Using GBA3 to produce males

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone has experience using GBA3 to produce male pollen from female clones. I am hoping to preserve some strains.

I have my two clones ready to go with the smaller one selected as the “male”.

Just not sure how I go about this? Are there any guides or topics on this (wasn’t able to locate one here)

Questions:

• strength of solution grams / liters
  • timing of spraying - when do I start hitting the plant, how often, duration ?
  • timing of flipping the female and timing of flipping the “male”

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks
BAMMER

2 Likes

I think you will find that using CS or STS will produce the results you want. @Sebring has STS kits available for purchase. I don’t believe anyone has tried to use GA3 to make male pollen from female plants. I have not attempted making feminized seeds, but from my reading, STS seems to have better results in a shorter time frame than CS.

I bought some GA3, 1g sitting in a bag, haven’t used it yet.

“For best results, use a solution of 0.01% (0.1 gram GA3 in a liter of distilled water).”

It does also say STS is more reliable and effective than any other method though, GA3 can do weird shit to plants.

GA3 will turn a normal plant into a tentacle monster.
Use STS. https://diygreenlife.com/product/sts-dry-chems/ freshly restocked.

Make STS

Use STS

5 Likes

FWIW from R.C.Clarke: Marijuana Botany, copied from another forum:

Galoch (1978) indicated that gibberellic acid (GA3) promoted stamen production while indoleacetic acid (IAA), ethrel, and kinetin promoted pistil production in prefloral dioecious Cannabis. Sex alteration has several useful applications. Most importantly, if only one parent expressing a desirable trait can be found, it is difficult to perform a cross unless it happens to be a hermaphrodite plant. Hormones might be used to change the sex of a cutting from the desirable plant, and this cutting used to mate with it. This is most easily accomplished by changing a pistillate cutting to a staminate (pollen) parent, using a spray of 100 ppm gibberellic acid in water each day for five consecutive days. Within two weeks staminate flowers may appear. Pollen can then be collected for selfing with the original pistillate parent. Offspring from the cross should also be mostly pistillate since the breeder is selfing for pistillate sexuality. Staminate parents reversed to pistillate floral production make inferior seed-parents since few pistillate flowers and seeds are formed.

Go CS or STS, as stated above GA3 will just turn you plant into a “tentacle monster” as @Sebring said ive personally tried GA3 once for poll and thats all it took to say no to it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will look into making some CS or STS.

You have me curious about GBA3 and the mutant monsters it creates though. Might try it just to see what weird things happen and toss it after.

Gotta say this is the best community out there. The other forums are just so toxic.

Keep it real,
BAMMER

2 Likes

excessive stretching

These seedlings are all the same, the one in the center was sprayed twice with ga3 and that was just the start it kept going.

4 Likes

Wow! I think I’d run out of head room, that’s crazy.