Understanding breeding, how to achieve the best an strongest high, false beliefs an inbreeding depresion

transgressive-segregation-1-638

As you can see, extremes can go both ways for any specific trait. Giant bubblegum ring a bell :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

I wonder if the exteme plasticity of cannabis would lead to a greater preponderance of this phenomena?

2 Likes

The phenomenon is most common in the f2 generation and the rate at which it appears decreases for each subsequent inbreeding.

This also plays an important role in the adaptability of a line. Transgressive segregation basically means extreme phenos.

11 Likes

That 5th grader that looks like he should be on the highscool football team? Lol Yeah it’s a real thing

6 Likes

With each successive generations do the F2,3,4,5 finally level out? Will filial degeneration take place? I think so and finally stabilizes; are the resulting progeny better than the original P1’s?

2 Likes

Some material here.

Dry & Curing Science - Overgrow.com

2 Likes

Alright, so in essence, this process underscore’s the importance of selection, correct? Especially at the F2 junction when these extremes are most apparent? And finding these transgressive extremes is the key to creating exceptional weed vs. good weed. Since females are pretty easy to judge whether we like them or not, finding that fire male becomes the key to consistently putting out top notch crosses.

Otherwise, we wind up w lots of pretty good, pretty similar weed :thinking:

It’s not exactly a new concept to me, but this is helping me to understand the why’s of it better, thnx:)

11 Likes

We are the University OG let’s put it on the curriculum :laughing:

3 Likes

Do certain types of cannabis exhibit more of this trait than others (Bubblegum)? Do we look for the males in this f2 and then use them on other f2 females or do we self these exceptional males or….? I realize that this might be more of a rhetorical but just has my interest peaked for very interesting. Like the direction this is going :fire:

2 Likes

like breeds like, if you do find a transgressive pheno, you need two to really do anything with it. It took BOG something like 3 years to find the pair of Sour Bubble pheno’s he needed to make Sour Bubble from BogBubble.

12 Likes

There’s a whole slew of “extreme” phenos…not just mongiloid plants. Think genetics more than morphology. The pic i shared is a triploid, it has extra chromosomes. That means anything i breed that with can give me unique cannabinoid profiles, unique flavors, terpenes, etc. It’s best for guys/gals new to these intricacies of genetics get good at identifying a good plant/flower from bad first. I read all that stuff, can answer a myriad of difficult questions, but in the end, i don’t really use or apply the knowledge to the degree you would think i should. It really is as simple as “hey this good plant (thumps club on ground) me want more, me breed with this plant!(thumps chest)”
I call up that deep thinking stuff at certain times but generally it’s just posturing on forums.

10 Likes

The pic you shared is a plant with whorled phyllotaxy. It has nothing to do with polyploidy; you can’t see ploidy, it requires a flow cytometry test. Also, triploids and other polyploids are generally infertile unless they’re bred with another plant that has the same ploidy.

17 Likes

We wont know it’s whorled until it displays spiral nodal seperation after maturity. Also you cant say it isnt a triploid…ahh the good ole days of fighting on forums. Hey you ever wonder why all the top notch breeders dont hang out on forums helping you guys? Yeah this might have something to do with it.

4 Likes

A fun one I’ve found is crossing a line back to its grandparent or further, like hitting Super Lemon Haze with C5Haze. You’ll likely see some extreme sativa pheno’s pop out of that.

And honestly, this. I see a lot of plants and… they’re just plants to me… but every now and then I pop a seed and one comes up and it just screams to be kept, worked with. You just know something about that plant, is it… I can’t really explain it better than that.

21 Likes

My bad. I didn’t realize this was a conversation about boron. Carry on being the best breeder ever. :wink:

4 Likes

Nope, this your microphone now champ…you go ahead and enlighten the masses…ill sit here and watch…or maybe go somewhere else…

1 Like

Are there 2 puppets in the same thread?

Kudos trolls.

8 Likes

I second @Cormoran, there is no doubt that that is Whorled Phyllotaxy, or more specifically, trifoliate growth. The normal two sided, alternate spacing we see is Alternate Phyllotaxy, and neither have anything to do with chromosomes/polyploidy. Have to do flow cytometry to find out.

Triploid plants are also sterile if bred with diploid’s, you need another triploid in order to get any seeds.

8 Likes

Can selfing the plant do the same thing as trying to find another? Observation says that whorled symmetry is one of possibly many options to look for (transgressive segregation). I like this example terra sphere has given. Good start; “I am ignorant of what I don’t know”

3 Likes

So when i go home and take photos of my triploid male and the seeds i made with a diploid…what will you say then?

1 Like