UV C 30-60watt and mold

Hi fellow growers,have you ever had experience with UVC lamps to kill mold and spores?I found someone on YouTube passing It quickly on the entire plant and media.Could It help with botrytis?

2 Likes

If you’ve already got bud rot it’s not gonna help, it also puts off a lot of ozone. I do use a uvc/hepa air purifier in my room now though and will hopefully not have to throw out a pound of weed with my next harvest. I’ve heard some people fog their grow rooms with hypochlorous acid to kill mold on plants, I’m just skeptical about its safety

5 Likes

Damn went down $45 since I bought it :sob:
Limited-time deal: Coway Airmega AP-1512HH(W) True HEPA Purifier with Air Quality Monitoring, Auto, Timer, Filter Indicator, and Eco Mode, 16.8 x 18.3 x 9.7, White https://a.co/d/cPIYeJa

1 Like

So an air purifier Will do more than a uvc lamp?
i already harvested and Lost a lot from my 3 plants,due to Bud rot.
My house Is plenty of spores
@EugeneDebs420

1 Like

A purifier will suck the spores out of the air and prevent them from colonizing on your plants, not so sure about active mold already on the plants. I’d look into hcl for that. I know it sucks to throw out bud, but it happens you just gotta correct the cause for next time. Sanitize your grow area, if you’ve got mold in the house, paint over it with some mold/mildew killing paint or at the very least scrub with bleach

4 Likes

I can’t make use of the Paint It strategy,but I am sanitizing my room where the box Is in,I also have Always Hay and dry herbs at home because I feed my rabbits with Hay.Considering this,what would be the most effective strategy?
I love in a flat,so,the rooms are close to eachother and spores go spreading quickly
@EugeneDebs420

1 Like

If you’re worried about the whole house, pretty much the only answer is going to be some sort of fungicidal fogger or spraying down every surface in the building with bleach solution, along with HEPA/MERV filtering of the air in your lung room and maybe in the grow as well, but the humidity of a grow area can be counterproductive to air filtration so you’d be better off with filtering and conditioning the lung room air.

I spray from seedling through harvest (less often, more carefully, and with a weaker solution in late flower) with PureCrop1, which is basically a high tech horticultural soap. It kills mold spores in addition to sap-sucking pests and tests clean through harvest. I highly recommend it, my $30 bottle is going to last me years in a homegrow setting and it’s the backbone of my IPM plan.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even try to treat it. I’d cut it out ruthlessly.

I train my plants to have many colas not just big ones that way if you do develop problems you can just cut off the affected area and keep going.

6 Likes

Also adding silica and chitosan to your grow regimen can help the plants naturally fight off PM and other mold/fungus. Those will both increase the cell wall thickness and toughness that helps the plant both fight mold and also the jaws of bugs. The chitosan (from insect frass or shellfish meals or anywhere else) increases the SAR (systemic aquired resistance) of the plant. The silica will both strengthen the plant internally and there’s tons of research in viticulture and field crops about how soluble potassium silicate foliars knock PM right out. Get some AgSil16H, it’s cheap as hell and lasts forever (in a tightly sealed glass jar, it’s hygroscopic), and some frass or crab/lobster/shrimp meals or composts and you’ll be money as long as your environmental controls are reasonable.

4 Likes

Would someone point a link that I can get on Amazon Europe or some Europe products?I am very glad to read your answers but I actually am not able to buy from Amazon.com or usa wherehouses.Also,I Just started and got two Inkbird thermostat,humidity and temperature,so I can keep It under 70%rh and over 19C°

The most effective strategy would be Simply buying a BIG dehumidifier for my room,but
I m short on money this year,I’d want to invest in a good filtering machine but can’t even afford another filter for intake.Indeed I wanted to make seeds this run,so I don’t Always go buying seeds

I Need a “cheaper” solution Just for those months until I hit new year months.

