What’s the best water to use to get roots

What’s the best water to use when taking clones? I never used anything but tap water. Just wondering what others use. RO, filtered, spring water, what’s the best way to go?

2 Likes

Distilled every time.

2 Likes

If soaking plugs I’ll ph it to 6.3 and add very mild bloom nutes at about 250-300 ppm. I’ve had good results using just tap but the added nutes helps keep them green while they’re rooting in my experience.

5 Likes

I’ve only used tap water
They love the minerals in it

1 Like

It would depend upon the water quality of the area I am growing but straight San Francisco tap water works with neither nutrients nor rooting hormones for me.
I do add ~300ppm of bloom nutes when soaking rockwool cubes to be used for cuttings, like @FirstCavApache64. I always get 100% rooting, with or without rooting hormones.

10 Likes

Thanks everyone. I usually use tap water and get great results. With rooting hormone or without. I was just experiencing some difficulties lately and I just don’t want to leave anything to chance. Il get some distilled water.

2 Likes

I’m far from a cloning expert. It’s probably my weakest area. I’ve never been a “roots in 4 days!” type guy…but I’ve always used tapwater and my success rate is upper 90’s. I just cut, dip in rooting powder or liquid, and plug into rockwool. Same nutrient water everything else gets.

7 Likes

Good old tap water and a few drops of bleach per gallon = :moneybag: ran RO, Distilled even Brita and spring straight from the source by my cottage. Spring and tap KILLED the others. Which has led me to believe the minerals , fluoride, etc. they love :wink:

3 Likes

East coast tri state water right out the tap ppms 110 lately normally 190
No issues at all

Soak rooters in it with a little humic acid

I got to try bloom nutes thing
Considering it’s a best practice to water moms with bloom feed before taking snips

I’ve set snips in water and let it sit for 15 days and they rooted I changed the water every other day I was curious if it would work but it takes too long

Paps

7 Likes

East coast tri-state area as well, 120-170ppm tap water depending on time of year.
I take cuttings, set them in a cup of tap water, then dip stem into technoflora rooting gel then into a peat pellet.
Works great, sometimes I skip the rooting gel and have the same results. It’s just become a habit to use if I have it on hand.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply’s. I’m gonna go with distilled. I’m even looking at a home water distiller for the house.
I just been having a ruff run lately and I’m trying to cover my bases. I’ve never had a problem before. Always was a 100%, rooted in 4 days kinda guy. And my last run was awful. I got some dead clones that came in dead withered and useless, but I got them to root after a month. They never regained their strength and I couldn’t get roots on the cuts I took from them. Then when they did root they were just sickly. So I tossed them. Now that I’m ready to get new cuts, I just wanna make sure I give them the best chance they can get. Plus I read that there’s cloramine in my water. Like I said, I never had an issue before but wtf. This shitt happened to me once before and it turned out the city dumped like 20 times more chlorine in the water. They found out cause it was killing cows in the aria. That was far from where I am now but my wife said she smelled chlorine in the water here too. I always let it sit for a day or too before using it but I just seen where it says they’re using cloramine here. It’s confusing because I used this water without a problem before. Still, better safe then sorry rite?

1 Like