Pest Identification? (Newb)

Newb here… im using Blue Sky Super Soil & Gaia Green Organic amendments (4-4-4 & 2-8-4) and ive noticed these tiny white worms in my water run off. looked at with Jewelers lens and does not resemble fungus gnat larvae… looks like “pot worms”

any ideas? and is this some thing i should be worried about / fight ?

Welcome To OG @birdo! Never seen that before, weird.

Welcome @birdo!

Where was this container, or the contents of the container before you got it?

I would strongly suggest a hot soapy water wash of containers before each use. Even if you don’t scrub them, the hot soapy water treatment will usually see these sorts of things down the drain.

I would also suggest you not wait to see how these guests develop. Can you separate them from your garden?

I would.

Quick Google Search found the ingredients.

Coconut Fiber, Composted Forest Material, Feather Meal, Fish Bone Meal, Guano, Gypsum, Greensand, Kelp Meal, Mycorrhizae, Non-GMO Alfalfa Meal, Organic pH Adjusters, Peat Moss, Perlite, Rock Dust, Rock Phosphate, Soybean Meal, Wormcastings.

Since I’m just guessing and not advocating letting those larva grow up just to see what they are, I’d say they’re some type of fly. More than likely the issue would be in their worm castings. It could be from low quality compost too though. If it’s not allowed to reach proper temps for a length of time.

You definitely don’t want them in your soil tho. I’d get some neem oil and yucca powder to water with for a little bit. It should do two things, suffocate the larva and protecting your roots so if they eat at them it gums up their mouths.

2 Likes

The quality of composts used in soil mixes is lacking greatly in most commercially mix soils. Since there’s no set standard for what can be defined as compost. Best thing to do would be to make your own compost and/or vermicompost and watch virtually all pest issues vanish.

1 Like

Do they kind of jump around when disturbed? I’m thinking they are springtails.

1 Like

@99PerCent - Thanks! all my stuff was brand new… Smart pots, Run off trays, and super soil purchased rite from the store… although i did not wash the pots before hand… i have been cleaning / draining run off water every day so kind of controlling them for now… it seems a few of my plants dont have nearly as many of these critters in the run off

@DavesNotHere - Thank you, this is alot of good information!!

@ReikoX - no they dont jump… the squirm like a worm … here are some extra close pics i got with my jewelers lens

closest thing on the net i can find is “pot worms”

1 Like

If your equipment was all new, does that mean that you brought them in with the soil?

1 Like

@99PerCent - it must be the soil because all are straight from seed …

“BlueSky Organics - Supersoil”

I’ll be going to see if my local shop has any idea

1 Like

Yep it’s from low quality compost.

would you like to know more?

5 Likes

I think they’ll be hard to ID in the larval stage.
I’d guess it’s some type of Mycetophilidae larvae.
Whatever it is, I would kill it with extreme prejudice. :gun: :knife:

Edit: upon further inspection, I concur with @DavesNotHere :point_up:

1 Like

I enjoyed this starship troopers reference even if nobody else did
its an ugly planet, a bug planet…

3 Likes

" The only good bug is a dead bug ! "
@gordongecko

3 Likes

I like to be informative and entertaining lol.

1 Like

after a little further inspection… could these be beneficial nematodes? the last thing i wanna do is get rid of something good! …

(also plants are showing no sign of poor health… very healthy!)
below are some pictures from the web:

2 Likes

I highly doubt it’s beneficial.that last pic is of a root feeding nematodes, you can tell from the ball and hook in its mouth. Definitely not beneficial lol

2 Likes

how’s the worm situation coming along? did you adjust the PH like suggested in that article and was it effective? creepy crawlies make me shudder i like to run a sterile grow environment! i could never do notill or true organics, megacrop is organic enough for me :smiley:

yea I played around with PH seems to dwindle in numbers but still a few in my run off … I keep my trays clean so it’s kind of keeping them at bay … but all plant life is healthy so far.

I have been in contact with the company and they are very interested . A test sample is being sent to a University for analysis and identification.

I may have to try megacrop next time around !

Hey guys!

I am posting this here to try and help a friend who grows on soil, he’s got pests problems i think. I believe this is not a deficiency, cos it would be more uniform throughout the entire plant so i dunno… Help!