🎧 What Are You Listening To? (Part 5)

Had No Idea that Joni Mitchell had both Jaco Pastorius AND Pat Metheny working with Her

Quite a change from the Train-crew on the Kanada trip !

5 Likes

Disco Rap

5 Likes
1 Like

Sounds like Goretski…
Thats a sad piece of music
Symphony of Sorrows
Saw it live in Detroit !

1 Like

On a Happier NOTE

4 Likes

How lucky to be able to attend a concert like this! It will be unforgettable for you

The harvests make me sad…

2 Likes
5 Likes

What a great song! I’d never heard that cover, and I like it!

Louis Jordan was the largest selling Black musician of the entire 1940s. For anyone who’s never heard the original, here it is.

And a later live version. I believe this appeared on Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In, perhaps in 1968.

5 Likes
5 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

My friend’s reggae EP that just dropped :call_me_hand:t4:

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

It became obvious to me upon discovering Louis Jordan back in the 1970s,
that he was the primary progenitor of Rock and Roll, and he receives very little credit.
Shameful, IMO

6 Likes

There’s an understatement!

To say the very least.

Jordan, along with Ella Fitzgerald, played in the great Chick Webb’s band from the late 1930s into the early 1940s. With Webb’s untimely death in the 1939, Ella continued to lead Webb’s band while Jordan struck out on his own. Fitzgerald disbanded the Webb orchestra in 1942 in order to focus on her solo career.

When the US became involved in WWII and gas rationing was instituted, moving big bands from city to city on a daily, or near daily basis, became untenable. Jordan was able to slim down the big band sound to a minimum number of players but retain the driving beat of the great swing units.

I mentioned in a recent post that I took a history of R&B class from the great Johnny Otis. Johnny, of course, totally gave Jordan all the props he so rightfully deserves for being the foundation stone for what was to become Rock & Roll.

FWIW, Jordan made lots of race movies (i.e., movies specifically made for Black audiences). The clip that @Calyxander posted is from one of his movies, 1946’s Beware, about a black college in financial trouble. All of his movies that I have seen are, to say the least, thin on plot but musically wonderful. To get to see Louis Jordan performing in his prime, IMO, it doesn’t get much better than that.

Finally, if you know a man who is about to get married, you may want to make sure he hears the song with the same name as the movie, Beware (aka, Beware, Brother, Beware). It provides solid advice regarding the institute of marriage.

4 Likes