Using Coco as a Substrate

too funny. Type A’s opinion much giggle giggle

i have used coco before it was used much running the Canna line quite successfully as coco became more popular it became less of a hassle to use the rinse on them became much better removing the 55 gallon trash barrel garden hose polka some today you can even plant from straight from the bag Plagron fine blend comes to mind so easy. I love it, coco blends with anything soil cubes promix earthworm castings coco kicks ass if you organic tea, hands down one of the best things ever as long as the ph is minded and the leaf reading skills are on point mine are not…

I loved House and garden I also ran bat stinky one and bat stinky two with awesome end product. I almost got a divorce as well… GH3-part hell even fox farm soil line does a bang up job.

I love coco but I am a slob and slowly getting my mess of ten years swept up by using Groden stuff now but i can also throw it in the worm beds with impunity in denver, with out fear. I use a combination of 3 inch starters cut into in unislabs and/or stacked on unislabs then allowed to run wild in cocomat or run in hugos for the last year and am loving it as well. it seems to work with all with good results.

This is what does my heavy lifting for the last year epsom salt not shown.

I might entertain a coco-cube type product a 6x6x6 can support a large tree no doubt…

I also want to dive into raw salts as i hate paying for fancy colored water. But my leaf reading skills still suck. I kinda dis agree with the statement “Best” as there are no Best ways as long as your pipe is full i believe you are on track to improve. I have used Peters 20-20-20 with wild success. The plants must be tended. fert is but one brick in the dam.

5 Likes

love the response.spot on…

Gonna be prepping the coco, using Canna Coco Pro, supposed to be rinsed and buffered so, well. Will check for EC and pH before using it.

1. Do i need to pre-charge the coco with Ca/Mg?
  2. How many ppm on a TD500 scale?
  3. Do i add other nutes or just the Ca/Mg in the beginning?

Thanks for the help gang.

2 Likes

Got a link to that product? I am unfamiliar with it myself but would be happy to take a look at it. Most, not all pre mixed bags like that are ready to go.

2 Likes

What about rockwool sorry had to throw my bit in there

No hijacking bro!!!

This is a coco thread.

1 Like

Canna coco is clean, and i mean that, use to run various bricks for the price and size convenience. But Canna can take my money as its super low ppm, no rinsing needed, and had zero issues with calmag mind you but i run nutrients with it.

Seriously enjoy not having all the hassle to get brick or lesser quality coco to be ready.

3 Likes

While i’ve read many mixed reviews about the coco I first used, Burpee CoCo bricks never needed rinsed and had very low ppms. Convenient storage size and makes plenty of coco. Easily available at home depot/Lowes for less than 10 bucks a brick (I think I paid something like 4$ a brick when I bought mine, winter clearance lol)

It hurts even reading the name, in training that’s what the Sensei always makes us do for punishment…

https://m.popkey.co/64e93c/zEaRZ.gif

Is this your Sensi? Could be worse!

2 Likes

There are girls like that at the gym, yes. But not the Sensei is a very old man with white hair and short in height. Anybody can make a mistake with the guy u know. A cab driver once started to make a scene at the academy and was insulting his girlfriend in front of everyone, the Sensei stepped in, and well, let’s just say the guy was never seen again around the academy, Sensei hit him with two moves and the guy needed help to breathe… It was sad and hilarious at the same time.

We had a plant in coco at the academy… (Staying on topic… LOL)

2 Likes
  • List item

Just picked up a brick of burpee coco at HD for $2.98 how could I not!

1 Like

Sorry @MadScientist, I had to. I wanted to see the gym girl jumping around again.

1 Like

If you have the ability, check the ppms and see how clean yours is. I have a couple of bricks I can rehydrate and check but right now I have two 5 gallon buckets full of Royal Gold Tupur :smiley:

And when I say a couple… I probably have 8-10 lol.

1 Like

Just checked, ph of ~6 and ppm of 695. Guess that means it needs a good washing? My tap water today is ph-7.2, ppm-037.

1 Like

always soak, wash and rinse new coco. its a good idea to also precharge new coco by soaking it in the nute solution you will be using on the plant it will be going to . new coco always gives me some ph imbalance for the first three or four weeks… is this chipped/chunked coco, or the fine stuff?

1 Like

It’s fine ground, @2RedEyes I’d run a gallon or two of distilled or ro water through it, check ppms and if they are under 300 I’d charge it with a mild nute solution with heavy emphasis on cal-mag.

i vote canna but havnt used it i use advanced hydroponics

start with small pots…