Trinity's First Grow - Organic Lemon Ice

I had same issues I bought some amazon 67pence digital freezer thermometers in my early days of starting and the battery lasts a while so I had one sat with the canopy and the other sat in the rafters of the tent. I had my hygrometer next to the same place as the canopy and the rafters there was a 3 degree difference in temp but I trust my hygrometer more as it cost more so I go with that I threw the cheap ones out :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And bit of advice they donā€™t like touching the sides/tops of domes bro so you could use something on the edge of the prop to raise the top a little higher than the tops of your cuts :+1: looking really good by the way been watching this since you started and clearly I did something wrong with biobizz so keep up the good work man. :100:

5 Likes

Thanks for confirming my suspicion about the clones. If I prop the lid up though, the humidity will drop. Iā€™m gonna work out a DIY solution right away.

The thermometer Iā€™ve had since the start has served me well this far, so Iā€™m gonna stick with it. The Sonoff is still very useful for automating the heater on at night time (since thereā€™s definitely no need for it in the day now!) but maybe I wonā€™t let it stress me out when I see it creeping towards 30degCā€¦

And thanks for watching along :slight_smile: Iā€™ve just kept the feeding regular and within guidelines, and done whatever I can to keep the environment how they like it. They love the BioBizz grow nutes, Iā€™ve had significant growth spurts in really short spaces of time right after feeding. Hopefully they respond as well with the addition of the bloom nutes, I have a feeling if I can pull this off and keep them healthy, weā€™re in for a bumper harvest from these babes. Fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Haha my ā€œghettoā€ propagator is on my thread I just used some cling film/clear wrap/food wrap stuff to seal the edges but u can do whatever works for you.

I used biobizz in my first ever grow but at that time I was massively misinformed on what I knew or what I thought I knew and I used canna coco with biobizz nutes but I didnā€™t even use the full line I was told I would only need bloom so I got like 10G a plant off of a 600W HPS, a costly lesson so I soon learned that whatever nute line youā€™re using itā€™s always best to stick with their brand so canna has its nute line for coco. Biobizz has promix lightmix etc for the biobizz plantmagic for plantmagic etc etc the list goes on but since I did that Iā€™ve never used biobizz nutes but clearly following the actual feed chart with their dirt works cos your garden is looking nice :+1:

4 Likes

To me looks like one more section of node length could be trimmed off of most which would lower the profile a good 4-6 inches, looking good are the leaves trimmed back to about 50% that would give a bit more room on the top side!

5 Likes

Had a bit of a reshuffle in there, trimmed a few more leaves back, and weā€™re good. Hopefully disturbing them hasnā€™t had a negative effect on their chances of rooting. Ah cloningā€™s scary!

I was thinking prop the dome lid up on some clothes pegs or something then clingfilm around it. Looks like I donā€™t have to worry about it, but Iā€™ll cut shorter clones in future. Iā€™m happiest when Iā€™m learning.

Tx

9 Likes

@Explorer if you decide to do a grow in soil, the lightmix is great. Itā€™s low in nutes so youā€™re in charge. Iā€™ve got nothing to compare to, but Iā€™m happy with BioBizz so far. My options were limited when I decided I wanted to go organic, but I like how itā€™s going.

6 Likes

Bit of a battle today with temperature. Found that the bug catcher screens I put in the round louvers were pretty dusty and were impeding airflow, so I cleaned them out. I only put one back in to try and improve intake.

Itā€™s only now itā€™s cooling down where I am and thereā€™s some nice cool air flowing through the room that Iā€™ve managed to get the temp down to 25C with the light around 50cm from the canopy. Itā€™s not exactly high summer, in fact itā€™s pretty average mid-teen highs at the moment.

What else can I do to keep it cool in there during the day? Iā€™m at a bit of a loss.

On the bright side, I installed a trellis net and hacked pc fan today.

Tx

9 Likes

They look awesome and as very happy :heart: Great job dear one! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use lightmix as a base too :wink:

4 Likes

Whatā€™s the temperature in the room youā€™re taking air from? How many cubic feet is your tent, and how many CFM is your fan?

Also, what size is the hole for your fan, and how many intakes do you have (and what size are they)?

4 Likes

@beacher sorry I donā€™t have time to work out all the numbers right now, but this is what Iā€™m using, only mine only has two 4" inlets at the bottom of the cabinet (you can see the grey louvers in my very first post in this thread). Theyā€™ll be impeding airflow by their very design, and I guess those bug screens werenā€™t helping. Itā€™s a 5" outlet from the fan, Iā€™m pretty certain.

The room temps fluctuate with the weather, but Iā€™m sure weā€™re canā€™t be going above around 18C in there. Itā€™s kinda levelled out in there today though, now Iā€™ve cleaned one bug screen and removed the other. A little concerned about pests now, but Iā€™ve seen no sign so far.

