What size led for a 5x5?

I like strong light for flowering, stronger than most would consider appropriate. In a 5x3 flowering tent I’m running 700w and in a 4x4 flowering tent I have two FCE-6500 units that are on the same bar so it’s doubled up from what it normally should be. Each LED is 650w I believe, so I can go up to 1300w in a 4x4 space. Instead of running at 1300w though I run each at 50-75%. I’ve found that I enjoy higher yields per watt than if I have one unit driven at 100%.

I’m a strange fella though and like to do things differently. For example I’m experimenting with aeration using water pumps and moving water with air pumps… if that says anything about me :crazy_face:

If I could offer some advice if the wallet allows it… find some way to cram multiple units into the same space and drive them at lower wattages. You’ll see you have generally more photons on your plants and they will surely love it.

5 Likes

Maybe grab a pair of smaller LED lights to put on either side of it? There are a lot of good $100 lights out there now

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I was going to say. Would probably work really well.

2 Likes

If your wanting to grow quality bud , 800 to 1000 par @ canopy across the grow space is what you need. 600 par can grow well , but not like 1000 can with most strains ive run . 600 led watts allows me that in a 4x 4 and would not use less

7 Likes

A 315w CMH is good for a 5 sq/ft light foot print.
Or a 2.5 x 2.5 area. 5.06 sq/ft
Not anywhere near good enough for 25 sq/ft. 5 x 5.

1 Like

Now that i know this i wonder why the grow store owner sold me this along side a 5x5. I was going by his recommendation as i went in there completely blind, at the time it was a no expense held kinda deal. Idk why he sold me all types of shit and not the right light. Too bad he is out o in business now i cant even go there to ask the guy.

Do you dim your 600w led or run it full blast during flower?

1 Like

I was also wondering that. I do have a 100w vivosun and 200w spider farmer. Can i mix these lights in with a cmh and not stree the plants?

2 Likes

Also how do you guys not go blind? I got a pair of method7 glasses they were over $100 but still eyes ache and i go cock eyed after staring at the buds for so long lol

@seeds2weeds

They start off week one with light tight and 40 percent . Week 2 same . Week 3 i raise bars , increase to 60 percent . Week 3 they grow up to the bars and finish stretch at 5 or 7 inchs under bar. Week 4 power goes 80 percent light is at 8 to 10 inchs. Week 6789 100 percent light tight as i can without bleaching , 8 to 10 inchs . Back off to 80 percent weeks 10 and on if any .

par veg 600 to 800
early flower 800
mid flower 850 up
prime time 1000
late finish 750 to 800

Just way i do it

4 Likes

Copied and pasted with your nutrient feeding regimen.

Great info guys, should do the same. :100:

1 Like

What country are you in @seeds2weeds?

1 Like

Im in the us

2 Likes

Great info. I been babying my light at 50%-65%. I dont really know how or when to raise it so this is gonna help a lot for next round

2 Likes

THOSE numbers are only good for a full spectrum light throwing little heat , in a A/C and Humidity controlled room , with plenty of air moving and healthy larger plants .

I also never run dry in the medium ad i bottom feed .

Those numbers , under a cheap led , in a small hot tent with poor airflow would cook plants .

So all is relative , take with grain o salt

5 Likes

Note to self. :rofl:

1 Like

True. Thats why i keep my low, i rather play it better safe than sorry even tho i have been screwing up a lot lately, but have been learning a lot lately.

1 Like

75 to 85 F , 50 to 65 humidity , airflow at all times , good numbers on larger plants .

Those numbers grow my 6 to 7 footers .Yea only top 3 feet produce being lolly popped , but large plants yielding 6 to 15 ounces , NOT 30 inch 1.5 oz plants .

30 inch 2 Z plants id be all over at 10 inchs off and maybe 60 to 80 power levels . id use my meter to achieve above numbers which would take less watts and lower light

2 Likes

650-700 LED watts will do you well, they make 650 light bars that are perfect for that space.

4 Likes

I won’t be growing indoors for size or quantity. Save that for the gauntlet. Fun size for quality.

1 Like