What is the best Chem based product for gnats? Bene's quit working

BotaniGard will work but it’s not an instant gratification thing. There is a powder, it’s what I use, but you have to apply it at root zone. Then they have a liquid, I haven’t use it but I guess it’s more for soil drench. BotaniGard 22WP | Beauveria bassiana Wettable Powder

I haven’t used Dr Zymes but I’ve heard it works well. The Amazing Doctor Zymes Eliminator | Pest & Disease Control

I rely on a combination the Beauverua Bassiana, Rove Beetles, Strats and BTi or mosquito bits.

1 Like

Diatomaceous Earth works well. Just a dusting on top of the soil DUSTING. It only works when dry so like the day after watering, you need to re dust the surface again. It works on a microscopic level. It like tiny razor blades. It slices the abdomen of bugs and kills them by dehydration. Some folks don’t like it. I feel they are applying it too heavy. I use it every grow. I have not seen gnats in a few years. works for BigMike.

4 Likes

Going to reincorporate botaniguard to the regime and water pots from the bottom for a week. Maybe add DE again, but damn they seemed to care less.

It’s definitely not aphids.

So the regime will be NoFly > Thuracide > BTI > Botanigard > Nematodes

These guys are really resistant.

Hey, the hydrogen peroxide drench is one and done. 1 part of regular old store bought hydrogen peroxide with 2 parts water.

I had a house plant from a big box store that was completely infested with gnats. The hydrogen peroxide soil drench insta-fixed it.

1 Like

Here is a brand new product from a trusted organic brand. I have had tremendous success with their products, although I never tested this out myself.

2 Likes

BTI worked great in the US, once moved to Euro, that did not much on the gnats i got… pretty useless to be honest, so it depends on the gnat species…

Bottom watering always keeps gnats away, however, nematodes and persimillis mites is what I use nowadays, works great! so far the few times they came back , i used it and they were gone within a few weeks!

Peace!

3 Likes

Oh also lots of breeze/wind. like a near or actual stressful amount of wind to the plant specifically at pot/substrate level.

This is a great product thanks for showing us. I just ordered it.

1 Like

Alright I just want to say definitely pick up the No Fly product guys. This is really a nice and noticeable difference in population. I think that and the Build a Soil product is probably a knockout mix. I will keep this updated through the warm weather.

I walked in today and see 0 flyers. I added a second dose of it last night that was a bit stronger. I will go ahead and vouch for that product and we all know Build A Soils products are usually the best in category.

You can see the fungus growth like with Met52 etc. This just seems to be very effective and I feel confident with it. The day after the first innoculation I had new growth that looked good. My seedlings looked bad…this soil I used had a colony before I ever even planted. I saw them opening the bag but was prepared with my normal regimen and figured it would be fine but for whatever reasons these guys didn’t care much about bti de etc.

Also I want to note that despite all the bacteria strains I am using the beneficial’s I used are also doing well. I don’t see a lot of rove beetles anymore only one last night but the hypo’s are vibrant. Hopefully none of these larvacides hurt nematodes. I don’t have a way to tell though.

2 Likes

Okay didn’t think I’d have anything to report for a few days but applied no fly for second time and the Build a Soil gnat wdg last night and this afternoon I can’t find a gnat…there were flyers last night so this is a big punch to population. Be back in a couple of days.

BTW I was able to get my water filters installed today and also started using this for when I use the hose. Awesome and extremely useful. It works. Water tastes great. Just thought this was a great alternative compared to the wall mounted most of us use. You just attach it to your hose.

1 Like

Okay NoFly and Build a Soils WDG is incredible. 3 days straight 0 visible. One of the worst infestations I have had. Thuracide and store bought BTI’s did nothing it seemed. The usual use of 3 different beneficial didn’t do much either. The fogging machine citric acid etc did nothing…same with DE dry or not.

I am seriously impressed. They came already flying out of the soil I just had no choice but to plant and usually the normal stuff keeps them under control. It’s a noticeable difference day one from use. I never thought it would totally eliminate them, they usually just are contained after something like this. I’ve been professionally growing for 20 years so I felt at a loss on this one with everything I was using. Those products are now shelved. I don’t think the bene’s are even necessary anymore and that will cut costs of production considerably.

2 Likes

Are these possibly Broad Mites? Hypo wouldn’t be eating a dead seed would they? I did recently receive clones from another garden. I wonder if I am dealing with a dual problem possibly.

1 Like

that looks like scale bugs

1 Like

That’s definitely a mite to the right of the seed. I just don’t know what type. Is it hypoaspis miles and why does it look like it’s laying eggs on a seedling that is now dead? I have a hunch. Going to treat for them I guess.

Can’t say enough about these two products. Not a gnat insight still. It kills fliers and soil dwelling gnats. They are gone gone and I do still have all my beneficial running around which is a double bonus.

I’m 99.9% sure those are Orbatid mites. Oribatid (Oribatida) Mites in Living Soil – MI Beneficials

1 Like

Neem cake tea knocks those bastards out for good. It has a good bit of nitrogen in it tho but once a week for three weeks no more gnats. Drench the whole soil.

2 Likes

Yeah used to use neem in my living soil but now I enjoy it being extremely basic and perfect. I will keep this in mind but I quit using it because of extra N. So far 0 flyers or signs of anything. Plants completely rebounded. Really impressed and happy because this is cheap treatment too just like neem.

I’m down with yellow stickies for fungus gnats and blue for thrips…

The best part is when you see a fly or some other bad bug stuck…

For my money though, mosquito dunks/bits.

If one doesn’t like them because of the propensity for mold to form on the corncob medium, one can always make a tea with them using a nylon hose or sock…. Just get the Bacillus Thuringiensis in there…it wil do the rest…

2 Likes

Oh well, I have no complaints about the device I bought, some crunchy snacks for the birds … frech|nullxnull

4 Likes