What's the best method for flowering cannabis?

Ok so if dwc is one of the best methods for vegetating nugs, what’s the best way for flowering? Same system?

Other than changing the lighting schedule (and possibly the light itself), and the nutes in some cases, I think the vast majority of folks do veg and bloom in the same system. In fact, I have never heard of anyone switching mid grow.

As far as “best” - that is very dependent on the grower and his/her desires, needs, means, $$, time, experience, etc. Some people love soil some dont. Some love DWC in one form or another and some dont :slight_smile:

Based on my reading, Id say DWC is probably the most popular type of hydro, but thats not necessarily “best” for everyone.

For me personally, DWC is my last choice - but thats me :slight_smile:

As far as which makes the best buds and/or grows the biggest and/or the fastest - everyone has their favorite and swears by it. DWC is not the clear winner there. I personally think other systems that give the roots more O2 and less water (ebb/flow or any type of aero, NFT, or Meniscus) are “better”, but there are trade-offs for all the different systems.

4 Likes

Would you say the same thing for rdwc with no pumps?

And I know it sounds weird but I was just wondering cause if I do a 3 tent perpetual grow and have rdwc as my veg method and then transfer to a bigger tent I was wondering if there was a better method for flowering since I would be moving the plants anyhow? But if not just keep it rdwc grow 12 in veg for a month take them to flower tent for a month bring in another 12 and at that point I think if its gonna work I can keep harvesting every month?

Aeroponics crossed my mind but I’m n00b so idk how hard its be.

Dwc and rdwc are great methods but can be a giant pita for maintenance and I wouldn’t recommend it for a noob especially if your planning to move them tent to tent.
Have u considered just trying a simple soil or soilless ?

5 Likes

I feel like soil is gonna be a pain for a perpetual grow? I want to be able to harvest often me and my friends smoke a lot, and I mean a lot.

How do you do RDWC with no pumps? How do you circulate the nutes without a pump?

Im mostly still a noob too, but I have some experience and I read a LOT :slight_smile: I just finished my first hydro grow/experiment.

I’m working on building a new system now which will probably be low pressure Aero/NFT mix of some sort.

As far as moving plants from one tent to the next, I dont think you want to change the system. I think it would shock the plants too much. From what I have read, the plants roots develop differently depending on the ratio of air to water in the hydro system and how much time the roots spend under water or in the air.

With a system like DWC or RDWC part of the roots are always under water and part are always out of the water. Going from DWC to an aero or ebb/flow would be a radical change and I think it would stress the roots.

Thats a good point as far as moving things from one tent to another. Hempy buckets would be the simplest hydro I think that would also be easy to move.

Any type of hydro is also absolutely going to require decent PH and EC/PPM meters.

Guy on another thread said he used them for years and now he doesnt and they grow fine apparently, said the pressure from the waterfall is enough for the plants idk I’ve never tried. And I kinda thought something like that might not be good for roots but that’s why I asked.

And hempy just doesnt sound attractive I want something that’s gonna put out, need less maintenance, and is easy for perpetual I want top dog equipment.

Eventually I’m going to end up buying automatic controllers for nutes ph co2 and all that fun stuff I’m just gonna start with the basics and add every thing I can to make it better as I go.

1 Like

Not if you add extra perlite or something similar to your soil, I’ve been growing perpetual for 5yrs now (every day) and know soil isn’t for everyone, but I’d recommend you try soil (pro-mix or all mix etc.) you have a better chance of “getting to know what’s what” etc… you can recycle your soil too…
If you’re gonna go with the hydro just do that in your 3 tents, then there’s no major changes to plants etc…
Hopefully you’ll figure it out, and hempys ARE probably the simplest way for hydro ; as @Torontoke says above :arrow_up:

Good luck with your decision and hopefully your perpetual will be up n running soon…
Gaz

1 Like

Fulvic acid, amino acid. b-vit, molasses crystals 12/12 get a de humidifier for rdwc

Friends don’t let friends grow DWC or RDWC. You can also add UC systems to that list.

It’s gets no easier than EBB.

https://growershouse.com/flo-n-gro-system-w-oceanus-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp230&sc_intid=230&keyword=&gclid=CjwKCAjw1tDaBRAMEiwA0rYbSJPFJyfZbPjAx1aUwsTpYqB2y5xEBrjT6KA1XQDQJnL00JOzytZsWBoCKw8QAvD_BwE

Lots choose DWC because they think going in this is cheap. Then you find out temps are getting out of control and you need a chiller.

Fact is they are a germ factory and an issue waiting to happen. If it were the way to go commercial operations would be running them and no one does.

:my2cents:

3 Likes

Funny you say that, I switch from DWC to LOS because of everything you mentioned.

2 Likes

I really dont want to deal with soil period not at this time at least maybe some point in future. Ebb and flow was on my list but I read something about nutes getting left behind in pots and you gotta make sure they’re all washed out that’s why I turned to dwc cause it seemed like the right choice.

What’s LOS I cant find that?

Living Organic Soil or Recycled Living Organic Soil

If you read enough threads, you will see a trend. Lots more folks do DWC/RDWC, etc for the exact reasons @LED_Seedz mentioned above. Its the most popular system so more people see it talked about and THINK its the “best”. But 0 you will also see that they seem to heve the most issues with root rot, etc.

The aero folks have technical issues - especially the hi pressure and fog-ponics folks. Lots of technical challenges there and it gets more and more finicky as you go higher tech.

Ebb/Flow - Flood/Drain in all its variations, fall in the middle between DWC and aero and those folks seem to have the fewest issues from my reading. Well, the exception would be hempy buckets or similar systems. Those really are the least trouble and simplest and most reliable hydro systems.

I know they are not sexy - thats the ONLY reason Im not doing hempy :slight_smile: Well, actually I am doing hemy with two “extra” clones I had from my first hydro grow. I stuck two clones in small plastic buckets filled with perlite and stuck them in my bath tub and forgot about them. I water them when ever they get super droopy and they get very very little light - 14 watts screw in led on 24 hrs a day. The stupid things look GREAT and are bushy as heck. They are barely growing, which is exactly what I want for now. Im going to use them as mothers while I learn how to clone.

Point is - nothing is as simple or easy or reliable as hempy. Its just not sexy :slight_smile:

As far as nutes getting “left behind” that would tell me the nutes were not dissolving properly and were not suited for hydro use. That issue would apply to DWC or any other hydro setup just as much as Ebb/Flow. If you use crappy nutes, that dont dissolve, you will get crappy results.

There are a number of NFT setups that might be suitable for a beginner, but I think Ebb/Flow would be a better place to start than DWC for a newbie if you cant stand the thought of doing hempy :slight_smile:

3 Likes