FFOF, not impressed

So I haven’t bought any soil in a long time. I wanted to up pot a plant I have in recycled soil so I grabbed a bag of FFOF. Ive been using the recycled for seedlings and clones mostly. I dumped about a 3rd of the bag in my mixing tub. First thing I notice is the lack of perlite. So I add perlite and water and start mixing.
This is the fire wood from a 3rd of a bag.

Not impressed. I wont buy it again.

23 Likes

I came to exactly the same conclusion.
Enough lumber to build a doghouse :vulcan_salute: :laughing:

Too hot for seedlings, too weak for veg. I’ve got much better material now…

Cheers
G

13 Likes

Used FFOF the past couple grows and it caused nothing but issues for me. Switching to organics next run.

6 Likes

So what soil do you all recommend? I need to get 4 autos started the end of the month for the cottage so I can plant them May 24 weekend. Being a coco guy I have never grown any plants in soil.

7 Likes

I’m trying out 1:1:1 Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Earthworm Castings, and aeration which seems fairly standard

I don’t have the space for no till pots so I’m planning organic fertilizers, 4-4-4 and 4-8-4 by Down To Earth Organics mostly.

Here’s a thread I made asking for input on my recipe, big takeaway is that the fertilizer ratios in the OP would be too hot

2 Likes

Making your own, so you know for sure what and how much of everything is in it. That way you know its not going to run out of steam just as the plants are going into flower which normally happens in bought bag soil with longer than average vegging times.

If you are going to supplement with ferts then its not so much of a problem, but for organic no till, it kinda messes the whole process up for the plant having to wait for nutrients to brake down and be available.

6 Likes

Build a soil offers a light feed for veg. I think they have a mix it your own also.

Equal parts peat, ewc, aeration would probably be plenty for seedlings also to make things easier.

Could just start in some bagged soil in solo cups then transplant to a meatier mix offered by kis or buildasoil :man_shrugging:.

1 Like

I was finding lots of rocks in the bag I’m using. I only use it to mix in with my ProMix and EWC. It has some biochar I figure is ok.

But, when mixing up some soil in the wheelbarrow for potting my next run, I kept finding rocks about the size of a marble… :disappointed: The EWC is always clumped up and I squish the clumps for mixing. But when I thought I was picking up EWC, they were rocks. :confused: :expressionless:

8 Likes

It looks like a bad latte.

Cutting corners everywhere I guess.

2 Likes

Ffof you used to be my go to veg soil.

I’ll probably just do my own now.

3 Likes

Roots original is normally my go too, trying Promix and ewc this time.

2 Likes

I don’t do much soil growing anymore. Mostly just for starting plants. I didn’t need much soil. I don’t remember FFOF being this bad.

3 Likes

Shit. I was going to use FF Happy Frog for 1/2 of my mix for a mexican landrace seed run and now i’m worried.

My other plan was to go with 1/3 of each: promix BX + worm castings + perlite (because classics are classics for a good reason).

1 Like

Been using Pro-Mix with Mychorrhizae for a really long time, I don’t reuse it, I dump in in my outdoor raised beds. It works great in outdoor big pots also, it drains well and lets you know when it needs water

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the HP has perlite in it already if it might help you skip a step. I find it a good balance of drainage/retention.

I used to add extra perlite but don’t feel it’s necessary anymore.

The EWC is obviously a different animal.

4 Likes

I already us BX in all my mixes so i’m used to amending it with perlite when i need a more airy mix. :hugs:

EWC is amazing :poop: ! I use it as a top dressing on ALL my seedlings now with great results. Even a few difficult poppers did their thing well due to the EWC layer; and since i know it won’t burn the plant in ANY stage i’m falling in love with how helpful it has been.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s all about finding the right balance. Vermiculite for retention, perlite for drainage. Lots of ways to go.

I like EWC too but man is it expensive.

1 Like

Yeah. My work local sells it at 20$ a pop for the 30L bag. This is why I top-dress with it versus mixing. Oh well, i’d rather spend the $ doing something right then get plant burned.

2 Likes

I am loving on Miller soils "Red’s Premium Biochar blend.

INGREDIENTS

Coconut Coir, Perlite, Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss, Pumice, Compost, Biochar, Worm Castings, Soybean Meal, Fish Meal, Oyster Shell Flour, CalPhos, Fish Bone Meal, Crustacean Meal, Kelp Meal, Dolomite, Glacial Rock Dust, Endo-Mycorhizzae, Yucca Extract

It’s hot and do not recommend it for small plants.

Best thing it is water only for a month at least.
I have gone well past a month using water only.

Also, have grown my largest plants yet using it.
It’s expensive but its worth it in my opinion…

Best thing is you don’t have to add any BORON… :rofl:

4 Likes

If you have access to it, try Coast of Maine Stonington Blend!! It’s a “just add water” mixture, HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. ALL, SS/BW…@mister :honeybee:

10 Likes