, I hope you have enough tea for them all lol.

1 Like