What was your first festival/ concert? And why was it memorable?

I love taping shows. Somewhere along the way I stopped doing it and I sort of miss it.

2 Likes

First concert - KISS 1979! Saw Gene Simmons blow fire, and I went back stage and met the band after the show. Got drum sticks, guitar picks, etc. :metal:

Saw Alice in 84! :v:

5 Likes

First concert was Facetoface around 1996ish in Cincinnati at a place called Bogart’s. Chic at school asked me to go. It was pretty awesome.
First festival was Ozz fest 1999ish in Dayton OH. Dude saw my graffix bong shirt and waved me over to share a few bowls. Titties everywhere, what a day!

6 Likes

Okay let’s see. My first concert would have been Pioson/Warrant/FireHouse at the Tulsa State Fair in like 91/92. I was like 10 and went with my cousin who was older and her dad my uncle Don. Long story short I get lost and wait in a security tent for an hour or so. Great time! First Festival was in Dallas 97 or 98 at RockFest. I was 17 and sniffing speed and drinking Brass Monkey for a couple days before going to Dallas with the same cousin. Stay up all night drinking and drugging then off we go to Texas Motor Speedway. I had no idea there would be 100,000 people packed into a NASCAR stadium in the middle of Texas and the 120° weather. So I have the time of my life then blackout. Come to like an hour later partying with strangers and am watching a wet tshirt contest. Cant find any of my people I went with so I spent the next 12 hours in and out of consciousness searching for my cuz and friends. Never find them so I just started looking for a patch of grass to sleep on. I stumbled for like an hour then finally lay down and pass out. After a while of that it starts pouring rain and I managed to break into a security trailer with some other lost souls and pass back out. Wake up to the sunrise and see about 30 or 40 people packed into this small trailer like sardines. Rain had stopped so out into the world I go to fi d my way back to The marriot in downtown Dallas. I start walking down a highway and eventually hitch a ride with an older couple who dropped me off in Justin Tx. at a truck stop next to the Justin boot factory. I call the hotel and let my peoples know to come get me!!! While chilling at the truck stop I met up with a couple dudes that I had met at the show who sold me a 20 sack of Mexican brick and while burning a J and looking at the paper I see my cousin and all my friends on the front page of the Dallas Morning News. My ride got there shortly after and I began to explain my crazy adventures. Good times.

8 Likes

thats epic man .
@JBow918

4 Likes

It was crazy for sure. Cant believe it turned out as a good learning experience. lol

3 Likes

My first 2 concerts was around 1970 Steppenwolf with 3 Man Army at Shippensburg college then the following year, 1971 at the Zembo Mosque in Harrisburg PA Steppenwolf and someone that got booed off the stage.
After that, I can not really remember chronology, just going to see some smoking hot bands of the times. Deep Purple a couple of times. Uriah Heep was a great show. Manfred Man’s Earth Band, with Black Oak Arkansas that was a GREAT night of tunes. Saw Alice Cooper in Baltimore, got picked up for public intoxication, then had to hitchhike 60 miles home.
Bowies Diamond Dog tour at Madison Square Garden in 74 Earl Slick was on guitar instead of Mick Ronsen. Then one of the most classy concerts I ever saw, 75 Young Americans.
Cool memory thread!

8 Likes

I enjoy reading everyone’s posts here in this thread, awesome concerts and good, some bad experiences. And some learning, still fun to hear about them.

Keep on rocking,

Pawsfodocaws

6 Likes

My first ever concerts were at the Yoshi’s jazz club in oakland and san francisco when I was a little kid. I really recommend yoshi’s if you’re in the area. I went back as an adult when I turned 21 and had a great time. Very nice small venues with great sound and comfortable tables to sit at.

My all time favorite venue is the Fox Theater in Oakland. It was restored to its original glory some time around 2008. It’s decked out in art deco style orientalist architecture. Two giant, golden Thai gods flank the stage on either side, and the ceiling is an ornate latticework fractal. I always planned to trip there but it never happened. It would be an amazing place for psychedelics.