Important:I read Bacillus subtilis can help if I spray It on the leaves.It Is the main ingredient of BIO Fungicides for botrytis.Now,I don’t have a proper fungicide but I have some Beneficials that are inoculants,dry powder.It contains among other michos strains and bacterias,Bacillus subtilis.Can I spray It before flowering in the leaves as a preventive measure?
(Also Definitely getting General Hydroponic silica this run,can I apply It as a foliar ?)
@EugeneDebs420 @Dirt_Wizard
@Foreigner

2 Likes

Some good points made here.
First VPD paramaters are essential for minimizing plant susceptability to deseases.
Second, during the spring/fall the air is FULL of fungal spores so a HEPA/MERV filtration of your incoming air will certainly help. Think of fungal spores as kinda like pollen…only smaller and more prolific.
Hypochlorous acid will do a great job sanitizing your grow area and protecting your plants.

Understand that with poor VPD conditions, or outside grows, you’re fighting a war of attrition. Even with hypochlorous acid, if your looking at extended periods of free moisture (rain or high humidities)
you have a tremendous amount of inoculum (Botrytis spores) in the environment and sooner or later
they’ll most likely escape control measures…

7 Likes

Thank you Brother,you mean that If I keep my VPD dialed in from now on,and keep the box clean,Say,use a carbon filter in the vent going in and One in the exhaust,and,use a IR thermomether to Dial in my RH and temps I Will help to not make botrytis flourish?
(I have an oscillating big fan too.Only miss an Intake filter and powerful fan)
I got 3 grows without any botrytis,when I got into HFF and Coco coir I got my First botrytis appearance,must be something with RH or too much fertigation?
@BudBusterPro

2 Likes

@Andrexl ,

Yes, Your VPD is your best defense. Stressed plants are weakened plants.
Actually, as long as your plants are healthy, your media or nutrient programs are not going to have any significant effect on Botrytis infections.

Again, remember all these bacterial and Fungal diseases, that effect foliage, are spread through the air.
LOL, of course, there are also a plethora of soilborne bacteria and fungal diseases that spread through contaminated soil or water (where media, temperature, moisture levels and oxygen to the roots) are very important.
It’s just that these nasty diseases have been around for soooo long, they have multiple pathways to inflict suffering on us !!

3 Likes

My best weapon Is an IR thermomether then.Actually what happens when the temperature drops at lights off?Rh rises a bit too.I mean,when I take readings of the leaf temperature and I calculate my sheet with the vpd values,should I follow It as It Is even when the temps drop and Rh rises at lights off ?Should I Always refer to the values I obtain by a measurement made at leds on or less off?
@BudBusterPro

1 Like

Well, I’ll share what I know. Your IR thermometer is mandatory for taking leaf temperatures as an integral part of VPD management.
If you can’t maintain VPD in both lights on/off (dehumidifies, heaters etc) your kind of defeating your efforts.
Also, I strongly urge you to follow the Pulse VPD values (They were actually taken with Cannabis).
Truth of the matter is many VPD charts you look at have been extrapolated from green house tomatoes or cucrbits.
I can give you a link you’ll find very helpful…
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1M9jGhBA0lc2S8NEsq3q_6Mkpd3yJwedSZ3kfxuK0ZVI/edit#gid=963929615

4 Likes

Best way to prevent mold is keep humidity at a low level.

3 Likes

Thank you a bunch, Will look into It later when My ir therm arrives home.I have a very crap dehumidifier,as I said,short on money atm,so I Will go for a nice 250w heater inside the tent,should suffice,keeping Rh at bay.
Again thank you
I am already working on it with the current values I have,temp and Rh.
:heart:

1 Like

Yo Whatsup friend,I love love LOVE your way of gardening cannabis and other plants.When I Will have some more room I Will set up and outdoor area Just like yours,I respect a lot your work and believe in that style of gardening a lot.Actually where I live now I can’t

I only cultivate indoors, are you confusing me with someone else? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Or do you mean you’ll apply my indoor method outdoors?

1 Like

I Will TRY to apply your method when I have more room,also,outdoor too.Or when I dial in my VPD values,Botrytis I had last grow destroyed my ass off
I am not confusing you,you are the originale STACKED POTS OF JOY creator
@Rogue

1 Like