Understanding breeding, how to achieve the best an strongest high, false beliefs an inbreeding depresion

Sure. But if early males result in more seeds or fiber they should have caught that as it is an important thing for them. On the CBD, it is also a legal crop so breeding information should also be around and whether the first males are a detriment to flower production or not. It might be but I have not came across it yet.

2 Likes

They don’t result in “more seeds” per se, they result in more of the seeds being from them specifically. There is just less flowers for later flowering males to pollinate, as the early flowering ones would have already pollinated the majority of the flowers.

12 Likes

OK it is time!

I have to throw this thing around every week, so here goes.

transgressive segregation

There, I said it :grin:

7 Likes

I just used seeds and fiber as examples of traits that growers would be interested in. If early male resulted in more of these traits then they probably would have been studied. The use of early males to pollinate would be thought to be an advantage if it reduced thc or cbd production but increased seed of fiber production. I have read that offspring from early males resulted in having more fiber and less of the good stuff. To a breeder that should be useful information. I just have not come across a study on it yet.

2 Likes

Speaking of reading - have you read the article you linked? I’d be curious to hear your understanding of it.

6 Likes

The Mendelain Paradox…

I studied Mendel in high school and Fisher and the paradox later in university…
I think a better title would be “Much Ado About Nothing” but Shakespeare already got that one… :smile: :pinching_hand:

IMO, Fisher failed to make his case…

Cheers
G

10 Likes

Thnx, that’s a new one for me. Is this the same concept as hybrid vigor or different in some way?

3 Likes

Filial Degeneration? 180

1 Like

Transgressive segregation is the tendency of progeny upon recombination to surpass the extremes of either parental line. This is beyond heterosis (hybrid vigor) which merely masks weaknesses in parental lines. Transgressive segregation is the beginning of all genetic improvement.

11 Likes

Cross over or the twisting of the DNA strand has some unexpected results?

1 Like

transgressive-segregation-1-638

As you can see, extremes can go both ways for any specific trait. Giant bubblegum ring a bell :slightly_smiling_face:

13 Likes

I wonder if the exteme plasticity of cannabis would lead to a greater preponderance of this phenomena?

2 Likes

The phenomenon is most common in the f2 generation and the rate at which it appears decreases for each subsequent inbreeding.

This also plays an important role in the adaptability of a line. Transgressive segregation basically means extreme phenos.

11 Likes

That 5th grader that looks like he should be on the highscool football team? Lol Yeah it’s a real thing

6 Likes

With each successive generations do the F2,3,4,5 finally level out? Will filial degeneration take place? I think so and finally stabilizes; are the resulting progeny better than the original P1’s?

2 Likes

Some material here.

Dry & Curing Science - Overgrow.com

2 Likes

Alright, so in essence, this process underscore’s the importance of selection, correct? Especially at the F2 junction when these extremes are most apparent? And finding these transgressive extremes is the key to creating exceptional weed vs. good weed. Since females are pretty easy to judge whether we like them or not, finding that fire male becomes the key to consistently putting out top notch crosses.

Otherwise, we wind up w lots of pretty good, pretty similar weed :thinking:

It’s not exactly a new concept to me, but this is helping me to understand the why’s of it better, thnx:)

11 Likes

We are the University OG let’s put it on the curriculum :laughing:

3 Likes

Do certain types of cannabis exhibit more of this trait than others (Bubblegum)? Do we look for the males in this f2 and then use them on other f2 females or do we self these exceptional males or….? I realize that this might be more of a rhetorical but just has my interest peaked for very interesting. Like the direction this is going :fire:

2 Likes

like breeds like, if you do find a transgressive pheno, you need two to really do anything with it. It took BOG something like 3 years to find the pair of Sour Bubble pheno’s he needed to make Sour Bubble from BogBubble.

12 Likes