TrevorLahey's Low Budget Growing Part 4: "The Hunger Games"

I hope old jack frost decides not to visit you man, be lucky.

How the plants man I didn’t get my arse out of bed until 10am this morning, was there frost last night, sure felt cold enough around 12.30 when I went to bed.

I hope the plants faired well.

2 Likes

All your posts last night had me second guessing myself. Woke up at 5am to check on the plants it was still dark and there was frost on the leaves.

They’re fine.

I think we gotta remember that theres a bit of thermogenesis going on with plants. They are keeping themselves warm, so a near zero frost they can tough it out and weather through it.

Still though, rough morning lol

8 Likes

I am glad they were ok, you never know if you’re going to get a freak killer frost.

2 Likes

Now go to value village or your local equivalent and buy yourself a bunch of cheap sheets or blankets to use for covering up your girls.

You got away with it this time, do you really want to take the chance that the next frost is just as mild?

3 Likes

I’ve been playing by ear for years. I usually consult some of my other local grower friends to see what they are doing when frosts hit. Last night no one seemed to be worried. Got an older friend who lives nearby who’s been growing a real long time tell me not to worry about it this time.

I’ll see what I can do though for some sort of covering. I’m very wary of draping anything over my plants as the last time i did this i molded out an entire plant almost overnight.

I have a roll of burlap here, but once again I would be nervous bundling up all my buds in it when I wrap it around my plants.

4 Likes

Anytime you cover your plants overnight, you need to be vigilant about uncovering them as early as possible the following morning…

3 Likes

A casualty. Same plant lost another branch last week to the same thing. This was just a little side branch though.

4 Likes

Damn the rot, God was a git for inventing that lol.

1 Like

Go through this every year, but usually dont see it this early. I always reach a point where I’m tired of picking it off and will just harvest, finished or not.

4 Likes

Pretty much how I felt when I chopped the autos, I couldn’t stand to see any more get eaten away by it.

3 Likes

Mind you, the only time I’ve seen frost in my 47 years on this earth once, in a different state, But, I’m hearing a story in my head of Dad saying my Gramps used to get up in the wee hours when frost was coming to hose down all of his plants or something?? Don’t know if I heard him right, but is this a thing? Would it help or hurt? Mind you frost is incredibly rare here and on the occasion it would probably last only a very short time, so just wanted to throw this out there.

4 Likes

Yes for sure that’s a well known agricultural technique. It works for sure lots of people do it, it’s always worried me for the obvious reasons but theres no denying its effective.

4 Likes

Well, if it starts getting bad, it’s worth a shot. I suppose.

3 Likes

So what’s this trick, hose your plants down with water to stop the frost attacking them?

1 Like

You could just have a small fire on the ground under the plants :fire:

5 Likes

Did someone say fire?

1 Like

Yea, it’s frost BURN.
A spray before sun hits will do it.
I’M thinking, if it’s cold, as long as the water is warmer then you should be ok
With a light misting spray before sunup, to reduce the pm risk.
You don’t want to water them, just let them know it’s not that cold. I’m really stoned and can barely type lol. But, you know what i mean from that bambling?

5 Likes

Had a flash frost last night. Things appear okay on first inspection today. This is crazy, first frost was October 6th last year.

6 Likes

Yep, that was the day I made the mistake of bringing my only outside plant, inside my flower room :frowning: Got a small infestation of aphids on 2 of my plants 2 weeks before they were due to finish.

3 Likes