Seeds of today???

Seems on almost every post I read about someone trying some New Gucci strain and getting a hermie. Back in the day it was usually stress that cause it or bad genetics.

But back then it seems like there was more quality control. Greenhouses of a strain we’re grown to proof it.

Is this just a roll the dice game with genetics now? Breeder breeds two plants puts a cool name and some sweet pictures. Someone does a grow report and everyone buys it.

Kind of disheartening… like to get back to the basics. We all work too hard to get plants to flower to have to rip it out.

24 Likes

Either that or you see something that might be a cool cross and theres absolutely nothing written on it when you click the description. But they want $150-$200. I understand the value of having good seeds but there actual breeders you can follow a grow log for and support. Who also will actually respond to your messages. Just feels a bit greedy.

14 Likes

Can’t recall who said it on here but they made a good point. It’s not really about breeding anymore but pheno hunting. So much hybridization going on, people breeding with strains known to hermie (GSC, GG4 etc) and a “industry” that lives on the hype of the next best thing is pushing ti into that direction. Why would I spend 2, 3 years testing, checking a strain only to release it to a public that will try it once and move onto the next thing or smash it with another strain and claim it as their great new strain? It’s not really financially viable anymore.

18 Likes

It’s all about the $$$ money any more
Just turn something out the people will by Now
Look at the seed banks 1000 ‘s of 1000 ‘s of seeds our there
And very limited info only a few so called breeders ever respond to e mails I can count them on one hand
And then they hermie ?:face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:
Plus like @PGT710 said 150 to 200 and more
That’s why I stick to only a few breeders if they don’t respond on e mail F@&$ them
Small seed breeders with passion for the plant is what I go for
Funny I got a pac of a Mac cross and if it didn’t come recommend I wouldn’t have Bought it based on peps having hermi issues but I trust the breeder who sent them to me
It’s all about trust and passion

11 Likes

Well it’s not just breeders, this is the current businesses models where the consumers, get to be the companies R&D. and 40 years ago, society would have rolled over and died before they allowed it pass with out a major uproar. Now it’s just so common ppl don’t even talk about it now.

11 Likes

Seriously, 10-15 years ago, I hardly read any posts (on old OG) of people making their own seeds, it was tough enough to as it was to grow your own meds low key, so people didn’t really want to have yet another setup and let a male live long enough to to make seeds with. Now, everyone (including myself) wants to make their own seeds and crosses. I was gifted a collection of 10 different strains, and I already have ideas of what I want to see crossed with what. even though I haven’t even started the bloom on my first practice run yet, since I just restarted after 12-15 years of not gardening.

11 Likes

People bitched for decades about the dutch fucking things up and watering down genetics…it took all of 30 seconds in a legal Colorado market to do the same damage

No offense to anyone from Colorado but you know you replaced Canada as world’s leading supplier of mids

Well maybe washington state is neck to neck with colorado

15 Likes

Nevada is right up there as well! They have ( or had) a rule in the beginning, that everything had to come from Nevada…inculding seeds. That, of course< begged the question (the chicken and the egg) The answer was that the starting seeds were gifted by Nevada residents…absolute horse manure (under the old laws, even having seeds was a crime). The dispensarys here manage to keep up SOMEHOW…LOL
With all the new and hyped strains of today and I would guess that those seeds are from somewhere else. :roll_eyes:

Last time that I tried dispensary bud, it was, let’s be polite. NOT THE GREATEST! I bet it happens in all legal jurisdictions.

10 Likes

It’s crazy. I have a friend who grows really dank, top shelf weed. He’s always trying new in demand stuff (cookies, cakes gelatos etc etc). We were looking at his plants and I asked if he ever gets hermies with the new genetics and he said pretty much every new strain he tries will herm out, it’s just a fact of life with these genetics.

I think it all started with clone onlys that were in demand but had herm tendencies as someone else said. A few generations later those genes are in the mix on tons of strains.

Give legalization a few more years to settle in and I think we’ll see alot more classic strains in demand, as well as more interesting stuff with lower THC percentages but cool and unique traits.

13 Likes

The day that cultivators like Burpee/Bonnie starts cultivating and selling plants, youll know that’s when shit get real lol. Once it’s federally legal, professional standards in agriculture will have to kick in, and everything will be sold as cuts of a trademarked strain name and packets of seeds will have to grow out uniform and consistent. It’s the industrial machine, but it’ll help keep things (and prices) in check.

