Vegetable Seeds

I haven’t seen a thread about this so I figured I would start one .

I grow a lot of my food each year . I do not grow hybrids and only grow things I can save the seed from. I have mainly sourced my seeds from a place called Heritage Harvest Seeds . They have lots of great and rare heirlooms and I have had good success both growing and saving seed from their stock.

Anyway my intention is for this thread to be a place for folks to talk about and trade non weed seeds .

24 Likes

I need to start getting some fruit and vegetable seeds. So I can start saving on grocery costs if nothing else.

7 Likes

I used to have a farm (we mainly “grew” horses, but had a field of asparagus and a very large garden plot) but these days I run plants in containers on the back deck.

I love Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds: https://www.rareseeds.com/

I’ve run a ton of their tomatoes, peppers, herbs, melons, etc. I have a friend who plants a bunch of their seeds, then runs a farmer’s market stand selling the starts.

As a former resident of New Mexico, I am addicted to green chile. I scratch that itch by ordering seeds from the Chile Pepper Institute at New Mexico State University. They work hard to preserve the plant.

9 Likes

hum interesting, I think I know someone who would love this thread so I understood it and addicted to seeds just like many of us.

He has a thread he’s talking about seeds of all kinds of vegetables he doesn’t say anything about exchanging his thread anymore but I believe he’ll like being able to exchange seeds with the whole world, isn’t he @Gugumelo

8 Likes

The initiative is cool … The seeds belong to all of us !!! If they got here it was because someone took care of her in the past … I will follow …
Thanks for remembering me @ Shanti-ri …

hug

7 Likes

Your thread showing your beautiful food growing space is what made me think of making this one. I didn’t see any mention in it of seed trading which is why I made this one.

I sure wish I had the climate you do lol

5 Likes

One thing I have learned growing for my food and seed needs is to plant 3 times the amount you need for eating. 1/3 for food , 1/3 for seed , and 1/3 as possible loses due to pest etc.

6 Likes

Bought 62 packs from baker creek yesterday to add to my already very large collection. Sadly they were sold out of 20 other things I wanted, ordered a lot from heritage harvest seed last year. Great seed company lots seeds in each pack. But I love bakers creeks full 500 page catalog so I dont have to go online. They get a lot of money from me each year. On the farm here we have a 4000 sqft plus garden.12 x 20 green house and 15 - 4 x 8 raised beds.

Edited for typos

7 Likes

most years i plant about 3/4 acre gardens, i have not started to use heirlooms yet , but do want to, well not all heirlooms anyways

4 Likes

We garden as well, I love baker creek heirloom for seeds. I may get a few they don’t have elsewhere but I make sure it’s non gmo

5 Likes

Anyone got some Arracacha seeds to share by any chance?
I could offer some chili pepper varieties in return.

I was a seed saver and collector of tomato seeds a few years back.

Any veg u eat just save the seed. ( tomatoes and peppers ). I have done that.

U can also clone most plants. especially tomatoes. buy one clone the rest.

Go into a salad bar and grab a tomato or pepper save the seeds before U eat.

THIS SITE IS MORE ANNAL THAN ANY SITE IN THE NET

TOMATOVILLE.COM. I HAD OVER 100 DIFFERENT MATER SEEDS
ALL FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE. BIES

O R

Look at Johanny’s

Here is a great veg and flower seed. source.

I have used them in he past and the prices are good too.

:male_detective:
:vulcan_salute:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.