What is eating these clones away?

My clones are dying before they are rooting. It seems it is an issue at the leaf level not the root level. It seems the leaves get burned or something. Notice these patches of dead leaves in the images. I am not having root rot.

the clones grow in rooting plugs (eazy plugs) which are watered with chlorinated water. Temperature at root level is between 20 - 23 degree celsius (heated humidity dome). The cloner lids are half open. If I open them too much I think the clones dry out. The cloner gets disinfected before use. I use only one fluorescent bulb 20 Watts.

Also the clones get sprayed with 1 - 3 % hyrogen peroxide water solution.

It seems that the leaves are slowly dying away and then after enough leaves died the dead rest willl just mold away.

Is it too humid? Is the hydrogen peroxide or the chlorine hurting the plants? Could it be a sickness from the mother plants (they didn’t look too good after the cold winter, had some yellow leaves). Some sort of nutrient burn? I am not feeding them. Could it be a ph issue? I am spraying them fairly often but the water (tap water has ph 6.9).

My lower leaves always die on clones. Trim them waaaaay down. Like cut 2/3 of each leaf off. You don’t need to pull nutes into a clone, with full leaves they can respirate too much.

I use tap water when I clone without issue. I’d turn the heat off, and try only water too.

1 Like

Have you had russet mites?

Pictures aren’t really clear, but the curved leaves the color and the patched green/yellow colour makes me think it could be that.

Otherwise, most unluckily, it can be mosaic virus.

But if the mother wasn’t really healthy don’t expect it either from the cuts.

2 Likes

You solved your own mystery. :clap:

4 Likes

Good clones come from good mums : )
Like all things in life , preparation is the key

5 Likes

Why are you spraying h2o2 on your unrooted clones? I know some people do this to treat specific known issues, but it doesn’t sound like you have a known issue. I have literally a 100% success rate with my clones, and I’ve never sprayed them with hydrogen peroxide.

Regarding your water, it may not be a bad idea to get a gallon of distilled water and only use that. Your pH balanced chlorinated tap water may not be an issue, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t. Not all municipal water is the same.

2 Likes

I’m going with peroxide being the cause. I tried spaying a clone with diluted peroxide before and it looked just like this. Never did it again.

2 Likes

If the plugs are moist and there’s condensation on the sides of the dome, then you don’t need to mist. Once I put my cuttings into the rooter plugs/peat pellet, the most I do is wipe off some of the condensation and let the lm breath for a minute. Though up till now I’ve been using large jars and sealing them in pretty tight. Now that I have trays and domes that aren’t air tight, or they even have vents, I just set and forget.

7 Likes

Solution:

• Changed the resevoir. After the moms looked much better. And as a result I could take healthy cuttings.
  • Bought smaller cloners. Divided the clones in several cloners. So if there is a pathogen it will be containend in one cloner and not infect all clones
  • stopped using peroxide. I guess the peroxide burned the leaves a bit
  • and as a result of stopping to spray the clones always, they didnt get too humid anymore
1 Like