Watering from the bottom up?

So I bought some plant trays and decided to start watering from the bottom up … sometimes they can drink as fast as I can pour the water into the tray …i have been using Fox Farm my question is what is the difference between feeding them from below compared to above!? should I flush the plant more often for salt build up or will the roots just grab what they want !?
any input helps me gain some understanding!

7 Likes

you know if you feed from the bottom, then they gonna poop out their mouths

5 Likes

Im very new but I’ve watered from bottom with no problems. However I’d think it safer to water through the soil as the soil regulates ph. I had fungus gnats so had to super dry the top.

2 Likes

Everybody knows plants don’t have mouths… Haha. I predict great insight coming in.

2 Likes

But actually my SIPs work that way and they work great!

11 Likes

roots will just drive down and build up can occur if feeding too heavy but an occasional top watering can help with that, difference is you notice the top 1/3rd of your pots wont have many roots, otherwise they will grow fine and its easy to do.

6 Likes

I avoid bottom watering under most circumstances (but I do do it…)
It’s applicable to larger established plants.

My issue with it is it is ‘uncontrolled’ … and I’m a bit of a control freak… :laughing: :vulcan_salute:
I use 1020 trays for the 1 gallon and smaller pots. These are handy when you are off on a trip as you can simply flood the tray, turn the lights down and they will do OK for several days. Smaller plants can have problems with this approach.
I don’t think salt buildup is a problem unless you are reusing your soil.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

I make sure the last of the water I do it from the top down to try and prevent this

2 Likes

It’s pretty fascinating watching them actually drink !
Some plants are more reluctant to drink from the bottom up also alot depends on soil and capillary action I’ve noticed

3 Likes

They seem to lap down the water!about a gallon and after that it’s a quarter a gallon till rejected …usually if I’m doing a nutrient feed I make the last half gallon clean water

3 Likes

I try to think what would nature do. Ah rain. But maybe not always the case.

3 Likes

Ya I enjoyed the bottom watering much more and its easier. I usually am using organics only that I need to break down in the soil too so maybe that changes things. Maybe salt fertilizers and bottom watering.

3 Likes

I maybe onto something here lol…
The one I flushed decided to fade out pretty hard so I know they were getting what they need at a substantial rate to keep them growing

Articles about this would be pretty neat …
May get lost in Google :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I mostly bottom watered these when using salt fertilizer. Because of gnats, they didn’t mindReally I’m not trying to show my plants haha.well maybe

14 Likes

Bottom watering is excellent when growing purely organic without synthetic nutes, been doing it for years.

7 Likes

Good to know. Just goes to show there’s more than one way to grow a plant.

1 Like

Been bottom watering with salt and organics freely with zero issues. Well I did drive off the gnats.

3 Likes

Anyone that used to bottom water Coco+perlite with salts?Surely you should use less nutes,well,Idk actually…?
More of a flood and drain tho

3 Likes