What was your first computer and what did you do in the early computer years.

Doom
Wolfenstein
Warcraft

Andddddd Leisure Suite Larry

5 Likes

Wolfistein was the best!!

2 Likes

I miss BBS era. High ascii art and menus. Hours put into it.

1 Like

And IRC and then mIRC. Then learning how to grab an ip… And then uh-oh… I’ll stop there.

1 Like

You must be just a baby :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I used to think I was hot shit, playing wav clips of songs in mIRC rooms with my friends.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Damn the memories.

1 Like

Touchèe
PIRATE: People fall at my feet when they see me coming
SWORDMSTR: My wisest enemies run away at the first sight of me!
GUYBRUSH: Even BEFORE they smell your breath?

1 Like

My first computer was an Apple IIc. Pirates was and still is a great game.

3 Likes

How about Spellcasting 101…201…301?

1 Like

No one ever played duke nukem for MS DOS? IBM thinkpad 700…

5 Likes

Used to do LAN parties… duke was always in rotation. Lot of MoH Spearhead…

1 Like

That makes me laugh :slight_smile: My very first contracting job as an Engineer I worked at a very large HMO

they had offices up and down the East coast and on the West coast

We had a Game Server in Sliver Springs Maryland and a MP3 Server in Latham New York

and our Video server was in Los Angeles

very Friday like clockwork at 4 AM EST we would play Quake III Arena or Half Life and stream MP3/Videos

by 9 am we would gets callsl at Help Desks all over the US asking why is the Network soooo slooow?

we would say Just finishing a backup, a Network upgrade etc. etc.

I love IT

Dequilo

4 Likes

played duke nukem dos, think 6.4

Quake II and Star Craft tournaments! Lots of file sharing, mostly music and pr0n. Pizza and slamming Dr. Pepper. Ah, the good ole days.

5 Likes

I was telling my wife about this thread, and she reminded me, my first computer wasn’t the TRS-80. It was actually a chess computer I bought in 1978. I’ve been an avid chess player all my life, but living in a rural area, there was never anyone to play with. Someone told me about a chess computer they read about, so I located one and went to try it out. I ended up buying it and all my wife saw of me for the next 6 months was the back of my head as I was stooped over that computer playing chess hahaha…

4 Likes

my first was an 386-DX Intel processor on top of an IBM clone motherboard (can’t remember the make) with DOS 5.1 and windows 3 (I believe, don’t hold me to it) on it. It had an internal 3.5 inch (a: drive), and 5 in (b: drive) with a whopping 550Mb hard drive and don’t forget the 14.4 fax modem! I shopped all of the parts from a magazine called ‘Computer Shopper’, had it all sent to me and put it together, worked fine, from there it was pretty easy. Built the rest since then.

regards,

4 Likes

AHH!! Computer Shopper hahaha!!! That thing was about the size of a NYC phonebook. What a great memory browsing through that thing.

3 Likes

@mike28086 I remember computer shopper! way back it was real good, we also had these big sales at convention centers and so on where many venders came those were real good for buying to

1 Like