The standalone thermometer that Iā€™m more inclined to trust is sitting at the canopy reading low-mid twenties today, and most importantly the plants are looking happy. The transplantā€™s not slowed them down at all, more and more future colas (fingers crossed) are poking out above the trellis, and weā€™re training them down gently to get a nice even spread across the net.

No signs of heat stress/damage so far, and the goal for the next week or two is to establish a nice even canopy across the net, so upward growth should be controlled to an extent for now.

Clones are looking happy, theyā€™ve had a good misting today, and their peat pellets are nice and moist.

Tx

3 Likes

Thanks @AUM ! Your growā€™s looking amazing, itā€™s really got me inspired to try growing multiple strainsā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m guessing the 2 4ā€ inlets are passive intake so no actual fan? But tbh if youā€™re running a 600W hps and youā€™ve got a 5ā€ fan depending on the temp of the air where youā€™re pulling in from so if passive will be the same room then if spitting the heat out with outtake to the same room you could be hitting 30C+ depending on CFM of the fan and whether intake is passive or fan assisted.

Just for an example when I was running my 1.5x1.5x2m tent I had one 600W hps bulb running with my 6ā€ fan and I had to run my fan on full which pulls around 530CFM with carbon filter attached but I had passive intake and my outtake was into the same room which meant the ambient temperature would only go up so sometimes itā€™d get to 29 by the end of an 18 hour cycle or during flower(1212)when outside started warming up.

2 Likes

ā€¦ its 5 times more fun then growing one strain :slight_smile: ā€¦ may be I will do that when I found the best strain ever :wink:

4 Likes

I see what youā€™re getting at with the circulation of air back into the room. Fortunately the cabā€™s in a pretty large room with fairly high ceilings. The whole house is drafty and has no double glazing, and we encourage airflow throughout, and are doing so even more now the hps is on.

The cabinetā€™s had the fan, filter and light specā€™d to its dimensions, so I guess itā€™s been my clogged inlets (theyā€™re passive inlets, no fans) causing the overheating in the first instance. Seems under control now, and like I said the girls seem to love it! Iā€™m over-thinking it all I think. Iā€™m out of town for a few days but theyā€™re in safe hands, and Tank & Dozer know to keenly monitor temps and keep me informed :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

If you had them things blocking flow then doing what youā€™ve done has probably sorted it now, I donā€™t tend to stress too much over temp personally cos you think about the outdoor growers here surely everyday in their location wonā€™t always be between 25-28C.

All failing temp wise just remove your carbon filter Louvre thing and itā€™ll suck more air or get a little 4ā€ booster for intake air theyre not overly expensive or if your UK I could sort a 4ā€ booster fan.

4 Likes

Youā€™re probably right, no need to worry too much about it. Iā€™m kinda hesitant to install an inlet fan, I want to keep internal pressure down to optimise the extractor fan. Weā€™ll see how we go.

Thanks for the offer :slight_smile:

Tx

3 Likes

Day 6 of flower

I havenā€™t seen them in a few days, so it was nice to come home and see them charging. Their stems are really thickening out and looking strong, and theyā€™re gaining plenty of height and foliage.

I spent a little while training them down as you can see. Some in the middle were showing signs of heat stress I think. Edges of leaves getting a bit crispy. I donā€™t think anybodyā€™s raised the lamp with their growth, so I raised it up a little today.

Also Iā€™m worried about their final height, and how high I can position the lamp in the cab. Iā€™m trying to use the net to cheat some of their height gain horizontally, if that makes sense.

Iā€™ve left some of the stems towards the outside of the cab untrained, or just guided into a square in the grid. Theyā€™re less at risk from the light, so just for the next few days to a week, I want them to be a control group in my first little experiment with training. Theyā€™ll no doubt get bent down soon enough.

Thereā€™s one stem that I did train down a few days ago, and itā€™s really strengthened and thickened up! I was probably less extreme with it than I have been with the rest today, so hereā€™s hoping the rest benefit from the training.

Theyā€™ve had their third feed with bloom nutes since transplant today, and I think theyā€™ve got a taste for it.

Tx

10 Likes

Youā€™ve got the idea. Shorter stuff in the middle and let the outsides go nuts. They love being side blasted like that. The perfect grow is like a bowl shape around the light.

As far as airflow, I donā€™t like using intake fans, it creates strange pressure situations that can be weird and confusingā€¦and also mess with negative pressure. Whenever Iā€™m in doubt I just cut another holeā€¦ youā€™d be surprised at how many intakes can be needed to feed a fan!

6 Likes

Yeh thats what I thought about inlet fans and pressure issues in smaller areas. Iā€™d cut another hole, only Iā€™m pretty restricted by the plants and their pots now. No real space to work without majorly disturbing them. Think weā€™re good for now :slight_smile:

In terms of keeping them down in the middle, now Iā€™m in flower is it too late to do any pruning? Just in case, Iā€™m not opposed to a bit more topping in the coming weeks, as long as thatā€™s not a bad ideaā€¦ I know theyā€™re different beasts in flower than in veg

Tx

2 Likes