Want to get away from FoxFarm nutes

So I have always used ffof with ff grow big and ff big bloom strictly as my medium and fertilizers. After joining this wonderful site I quickly realized that allot of people bash ff soils and nutes and they seem to be the inferior product according to members. My question is what nutrient lines do you guys like? I would like to try something that supposedly “better” than ff so I can compare some results. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks og!

For soil I like BioBizz, but I’m not sure if it is available in your area. Taste is superb for me.

Everything is subjective… What is it that you don’t like on FoxFarm? If it works for you I wouldn’t just change nutrient brand because anybody bashes the brand on the internet :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s not that it dosnt work, I have had what I consider great results. But I am always trying to make my results greater! :slightly_smiling_face:

I am using fox farm ocean forest organic soil also have a bag of biobizz organic light mix in the shed gonna try that on my next grow fir nutes I am trying vertafort organic nutrients with vertafort growth booster and Bloom booster as this is my first grow these nutes seemed the more straightforward to use for a newbie like me

1 Like

I love the Nectar for the Gods line and their soil. It’s calcium based and really pumps out some great flavors. If im running coco i run Cyco. I don’t use salts much anymore but i’ve always had good luck with Cyco. Good soil with top dressings and compost tea is another great way to go.

3 Likes

If you have land then making compost is a great start. If you don’t have a lot of space a worm bin would be great. Making better amendments and slowly working them into what you are doing now is a great start. As you get better at amending bagged soil you can learn to make your own. Ferments can replace bloom, grow, while home made Cal-Phos can replace a bloom booster and reduce transplant shock. If you have to buy and ship ingredients that can get expensive and wastes a lot of resources so using what is around and composting your waste is a great start. Comfrey is cheap and easy to grow as is Aloe and both make great amendments.

7 Likes

Fox Farm makes fine products. Ocean Forest is great soil, if a bit hot. Big Bloom is organic also.

The Grow Big is a conventional salt nutrient. If you want to be more organic, drop the Grow Big and move towards soil amendments, like ryasco mentioned. Then you can reuse and build your soil over time.

3 Likes

i’m using the lucas formula 1 part dry which is maxibloom 7g per gallon from seed to harvest, i sometimes add epsom salts or molasses as needed… i’m in coco and i feed on every watering with dechlorinated tap water, can also use jacks pro hydroponic in a 3-2-1 which is 3g jacks pro, 2g calcium nitrate and 1g epsom salts … you can get a 25lb bag of jacks pro for 75$ so it’s much cheaper than bottled nutrients… i got 2.2lbs of GH maxibloom powder for about 20$ … should last me forever !

6 Likes

Hmmm. Working the existing ffof and adding more organic material sounds like a good plan and I do have some land to work with. It’s funny compost was mentioned because I actually was having that thought myself. I would definitely need a spinner since winter is coming up. A worm farm in not a badi idea either, also doubles as a good source of night crawlers for fishing :grin: I think I’m going to give these routes a try! Can I completely replace my liquid nutes with just compost and soil from the worm farm? Is it possible to overdue mixing these things into the soil or is it generally a more is better kinda thing?

you can over do the soil so it become too hot for the plants. there is lots of great soil recipies around.

Success is hard to measure as a guy who has spent most of my time chasing new methods. Upon hind sight Changing to make things better just broadens your knowledge and deepens your learning but slows progress way down. I would stick to what works and improve upon the genetics that will take you farther and faster than widening your techniques too soon. Just my .02 and i have never done anything consistently chasing the ultimate. But it’s all good. I recommend changing one variable at a time.

1 Like

Here is a simple mix to look at. It has been used for a long time. The aeration is 1/3 so if you add to the ffof you want the to keep the aeration at 1/3. You can add aeration to the compost then mix in some rock powders and a bit of neem before mixing in to the ffof. (If you make homemade soil at some point leaf mold can be substituted for sphagnum)

5 Likes

Ta da and there is a soil mix right out of the thin air thanks to the interweb Poof. Thanks @ryasco

1 Like

Here’s one of my other threads hopefully I did it rught

2 Likes

Try an supplement ur medium with dry nutes that feed during all grow stages…ff has some beneficial nutes an micros that gets your plants off to a good start but after a good root system has established most of the nutes in the soil have been absorbed by your plants…try some blood meal, bone meal, kelp, crushed oyster shells, and some bat gauno with phosphorus each shoud have mixing instructions for soil applications…good luck

1 Like

i also just heard about greenleaf nutrients “mega crop” an all in 1 dry nutrient powder … currently has 100% off coupon for 90g and 230g size containers (only pay shipping) which is “megacroppromo” i just ordered a 230g bag to try!

1 Like