What does everyone think about high light intensity just after germination?

1st day under gavita

2 Likes

3rd day as of right now

5 Likes

Difference in color is light when I took pic… not a change in the plant

I think this is it maybe…

2 Likes

This is quite awesome. I was just coming to some of these conclusions here, but far less extreme and slower. This saves time experimenting. I have seedlings right now and they stretched. I’m learning fast, but still a nube about a lotta of things. Not long ago, I fried some seedlings, then I over corrected with these. I was just starting to see correlation between food and light. I knew that about plants, so it seems stupid now. I was under the assumption that seedlings couldn’t eat much, but apparently with enough light they can. These last trays got more food, quicker, and are closer to the lights, but I still didn’t really go hard enough.

cool post

2 Likes

I agree. Seedlings do better with more light. Way less stretchy and they grow faster out of the baby stage. I have no idea where the “seedlings need soft light” information comes from.

If they can germ outside in full sun, they can handle a grow light.

12 Likes

I’ve had seeds fall from a mother plant and germinate during a grow… before I got my basement set up a bit better, I had temperatures as high as 95F and humidity as low as 20%, with two 1kW HPS bulbs on the light rails 4’ above and four blurples on the walls bracketing the plants. The seedling didn’t seem to mind one bit. I let it grow there until it was ready for a transplant to a 1g pot, a few weeks or so.

4 Likes

I have DEFINITELY fried multiple seedlings with too much light (led) . I promise you it’s possible…

5 Likes

I wouldn’t set a seedling a foot away from a 1K bulb for 18 hr days obviously…It’s possible to kill anything with enough light. I guess I’m saying they can handle whatever you’re using as a veg light. Mine are about 20"-24" away from a 315 bulb…same as the tops of the other veg plants.

5 Likes

The sun is the highest light intensity you can get/have and it’s free lighting.

3 Likes

My pots dry faster and grow faster under the sun as long as its sunny and about 50 degrees

1 Like

Agree completely with the premise that seedlings can handle way more light than is generally suggested.

But with that said, I’m surprised not to see this conversation focus on DLI rather than PPFD.

Daily Light Integral seems like the relevant parameter here as it represents the total amount of light energy delivered to the plant over a single day/night cycle. PPFD is the intensity of useful spectrum delivered at a single spot and needs to be averaged over the growing area to be at all useful in this context.

So intense light for less time e.g. 8/16 may deliver the same total energy to the plant as the more common 18/6 at a much reduced PPFD level.

Apologies if I’m sounding pedantic, I understand the you folks likely already know this stuff. I was just surprised to note that it wasn’t included in this discussion.

@Terpsnpurps, leave your light intensity where it is and try 16/8 for a few days at your own risk. LoL

Respectfully,
-Grouchy

4 Likes

I will man… it isn’t the light it’s the plant that is the issue when theres issues… so if I were to do that I’d need to adjust feed again… we shall see… not sure yet… but the dli shouldn’t make a difference… I mean the dli will be more… at 18 6 but I doubt it will make any difference as long as feed is correct

It’s possible because your feed wasn’t right for that… or maybe u had light too close… but not from dli or ppfd

I like it low in seedling/veg 250par to start then ramp up to 400 when everything’s established. Not saying it’s the best way, but it works for me and dimmer lights=lower power consumption = lower electric bill.

4 Likes

What do you you think increases when you move the light closer…doesn’t matter how you choose to measure it.

3 Likes

Right… I’m 42 inches away… with an led heat doesn’t increase like you think… ppfd does but not too much heat… I’m at 85 °f on them and humidity is 65 to 70 percent… it’s the proper Temps and humidity that helps here… dli just bonus… outside of these settings say lower humidity or lower temps… plant growth will slow down… at those Temps and humidity at high ppfd it has proved optimal… here’s an example… day 1 I had my light at 100 percent for 2 hours and heat went too high… so I went down because of Temps and humidity was fluctuating too much… I like a solid temp and solid humidity if possible… but 2 hours at seedling 100 percent light power was like over 700 ppfd… they were fine…

Bugbee proved this already… light can be extremely high with the correct parameters… if you’re seeing issue it’s from feed or environment not light strength

1 Like

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DID9rE5JewVg&ved=2ahUKEwiJj7G95qf1AhXCjIkEHfgPCLoQwqsBegQIBBAE&usg=AOvVaw0updjSif5pHFdcnUGTukAl

1 Like

I threw seedlings under full power and only one seems to be suffering therefore I’m not blaming the light intensity.

1 Like