Ultrasonic Cleaner

Good day all:

So I got Mrs Foreigner an ultrasonic cleaner for Christmas and I thought I would share the experience with you.

So, it works really well on lightly soiled parts. I didn’t take a before pic but you can imagine it as light brown and sticky. This glass part has seen very little use.

It was put in a plastic bag with a little alcohol and then sealed and submerged in the water bath.

It came out clean as a whistle:

Now, her day to day bong is disgusting. More disgusting than you can imagine. Like, caked on black shit 3 mm thick around the whole part.

Here it is:

This was given the same alcohol bag treatment and came out like this:

Still quite disgusting. You can see how the lower part is very clean but the upper part is gross.

Very impressed with the first one. The second one needs improvement.

I suspect the caked on funk will have to be removed manually.

If you clean your bong say, once a week, it will do a great job. If you let it sit for 2 months of several times a day use you will still have to clean it yourself.

Anyway, I think it’s a win. We will try it again once it’s been scrubbed with alcohol and salt and see what happens a week later.

Anyone else have an ultrasonic cleaner?

Edit: I maybe spoke too soon. We just did the bowl which was as disgusting as the slide. It took a few cycles but came out clean as can be. Not sure why it worked on the bowl and not the other one. But it worked.

16 Likes

Looks just like mine!
My wife runs her jewelry through it.
I run my beans through it… 1% H2O2, 9 minutes.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Pretty cool! They make larger ones for car parts you could clean the whole piece with. :grin:

4 Likes

:sweat_smile:
What a conundrum…

My first thought was make her roll joints (how chivalrous!) but then you’d be paying for dental cleanings every 2 months or smooching Mrs Resin-teeth (or not) :thinking: so hmm…

Maybe a big clear bubble for her to live in? :man_shrugging: Just hotbox 24-7?

Yeah. I feel your pain.

Every visit to my sister’s place was always the same routine…Clean their pieces so I can smoke something besides resinated ash. One desperate moment had me putting a glass pipe in the microwave to loosen the shit inside… Maaaan that kitchen smelled bad & I had to clean the microwave too. :confounded: :man_facepalming:

:evergreen_tree:

8 Likes

Oh yeah! (Stoner moment) @GreenCaciqueHawaii has one of these from the Marley collection… Great design for cleaning after each use. :+1: I’d prefer a longer tube (:unamused: watch it, yous!) to keep my vacuum lungs from inhaling flames… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The bottom pulls off & I assume the stem/tube does too.

:evergreen_tree:

5 Likes

We have a small one and I use it for similar and other cleaning duties, also have a large one that was for bicycle and car parts.

There handy indeed

5 Likes

That’s neat. Looks like something useful.

2 Likes

I don’t see a bag around the bowl? Did you use one or just straight in there?

I wonder if using purple power would change anything.

Also glad to read Mrs F’s bong habit’s have not changed in 20 years :rofl:

1 Like

There handy used to own a tattoo shop use one of them for cleaning stuff,you can throw jewelry the lot in it I make a top for mine so I could put a solo cup in,I had an older machine so metal couldn’t
Touch the inside of the machine

2 Likes

100% love that this is part of your history. Totally matches the “So I Married an Axe Murderer” hijinx that i assume happen in the back of the butchers.

2 Likes

Yes is an awesome piece, more if you testing something new is awesome because can get a fresh bowl with no old BS

4 Likes

Af ter a nice clean she looks like never been used

7 Likes

I was a tattooist before I was a butcher lol owned 2 shops in Belfast ,I do have a lot of tattoos

2 Likes

There was some experimenting going on but yes, the actual cleaning was done in a bag of alcohol.

2 Likes

I’ve been using one for a few years. They’re also good for cleaning trim scissors! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Do be careful using alcohol in an ultrasonic cleaner. In the 3D printing world, people use 99% ISO to rinse off resin, and some used ultrasonic cleaners and had fires. When the alcohol was bagged they were ok. So… I’d think it has something to do with the ISO / exposure to air / fumes from the ISO.

I have a trick for cleaning glass pieces involving a shot glass and your sink. First, the bowl has to be longer than the shot glass is deep. Put bowl in shot glass so bowl side down and draw side is pointing up. Turn your hot water on in the sink, and make it scalding hot and place the glass piece so the water is going IN the draw hole. Moderate flow. You’ll see black junk float away. I then walk away for a few minutes, come back, remove from shot glass and then support it in a way that the hot water now flows into the bowl. TONS of black shit will fly out the other end.

Gets my bowls 90% clean, just a little black shit left where the water doesnt hit forcefully…

If you soak in alcohol prior for 24 hours, chances are this will 100% clean the bowl too…

5 Likes

I really am interested. I’m going to try myself. Thank you very much.

3 Likes

ISO and table salt is incredible at cleaning. I finish off my glass with hot water after it’s been cleaned in ISO. Obviously, the higher the concentration, the better, but back in 2020 during the great isopropyl shortage when all I could find was 70%, that still did the trick. I use a ziploc large enough to fit male and female pieces (I use a bong, but this will work on any glass). If you’re cleaning weekly, no need to let it sit. If it’s any longer, I let it sit, at least partially submerged, for 30 mins (longer for those whose glass looks like an oil filter). Shake it back and forth gradually, and in different directions. The salt acts as an abrasive to help scrub. I then blast it under hot water and 90% of the time, all the resin comes flowing out. The other 10, I have to take a nail and hit a few spots before back under the hot water again. Been cleaning glass this way for decades and it works just as well as any overpriced glass cleaner from the head shop.

Sometimes, I see people using half a bottle of ISO and tons of salt. This is unnecessary! You can manipulate the ziploc which is holding the glass to submerge your piece without needing tons of liquid, or salt. If cleaning a bong, pour a bit of both in, plug the hole for the female with a finger, and swish the alcohol and salt in the base. For the tube, throw your hand over the top and rotate from 12 to 6 and back again. Repeat several times. Works like a charm. Works even better if you change your water daily :v:t2:

4 Likes

You can use your ultrasonic cleaner to rapidly age white liquor too😄 get the equivalent of years of aging in a couple days, just add charred oak or other wood and white liquor and let er rip

3 Likes

Don’t tell anyone because I have a reputation to maintain but I also cleaned some jewelry in it.

6 Likes