Help with DIY Tribus?

Since I don’t have access to the product by Impello here, I’ve got the listed bacterial strains in a powder format at 5 billion cfu/gram.
The powder is water soluble and I was thinking I’d just add all 3 strains to water and then add some potassium sorbate/sodium benzoate to inhibit mold.

Do I need to add anything else?
Like alfalfa tea?

1 Like

Why are you adding so many things?

Do you have mold?

Back off on the water.

So should I just add the powder directly to the nute water?

I am making my own microbial innoculant

https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/heisenberg-tea-summary-cheap-easy-beneficial-bacteria-to-cure-root-issues.958893/

Here is a recipe for Heisenberg tea, a live inoculate. It works great. It will stain your roots so don’t mistake it for rot. You can find some different variations but this is the one I have used in the past.

2 Likes

i have tried to make my own tribus before and found it very hard/not viable at the concentrations of the impello.

did you source the bacterial strains locally or from the internet?

the impello guys have a website with general guidelines for a diy innoculant based on fermented milk. theres also this guide for a myco innoculant - but dont have a guide for just powders. when i get myco on powder i just add it to the medium when i mix it. if youre doing organic you may not need the high concentration of the impello - i may be wrong but, if youre doing organics they will reproduce and sustain the population. but if youre on inorganic you need something like impello to keep population high with continuos re-applications since they cannot reproduce and die quickly in an inorganic medium.

ill be ver interested in your results, please post your progress if you go ahead with it.

2 Likes

If you’re using a powdered microbe that’s got all your goodies just put it in with the nutes. If you want it to proliferate so you’re not dumping tablespoons and stretching it out, use molasses and mix it up earlier in the day. Just put like a smidge in your nutes. Check the inert ingredients, too. Might be that potassium whatever you’re overthinking of putting in. I use the Fish Sh!t the same way, just less. Just initial potting really. PH before you add the stuff.

Blockquote
did you source the bacterial strains locally or from the internet?

Well I got it from a biological company at the concentration of 5 billion cfu/gram.

@DirtMcGirrt

The SDS for Tribus lists the 3 bacterial strains along with some preservatives and EDTA.
Let’s see if it works out.

My plan was to dissolve the 3kg of powder in water and add some alfalfa tea, aerate it, and add some preservatives.
This way I can use them in a liquid form

You sure about alfalfa tea and not just some molasses like you’re making some LAB concentrate liquid? Like hit me with that info, I like learning.

OH! That’s an idea. LAB concentrate is stored the fridge. Should help preserve your liquid?

Yeah I read that it’s a good food source.
I’m just experimenting to see what works out anyway

1 Like

My initial thought was that alfalfa tea isn’t as “clean” of a food source. Might get who knows what proliferating, too.

Isn’t that true about all food sources though then?

Since the powder is dextrose based, my original plan was to just dissolve it in water and add some preservatives but I’m thinking it might need some food source if it’s got to stay alive for a couple of months?
I don’t know if just adding the powders to the pots would work out for me, since I grow in coco

Dextrose would work, too, I’d think. Really all the microbes should need is some sugars until you enter them into the buffet of soil. My thought is that molasses is naturally a bit sterile because the sugar content is so high. (thinking about how it’s used with LAB homemade concentrates) Alfalfa is dry and def not sterile in any way.

I guess I’ll just let it be in dextrose then and add some preservatives to the water solution.

Since the solubility is somewhere around 900gms/litre, I guess I’ll make 3 individual litres of the innoculant and then mix them up

1 Like

I like the sound of it. This is just my mycology brain working too and thinking about how you’re aiming to proliferate target microbes.

I’m guessing the dextrose will be enough as a food source?

1 Like