Ventilation and Odor control for DR60 tent (2x2x5)

Hi all,

First time doing a full grow from seed to harvest in a DR60 tent. The tent dimensions are 2x2x5 for a total of 20 cubic feet.

I’m looking for recommendations on a vent and odor control setup for this environment, i figure with a 100cfm fan i can get away with passive intake and deal with the heat and odor in one go with a proper setup. Thing is, I don’t know what that setup is.

Someone mentioned a UFO vent but i’m not sure what that means or how i could work it together with a carbon scrubber.

Any one recommendation and suggestions would be helpful, cheers!

Hello @Smokearoo. A 4in carbon scrubber in a top corner attached to a 4in fan outside the tent should take care of it easily. What do you mean by vent?

https://4hydroponics.com/post/how-to-set-up-a-can-fan-can-filter-combo

You shouldn’t have to make holes, your tent should have them. YouTube has many videos for setting up tents also. Hydrofarm or Sun has a lot of filters and fans to choose from for any budget. Pick what you want and tell your local hydroshop.

3 Likes

Hey @ryasco - thanks for the feedback.

By vent I meant ventilation fan, it wasn’t clear. I’ll just use fan from now on, it’s one less letter to type anyway…

Tent has holes for sure, one at a top corner and i think two or three others on the bottom along with some sort of covered mesh area. That link you gave me was perfect! Way more comprehensive than the ICMag thread which just gave me more to worry about.

Yeah, I’m liking that idea… carbon filter inside the tent at the top corner connected to some tin flex duct to the exhaust fan mounted outside. The price seems decent for the combo kit they offer: https://4hydroponics.com/can-2600-filter-and-fan-s-400

This gives me a good place to start, i’ll check out youtube then see what I can get at the local shops. thanks for the leads, much appreciated.

1 Like

that package deal looks perfect to me, it should wipe out the odor and supply plenty of air to theplants, you don’t need an intake fan on a small grow tent. I use something very similar in my 4X4, a 6-inch centrifigal fan and the Can 33 filter.

1 Like

It does look pretty good @Muleskinner unfortunately I’m in Canada and that combo + price is in the US and in USD.

I’m going to hit up my local shops for a fan and controller and filter.

I’m now looking at a Phresh Lo-Pro either 4x8 or 4x12 - I can hang it horizontal at the top above the light and have the fan mounted outside the tent, unless it’s better to have the fan mounted in the tent as well, closer to the filter? Hmm, still doing some research.

Sometimes Phresh are a little dusty. I like chunks of charcoal.

@99PerCent dang, now of any filters with that kind of profile? 4x8 or 4x12 ?

Can you hold one in your hands before you buy. If so, hold it up and gently move it around and see if dust comes flying out.

If not, you probably will be OK. You just have to check, if you can.

@Muleskinner gave me some old filters which can be taken apart to replace the charcoal. Fish Filter Charcoal works for about 6 months to a year. Shake vigorously and you get 6 more months. I have seen some fairly cheap filters constructed from lady’s nylons and Dryer Vent parts from Home De Pot.

I live in Mass and I do have an extra one of these cans empty ???

thanks for the tip, i’m going to hit up the local grow shop tomorrow and see what they have on hand - I’m starting to get a good idea of what i need in my case

1 Like

Hey all,

To update, i went by my local grow shop and was recommended a Mountain Air 4" filter with Can-Fan S400 - would do 200CAD flat for the pair. Didn’t have the filter in stock but said will have by the weekend.

thanks everyone for the help, i’m reminded how resourceful local shops are and not everything has to be done online :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Smokearoo it’s so true! i was shopping around on amazon/ebay for nutrients and other stuff and the local hydro store ended up having it for a buck or 2 less than i could find online, plus no shipping cost or waiting period! now i always check their website as well.

1 Like