When I was in high school I went to shows at the fox every couple of months. at the time the staff was super cool. We would roll joints in the hallways and light up in general admission standing room. We were underage of course. They used to bring drink orders out onto the dance floor. People would pay at the bar, and the waitresses would bring their drink out to them when it was ready.

I got to know some of the waitresses there. Whenever they couldn’t find the person on the dance floor who had ordered drinks, they would just bring them to me. Hahaha.

Another highlight at the fox was a show I went to while I was in college. Alice Glass crowdsurfed to the back of the audience. One her way back to the stage she crowdsurfed out to me wile singing, grabbed onto my shoulder and anchored herself there, and then asked for hit from my joint. Everyone around us just held her in the air as she took massive drags off of my joint, while screaming rhythmically in beat to the music between puffs.

Pretty sure the first time I got high was at a Roger Waters concert in 2006.
It was at an outdoor venue on a hill overlooking a rocky beach, but somehow the crowd managed to hotbox an outdoor amphitheater. I’ve never seen anything like it.

I was out of my mind with joy when they released a 30 foot long pig balloon with search lights for eyes. I kept expecting them to reel the pig back down, but after they did a lap of the amphitheater, they just cut that shit loose, and let it float off into the night. You could see the search light eyes fading into the distance like the directional lights on a 747. fucking crazy.

5 Likes

I’m disabled now so I almost never get to see live music anymore.
Last december a friend who works as a photographer for an indie record label was touring with a group called Twen who were opening for a show in my city at the Doug Fir Lounge. It wasn’t easy, but we got in touch with the venue and made arrangements to bring me in through an underground parking garage.

Everyone working at the venue was super chill and helpful. After watching the opener, it started to get hectic in the venue, so he and his buddies invited me back stage to the green room where we chilled and drank until the end of the show.

Super mellow.

7 Likes

My Senior Prom was at The Warfield. :sunglasses: Ba-bam!

Had to laugh at the next years’ class going to a boat or something much more normal.

:thinking: I’m tellin’ ya… the Carter Admin babies are a notch above the rest! :laughing:

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

haha nice, that must have been a blast. The warfield was always an excellent concert venue.

All of my major school functions were at Herbst Theater, where the United Nations Charter was signed in 1945, which was pretty cool.

3 Likes

best show was tears ago back in85 was home on leave from corps outdoor show the gogos blue oystercult joe perry project and another band that escapes my brain cell right now anyway it was the day after afriends wedding we had the usual assortment of adult party favors and beverages including 2 stoops at liqour stores on the way when we got there we had everything except some nose candy and wouldnt you know it as we parked a local pharmacist was right there then later that day we needed some phsycodelics and wouldnt you know didnt have enuf cash but as luck would have it i had y check book and yes mickey mouse signed the check for some mickey mouse ahhh yes the other band was blackfoot and let me tell you they rocked the show all out guitar jam including blowing and catching fire to the left side of the pa on the stage unforgetable weekend

6 Likes

Its AMAZING u talk about Fox theatre cuz Ive seen Modest Mouse and Grizzly Bear there and I LOVE that venue!

3 Likes

First concert that i remember attending was Metallica at Polaris Amplitheater when i was 10 years old. First festival i ever went to was hookahville at legends valley music center in thornville ohio when i was 18 or so. Attended many hookahvilles over the years. Lots of good dope and good music at those fests. Lol. Any Hookah heads in here?

2 Likes

sorry it want fox theatre it was an outside venue in new hampshire if i remeber correctly it was in epping or keene

2 Likes

Ahhhh, my bad… i was referring to the Fox Theater in Oakland California!

2 Likes

went with my older uncle to see Alice Cooper in early had to be '75 in Charlotte. I was only 7. my dad would have killed my uncle if he had found out, back then.
Alice had a rough reputation at that time.

regards,

5 Likes

Been there that similar situation dont remember much but im still alive 40 years later so i must have had a hell of a good time it was a DEAD SHOW FEZTIVAL some where in new york state thecadventure started out hitchhiking out of Maine headed south LOL

4 Likes

Good times my brother!!!

1 Like