Trinity's First Grow - Organic Lemon Ice

First off, a huge thanks to the OG community, I’ve learnt so much already just from reading and asking a couple of questions. This place is awesome!

Thought this might be a useful thing to do for myself and for others who can hopefully learn from all the mistakes I’m going to make…

The strain is Amsterdam Genetics Lemon Ice, and they’re being grown organically.

Light - 250W CFL Veg, 600W HPS Bloom (may change out to LED for bloom)
Medium - BioBizz LightMix (peat pellets to start)
Nutrients - BioBizz - RootJuice, BioGrow, BioBloom, then probably Top Max and/or Bio Heaven etc, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get to it.

From 10 seeds, 8 made it through seedling growth. Here are the survivors 14 days after first sprouting. They’ve had a second feeding with Root Juice, will go onto BioGrow soon.

Doing everything in a 1.2m x .8m cabinet, but that’ll become the bloom box for the next run, got a wardrobe lined up for conversion to a veg box with a propagation box at the bottom.

Looking forwards to learning more as I go with this.

28 Likes

Looking good and welcome! Do you have a fan blowing on those seedlings to help strengthen them up?

8 Likes

Hi @trinity
Welcome to Overgrow. Have fun, and keep us posted

7 Likes

Looking good! Avoid the temptation to overwater, trust me it’s hard lol.

That strain should be nice, good combo!

6 Likes

Yep, got a little clip fan blowing over the top of them, just giving them a bit of a gentle sway

5 Likes

Thanks, yeh I’m being cautious. Some are thirstier than others, the weight of the pots indicates it, and generally corresponds to the size of the plant above ground.

Lemon Haze is an all time favourite, so I’m hoping to come out with something just as tasty!

6 Likes

All’s going well, and I’ve resisted the urge to feed, although I think tomorrow I’ll introduce them to some BioGrow :slight_smile:

7 of the 8 are chugging along nice and uniformly, some are just onto their fourth nodes, and those that aren’t don’t look far behind

Here’s Margo looking beautiful!

Now the most interesting of the lot is sister Roberta here

She’s been lagging behind in node count, but the stems of her second one have been taking all the energy by the looks of things, and she’s been one of the most thirsty. She’s also always been the tallest…

But now she’s got going with the next node, it looks like a double! That’s pretty exciting. Hopefully it’s nothing to worry about, and she’s gonna be a beauty. Has anybody come across this?

Tx

9 Likes

I’m locked in man, I used biobizz products on my very first grow and I saw basically no results but I used it in coco not soil so be cool to see how ya get on man :+1:

2 Likes

Day 25 from seedling

They’re all responding well to the Biogrow. They’ve had three feedings since my last post, and straight ph6.5 water today. Just feeding/watering until we get a bit of run-off, and judging by weight over anything else.

The double node girl’s looking good, it’s almost like she self-topped!

On the subject of topping, I’ve seen people giving plants slightly less developed than this the chop, and I like the idea of spreading the canopy out with more colas (since I think I have the space width wise, and will likely only take 6 of them through to flower), so I’m thinking of going for it tonight before lights out to give them the night to recover.

I’m not sure what to do about the self-topper, I have a feeling she’s gonna be real tall, so maybe a double-top is required…?

Here’s a side profile of Scully. The rest are at a similar stage of development. She’s on at least her fourth set of multi-fingered leaves, starting her fifth so maybe it’s time to top her…? I’d appreciate some advice, I’m sure it’s a contentious issue…

I’m also keen to start training them out for width over height, but I’ll leave that until they’re settled in their mid-size pots. Had a look at one of them out of her pot last night, and the roots have still got a bit of space, maybe a few days to a week off re-potting.

Here’s Scully from above.

I think they’re looking OK. I’ve added a tube heater, and it dried their soil out quicker than I anticipated the other day. I fed them as soon as I realised, and I think I caught it in time. They seem to have taken it in their stride :slight_smile:

Tx

9 Likes

Day 32 from seedling

I decided to top four of them last week. I tried to FIM Margo, but clearly I missed (second in from the right at the back…). But hey, I’m allowed to make mistakes, it’s my first go :slight_smile:

The other three that I did properly top have responded really well, with new growths shooting off as they’re supposed to!

Here’s Natalie post-top

We also transplanted them all up into larger pots, as they were starting to require watering every day, and the roots were filling out their little pots really well.

Now for the sad news… Two of them have to go! The plan was always to take six through to flowering, and it’s already pretty obvious that eight’s too many in this box! Once there’s a bit more space in there I can start some LST, and will top all the others.

Should I be worried about topping off more than one growth on a plant in one go? Roberta (the self-topper) could really do with it on both her main stems now, but I don’t want to hit her too hard in one go.

I really wish I could feel safe and secure enough to gift the others to an OG member or two, but I think the whole process would trip me out too much, and I don’t need that anxiety! Hopefully I can find homes for them locally, otherwise there’s gonna be some heart wrenching, cold blooded plant murder :cry:

That’s no reflection on this community at all, just my paranoia/anxiety about communicating about this stuff in the real world.

11 Likes

I love your beauties :blush:, they are really good looking, nice job done and will keep an eye because compared to mine’s it’s clear I have many things to learn from you … :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Welcome to OG @trinity plants are looking great! Are them feminized regs seeds then? was just wondering if Roberta would would every become a Robert! Lol

2 Likes

Thank you! :blush:

It’s probably just beginners luck that they’ve made it this far without disaster. I’m really fond of them though, they are beauties.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for having me!

They’re feminised, yep. I think I can already see pistils on them all. Here’s the best photo I have of Roberta from earlier today. I’ll get in closer when I’m next with them tomorrow. Hopefully you can see what I’m talking about.

Maybe I’m jumping the gun and mis-sexing them, I’m just going off pictures online and in books. I’d hate for her to be a him though, no space for dudes in here!

5 Likes

I don’t really see anything front and center however that upper branch if it was rotated a bit and more light we might be able to verify

3 Likes

I’ll get some close ups posted later on :slight_smile:
Thanks for taking a look!

2 Likes

This is about the best I could do with my phone. What do you think, too soon to tell?

Strange how she’s grown at that point there, but it seems isolated to that one node.

Here’s her other stem

And here’s another plant that was easier to photograph

3 Likes

There’s no preflowers there yet they’ll start showing up behind those pointy flaps in the crouch of the plant

2 Likes

Cool, thank you.

Getting my wires crossed. That’s good news though, it felt way too early.

Nice one

Tx

2 Likes

Looks like a real 420 treat for me today!

I think we have pistils! That pic’s of Roberta (not a Robert after all, thankfully!), but a few others are showing sex too, all with nice little whispy female preflowers :slight_smile:

5 Likes