What do you use for soil?

What’s everyone use for medium

I’ve had great success indoors running promix bx .

7 Likes

I use fox farm ocean forest, cut with a little coco to cut down the intensity of it. Works pretty well.

2 Likes

I use promix with Gaia green dry amendments and it works great.
Nothing beats water only :grin: add in blumats and your back is thankful as well

6 Likes

My current Soil recipe goes like this:

1/3 - Promix HP
1/3 - local worm castings
1/3 - rice hulls (as they break down they become silica for plants)
Gaia green dry amendments
TM - 7 - humic acid and deep ocean micronutrients

I find.peat really hydrophobic so I like to put a layer of worm castings on the top of the pot to help soil retain its moisture. Works really well if you’re hand watering! :fire::grin::raised_hands:

7 Likes

Whatever is the cheapest at the time without fertilizers in it and grab some cheap organic ammendments. Although a local Michigan brand DairyDoo has some very nice bagged water only soils. I used that this spring to start my cannabis seeds.

7 Likes

Add your compost, aeration, and amendments.

4 Likes

Just recently tried going 100% FF OF but I am having problems at the 2 week mark. Going back to 50% Fox farm ocean forest mixed with 50% home compost.

3 Likes

Same.

Indoors or outdoors it’s my go-to base mix for anything I do. I’ve even mixed it with coco to see what happens and it turned out great with the appropriate watering adjustments. :ok_hand:

2 Likes

Ocean Forest was great when you could get it for $7-$15 per bag, but now it’s crazy. Used to just cut a hole in the bag and then throw a clone in the hole.

4 Likes

I build my own

7 Likes

It works perfectly for my indoor regime .

1 Like

It was that cheap before?
It looks like got bent over for my 3 bags. :joy:

2 Likes

Yeah, the $7 bags were in CA years ago though, so less shipping for them. But, you can still get $15 bags in Tampa and if you catch a sale and buy enough you can get them for $10. But, where I’m at now it’s $32 and some change for a bag.

4 Likes

Had to go into the big city yesterday, saw 2 pallets of ffof 39.99 a bag!
NOPE!

3 Likes

Wow, still 15$ is great!
Unfortunately, I paid 33$ no local retailer with it that I know of. I’ve seen pro mix at the depot, so I may switch to that and 10$ per 3.5cu. ft.

I basically paid that with shipping. DOH!

1 Like

2 Likes

I use promix and perlite 70/30 with GH 3 part,nothing else required so far.I bought a bunch of Walmart plastic grocery boxes when they had them on for $3 each as pots

2 Likes

I’ve been using the Revs recipes for 5or so years.
The 2.2 version. This last grow is the 1st new soil I’ve made in years, I recycle it.
Still learning how to use it better. :older_man::owl::sunglasses:

3 Likes

My soil recipe is
3 cu ft peat moss
Coco coir about 2 cu ft
4 cu ft perilte
1 cu ft worm castings
1cu ft compost
This is base mix fertilizer amounts very depending on plant stage
Espoma plant tone
Greensand
Rock phosphorus
Kelp meal
Bat guano high phosphorus
Espoma garden lime
Gypsum
Sea shell powder
Biochar
This mix will cost about 100 bucks (less if you don’t use coco coir)to make 11 cu ftof soil once you have your fertilizers. Most 8-9 week plants will finsh with no added fertilizers.

7 Likes

My local hydro store is great, when we just need to do some quick transplanting we’ll use FFOF or roots organic which are both $12/1.5 cubic feet. When the plants finish, if they’re in containers, we leave them near our compost bins and break the soil and root ball up to cover yard or food waste.

Recentlt the store had a deal on coco/perlite at $10/2 cubic feet, so our batch of soil this year is a mix of that with compost, soil from previous grows, a mix of different meals, some minerals mixed in, but I handle calcium and magnesium with solution grade gypsum and Epsom salts so I’m not as worried about having an abundance of those in the mix.

2 Likes