Using Coco as a Substrate

I’m gonna try this on a micro grow but I have plenty of time, not starting for a few more weeks. I’ll give it a good soak and rinse, them charge it with whatever nutes. Probably gonna try megacrop as I just ordered a free bag…

2 Likes

You need an “Other” choice on your ballot.

I switched to coco a little over a year ago. My coco and nutes are all Botanicare: CocoGro coco, HydroGuard root inoculate Cal-Mag plus, CNS17 Grow, CNS17 Bloom, and CNS17 Ripe. The only other anything my plants get is R.O. water. I tried the HydroGuard first to help strength my roots against a gnat (or so I thought, was actually thrips) infestation. My plants perked up quite a bit in just a few days. The thrips were still eating, nut the beneficial bacteria in the HydroGuard prevented rot. I was so impressed with this that when i decided to go to coco I tried their CocoGro, then the CNS17 Grow formula. After that, I settled on all Botanicare products.

2 Likes

I’ve got a question about re-using coco.

I’m using smart pots, which as many of you know, promote extremely dense root masses.
How should I go about re-using my coco?
When I culled my males during this run, the roots were holding onto the coco so hard it was difficult to separate the coco from the roots. If it were soil, I’d just throw the whole thing in the compost bin… (if I had one that is)

Any tips?

I’d probably just shake loose what will and then toss the rest in the compost. Coco doesn’t seem terribly expensive. Then again, I’m just trying it for the first time myself.

1 Like

I just shred it all up roots and all. Make sure to rinse it well and recharge it back with the nute ratio before repottimg with it.

2 Likes

I found some people here in CR that sell chipped coco, i might be growing the @LED_Seedz in chipped coco, like some guys do around here… Or a mix of coco from the Canna bags and some chipped coco too…

If i leave the chipped coco overnight in water that should give me a good runoff water to test pH and EC right?

1 Like

No, and not a good idea to soak coco overnight. It causes the coco to leech out tanin’s which will also cause the EC to rise giving you a false reading. Soak it for 30 minutes max, drain it and let it sit a day before using. You’ll have much better success that way.

Also, always use new food and not used.

6 Likes

Ok, will follow this verbatim. Thanks.

EDIT, is this anything like what you guys use…?

2 Likes

far right is the consistency of the stuff i typically use, but would use the chunky stuff as well if i had access to it.

2 Likes

The one in the middle yes.

3 Likes

Hey guys, what should i use to get rid of the algae that forms on the top of the coco? Anyone?

Dirt works well. Ha! Ha! Sorry, joking, i couldn’t help myself. :grin:

4 Likes

I thought about it tho! HAHAHAHA

2 Likes

Happens when they stay too wet for long spans of time you have to let the tops dry out.

Other option is to use a sterilizing nutrient water such as bleach or Calcium hypochlorite at a higher 20-50ppm or so, maintenance level is around 1-2ppm which is pretty much a drop per 2 liters/half gal, H202 works as well. Mind you thats if your wanting a sterilize media.

2 Likes

Can i spray H2O2 to the soil on top. That will destroy the algae right!?

Yep it should slow or stop the algae, but having the pots run drier between watering will help as well.

2 Likes

i dont know about this fine coco, but the chipped coco i use, i keep the top inch or so dry, i flood my plants and i control the flood height so the top layer of coco stays dry. prevents that algae stuff, and it helps keep the gnats at bay

1 Like

taking pictures of a big fat bud and pull it up on the computer and there he was… fuggin bastage was striking a pose in my bud shot… makes you wanna look for the can of hot shot for sure…

3 Likes

What, we don’t get to see the little sun bathing beauty?

Truly one of mother nature’s marvel. Meant to feed the masses of insects. Low rung on the old food chain.

Makes me hate them even more.

1 Like

Alright coco guys, i hydrated one of the coco husks bricks i had, and all the chips float while all the fine pith and fibers sink on the container to the bottom. Do i mix them again or should i leave the husks alone, and am better off without all the pith and fibers…?

2 Likes