TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

Thats sad to see Trev, I feel for you man, at least they are still gaining size, even if compromised a bit.

I emailed efficiency NS yesterday to find out when they will be doing there offers. I got an email back today saying they are no longer covering the normal LED bulbs as the prices have come down and are almost level or cheaper than they were with their discounts :frowning:

So I will start hunting again for the cheapest bulbs I can find with a reasonable quality, probably Noma from crappy tire, they have or had a special on $15 for 8 bulbs, hoping they are still on sale. If not probably dollarama, the Costco ones had a lot of bad reviews, saying they were not lasting very long.

3 Likes

Thanks for the pep talks peeps! Sometimes it’s easy to get discouraged especially when you have a string of bad luck but it’s good to have friends that can reassure me that my path is true!

Much love!

6 Likes

Outdoor photo dump

It rained all night, still raining now, thank god I had some supports up as my one random fem got dat leannnn

11 Likes

Plants are full of death today. I picked off all the dead and almost dead stuff. I’m looking for mold I feel like I can smell it but cant see it with my camera or naked eye. Maybe I’m paranoid? I dont know…

8 Likes

I think you might be getting a little anxious, I am the same with the autos, I go over them with a fine tooth combe every morning looking for mould, surprised they have any sugar leaves left the way I keep tugging them, to check lol.

6 Likes

Tucking em in for the night

Also I wonder how much impact this is having on things

9 Likes

That’s roughly where my flower room has sat at today 45% rh.

3 Likes

Ahhh it was meant to be expanded. But 33C temps too, which I imagine is higher during the day.

2 Likes

33C that’s not good no wonder they are burning, probably drinking and expirating twice as much as normal and sucking up far more nutrients than they need. Lower humidity will make it worse as well.

I am not sure whether to replace the HPS over the hog and Sebs rev until they finish. Not sure if the change in spectrum this late in the game, will screw them up again, they have been messed about a lot in the last 3 weeks.

4 Likes

Great looking patch of weed going on there @TrevorLahey! Looking purdy!

1 Like

I was just thinking this myself (in regards to my dad’s plants). Combine the fact that they use amino acids to chelate the nutrients, they are probably getting over fed as a result…

4 Likes

Well gents I hate to go down the rabbit hole with ya but hear me out.

@ReikoX you might be on to something here!

I actually noticed last night after seeing the high temps, the parts of the plants closest and directly under the light are the most damaged. I did some testing around today with a temp gun and sure enough the cooler spots tend to be the parts where theres basically no damage at all.

Furthermore, if you look at the plants in the closet upstairs that are only running on 72w of SIL at a constant 25C and have been getting fed the exact same nutrients, none of them have this happening to them…

8 Likes

For those wondering if BTk works…

4 Likes

Sad to see the girls in that awfully state Trev :frowning: But think of it as an never ending learning curve I guess.

Really enjoyed reading your grow log, and would wholeheartly thank you for your commitment and caring-sharing posts :slight_smile: I’ve learned a lot from you! :slight_smile:

Keep your chin up soldier! :smiley:

3 Likes

Picked up a bag of this and some perlite at a really good price today. I guess next round is organic then?

Gonna need some advice on how to proceed from my organic friends!

8 Likes

List of ingredients looks good. Not sure if it will be enough to go water only all through flower though…

5 Likes

I figured as much before I bought it even though it was sold to me as better than another water-only soil blend that I know works. He said I can add some ewc during flower, but is there anything else I should look into picking up to add when the time comes?

Organic is new to me but I’m excited to see what all the fuss is about. I know I cheated by buying the pre-mixed blends but it was pretty cheap in the grand scheme of things where I’m only growing max 6 plants in 3L containers.

3 Likes

With the small pots you will definitely need to add extra. You really need a 5 gal minimum, I would think unless you are going to grow them a lot smaller than you have been. Bigger pots is less work as the soil maintains its balance easier.

My mothers are in 1.5 liter pots and they always need NPK and cal mag every other week to stop the deficiencies happening, even when they get them it can happen, because something goes out of whack quickly.

We are getting heavy showers atm here, hoping it will stay like this lol.

4 Likes

I dont mind adding stuff every other week at all as long as its accessible and cheap. I just need to know what I’m going to need. Only growing autos in them too and I’m sure that factors into things as they finish in 8-9 weeks from sprout. Currently I’m mixing up fertilizer 4 times a day so yeah…

I can go a bit bigger on the containers too, I didnt realize that played into things, biology-wise. I’m limited on space though so it’s tough. I have to start them in my closet with not enough headroom for large containers.

Open to any suggestions, really as to how I can make this stuff work and fill this 2x4 tent with autos that will finish and be happy and big like the autos I grow now.

2 Likes

Also… this storm ramping up

10 Likes