What is an F1, F2, and IBL?

Yeah I still have a hard time wrapping my head around it though have had some great teachers reading through threads like this

3 Likes

Alright maybe someone with experience in genealogy can help.
So I made a cross about 6 months ago.
Marionberry kush x golden triangle(reversed). This cross is an S1, if Iā€™m not mistaken.
Now I would like to take some of the original feminized pollen(gt) and pollinate the Marionberry kush x golden triangle cross.
(Marionberry kush x golden triangle) x golden triangle.
I donā€™t think this would be considered a backcross(bx) since im not using pollen from the new cross. Would this be the start of an inbred line? Thanks ahead of time for anyone taking their time to help! Happy holidays.

2 Likes

So Iā€™m sorry if this is off subject but Iā€™m just curious about what the meaning is when it says V1 or V2?

1 Like

Bodhis dragons blood hashplant and dragons blood hashplant v2
V1(dragon blood x 88g13)
V2(dragon blood f4 x 88g13)
He used a new version of his dragon blood and the same male for pollen.

4 Likes

Ohh ok I totally understand it but itā€™s so hard to understand terminology when youā€™re a stoner lol

1 Like

I could be wrong as well, but I thought an S1 was crossed to itself. Pretty sure you just have a Feminized cross.

Iā€™m also pretty sure that hitting the fem pollen you have onto the progeny would still be a BX on the GT side. I might be thinking about it wrong though. Iā€™m no expert. Youā€™re basically taking the new cross and crossing that to the original Golden Teacher, just with the Golden Teacher being the pollen donor in both cases.

2 Likes

Thank you very much. Have a great weekend!

1 Like

An inbred line is a mostly homozygous* line that may or may not be mostly homogeneous. Two said lines have a far greater chance of producing a homogeneous but heterozygous line. Starting with the F2 any plant can be both homozygous and homogeneous, you can self that plant and you are done. There is no minimum generations necessary. There is only homozygous necessary.

3 Likes

Theoretically could you use the V2 crossed to an F1 Dragonblood plant to stabilize the Deagon Blood traits? Iā€™ve been looking for a pack of V2 for this purpose

1 Like

Iā€™m for sure not the one to ask! Iā€™m not familiar enough with genetics or breeding to answer this, but I will tell you with the small knowledge I do have. I wouldnā€™t use another line(dragonblood hashplant v1 or v2) to try and accomplish this since it works in a totally different gene pool.

1 Like

I grew female f2ā€™s and reversed one of them to pollinate another lebanese sinatra female, the same strain and generation from a different mother pheno. would this be considered a femenized f3? or is there a more specific term for this?

An F3 cross is created from intergenerational breeding of the same parents, what youā€™ve done is more accurately called line breeding where parallel line are bred and inter-crossed to increase the frequency of genes/phenotypic expressions while mitigating genetic bottle necks showing more recessive trait/less vigour.

Thank you for that small bit of knowledge, that is important and I didnā€™t even think of it that way so it did help clarify things for me.

1 Like

I would agree, the BX1 generation uses mixed pollen from F1 cross back to the mom to start increasing the frequency of the moms DNA in the seeds, theoretically moving the plant toward the Hardy Weinstein equilibrium quicker.

I donā€™t know if successive S1 generations will lead to a stable IBL or just increase the frequency of recessive traits expressing through recombination.

2 Likes

So Iā€™ve got these cali connection pre98 bubba seeds.
Fem seeds: Pre-98 Bubba x Pre-98 Bubba S1

Iā€™m going to be using STS and selfing each plant with its own pollen.

The question is, what will these seeds be considered?
Pre98 bubba S2?

1 Like

I see that as a rbx1 s1. But I suspect others will say bx1 s1 as they donā€™t differentiate between a backcross and a selfed backcross.

If you vary techniques enough it starts to become messy. Like if you crossed your rbx1 s1 to a male of the same, itā€™d be better to write out the cross than try and call it some F2 or whatever. In my layman opinion.

2 Likes

Iā€™d call it a BX1 S1 - RBX if you prefer. The original fem seeds are a BX1, and youā€™re selfing them for the first time, since theyā€™re distinct from the originally selfed Bubba. Fairly sure RBX and S(whatever) are both terms that only exist within cannabis breeding anyway though, so when you get right down to it, we can call it supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and itā€™s just as accurate as long as everyone understands it. You might have to explain a few more times if you choose to do that, with no common ground rather than shaky common ground, but either way people might reasonably be wondering. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Actually yes you are correct, I need to edit my post now.

Where does the backcross come from?

Itā€™s crossed with itself. The s1 is the daughter and is crossed back to the mother

I was assuming the Pre-98 Bubba x Pre-98 Bubba S1 was a backcrossā€¦ of course, depending on whether they were too stoned to remember a set of parentheses, that entirely changes shape, could be thereā€™s no backcross at all and these are just Pre-98 Bubba S2.

edit: Didnā€™t even fully read the OP - if these seeds are from Cali Connection, they say theyā€™re a backcross. So yeah, I guess youā€™d call them BX1 S1.

5 Likes