8 Likes

Until the price drops to $20 a pound

7 Likes

Well mids prices in the same range as tobacco… or maybe high end spices/herbs lol. Saffron in just as expensive (if not more depending on your location) per gram lol.

7 Likes

It’s a shame communities can’t have marijuana farmers markets where people could openly trade/sell there wares God the barter would be amazing lol

15 Likes

It’s definitely not lost on us. When it was just the med market, I remember getting some really good shit from a couple dispensaries. With the rec market, sales really went up and quality down. Now everybody is using the same cuts no matter where you are.

In my opinion they chased yield and THC numbers, and fucked up immeasurable things like the experience. But dispensaries are trying to be price competitive, and there are only so many options above certain yield and THC numbers (that will also finish in under 9 weeks).

14 Likes

Everything is just getting bottle necked with hype strains and poly hybrids, it’s far easier to cross 1 meh male with 10 hype herm cuts and sell those for 100-300$ a pack than actually work a line & test it and select for certain traits… Come buy some candy rain bro cookiefamgang :rofl:

luckily a few breeders still put in the work
Freeborn Selections definitely interest me because they put out maybe a few strains a year instead of 100 and actually work their stuff out not just f1 hybrids of cookies and gelato lol. People like bodhi are also awesome with landrace crosses I can’t wait to grow some of his stuff.

it’s all bag appeal BS everything is so similar I would rather have a really awesome high and great smoke than just get blasted into a coma from a meh tasting and smelling 30%er

12 Likes

I think dispensaries should only be medical period

Sell them 3 dollar pre rolls in the liquor stores for rec

7 Likes

Not everybody is greedy. bodhi seeds does this 2-3+ year process you speak of. They do a lot of testing of their males, F-genning them until they find a few that have outdoor and indoor stability and pest resistance. Then they test those against a big list of known cuts internally to see what each potential breeding male passes and how he mixes with a variety of moms.

bodhi seeds does extensive vetting of all mom cuts (going so far as to get a sample of the Chem 91 JB to chemdog himself to try, which he erroneously verified was the Chem 91 SKVA cut) many of which they hunt themselves, and share them with Radio Ridge Nursery to get them out to the public if they’re really special.

Then, if the male passes muster internally, they publicly test other crosses using him. Generally speaking, only when those tests come back positive and stable do they release the seeds for sale. This step obviously relies upon testers being honest and open about everything.

And then, after all that hunting, selecting and testing over a number of years, bodhi sells them for $30/pk during BOGO sales at Great Lakes Genetics. You buy one pack at $60 and get another freebie pack, usually of something incredible. Lots of people buy bodhi just for the freebies!

All of this can be verified via bodhi posts on BreedBay, IG, ICMag, bi-annual tester lists, and elsewhere over the years.

On a separate but related topic, I think inbred lines are BS and always have been BS marketing mumbo jumbo in the Western cannabis community. Just more marketing hype.

18 Likes

Dudes buy $60 eighths of “designer” weed in mylar bags and stuff it in a backwoods. It’s all very silly.
There are people who would not buy better cheaper weed in a ziploc because it isn’t branded…yeah…I hate to sound like an old man but…kids these days…

There’s more inbred lines available now than ever. This is just a different market for people that frankly don’t understand weed, and use it as a bizarre status symbol. They don’t even know what they actually like, they just want conspicuous consumption and the false sense of “exclusivity”. Classic more money than sense scenario.

Besides, all the old shit is still around in one way or another.

But yeah, in a way, selecting for bag appeal generation after generation only will produce some wack ass plants in short order.

19 Likes

People have become a lot more forgiving about having to just “pluck the nanners!”
That used to be enough reason to chop a plant immediately but some say after plucking the plants can be fine and still put out above average flowers.
To me that’s a big negative that I can’t just accept there’s to many options out there imo

Considering that there’s only so many original building blocks it was bound to happen eventually but I think we are all guilty of contributing to the problem because the plants someone else is showing off always looks sexier then the possibilities in our Own stash vaults.

12 Likes

Lol maybe I missed this one. Is there a specific flower market for IBLs now? If so, damn, the level of mindfuck that marketing can pull off is truly amazing sometimes.

10 Likes