Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

The treatment worked quite well – every plant in my house was treated, and after about 2 weeks, the gnats had entirely disappeared.

That said, I’m battling a new invasion 5 months later, but the treatment seems to be working once again. My previously-treated houseplants (the origin of the gnats last time around) appear to be gnat-free subsequent treatment… I’m not sure if that’s coincidence or if the BTI has colonized the soil.

2 Likes

This is a fungus gnat, and look at how he didn’t try to escape, it just sat there, knowing his time had come. Sticky traps are really good.

10 Likes

It looks as if it’s knee deep in goo! lil bastard!

4 Likes

Yeah right, i feel sorry for the little things they don’t know they are harming your plants, but what are you gonna do, they have to die!

2 Likes

Apparently there is a lot of hand wringing and teeth gnashing angst regarding fungus gnats. Off all of the pests that could infest a growers plants, FGs are relatively benign.

I don’t worry about annihilating the pesky bastards in totality.

I always use DE and loads of sticky traps from seedlings to ripe flowers on all of my indoor containers. That’s it.

Remember, that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

ETA:

BTW, I use these types of dusters/puffers to apply the DE to containers.
I also like to apply DE to the entire perimeter of my grow rooms… into the cracks and crevices between floor and walls with the pointy nozzle puffer type duster.

8 Likes

I am not very aggressive i think. I got the sticky traps, and whenever i catch a flyer i kill it immediately, but you never know.

2 Likes

Quite true. I think they can turn into a fairly serious issue, but you’d probably have to keep your soil consistently moist and have no pest management whatsoever. Even then, I couldn’t imagine they’d be capable of killing an adult plant.

More than anything, I just find flying buggers annoying, so I take steps to minimize their existence in my house :slight_smile:

I find your DE defensive perimeter intriguing, but wouldn’t do this myself. I have a good population of house centipedes that I’d like to keep around, as they’re supposedly good hunters. Hopefully they continue to stay away from the worm farm.

I’ve got a spare squirt-bottle, though – will most certainly give that a shot for dusting containers.

3 Likes

that’s funny, I think Eastern Mass. is the world capital of house centipedes - the big hairy ones! They love fieldstone foundations. I finally got away from them by moving to a poured-concrete foundation house.

They freak me out, big 3-inch ones get up on the walls at night, or jump up out of the floorboards. Or a huge one will be waiting for you in the ktichen sink in the morning, yuck

5 Likes

Noticed today that the tips of one of the lower leafs have turned a lighter shade of green why is this and is it something to worry about

what type of ladybug is used for pest management?? those dang asian ladybugs are swarming the house like they do in the fall so i’ve been catching them inside and putting them on my plants. will they eat gnats or thrips??? i haven’t seen either pest in a while but i figure it’s better to put the ladybugs in there than kill them (or let my cats kill them)

1 Like

http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/product.php?id=000000314

thanks for that. i think this species i have will work good. wikipedia said this “its voracious appetite enabling it to outcompete and even eat other ladybirds” these things are absolute pieces of shit, complete invasive pest, they also carry a parasite to which they are immune but can infect and kill other ladybugs

1 Like

Ladybugs he gave worked well for me in the past ate my invaders and moved on . As I understand it they will only go where there is something to eat. I endorse the use of lady bugs the is two pints of dormant in the cold ladybugs in my refrigerator.

I think I have fungus knats which apparently come in most soils will this get rid of them?

didn’t you already buy diatomaceous earth ?

3 Likes

Yeh I have been pest free for last couple of week hopefully that’s it sorted

1 Like

I had an increasing amount of these little bugs and well, i got me some BTI water and mixed it with AzaMax, and sprayed the whole works in the tent, and after that there were no more FG. I have seen like one or two since, so this morning the took on the same treatment. I think it’s doing wonders.

Very annoying bugs, while working on the plants and all…

1 Like

Do you guys think this will work for fungus gnats? I mean if it traps mosquitoes then it should get FGs don’t you think?

I have no idea. :grin:

1 Like

Or this…