Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

I swear the red vine vinegar really works. Def try it!

3 Likes

The little buggers like to enter the bottoms of the containers too.

Maybe the vinegar to catch em would help.

4 Likes

Yup they won’t even go by your plants after you put some down. They don’t all drown in it but you’ll see they lay all their eggs on the shot glass

1 Like

8 Likes

mosquito bits i believe, yes?

nematodes were effective for me but they need repeated application so i think it’s only economical if producing your own somehow. does anyone know how to breed nematodes?

for sand can’t it smother the soil by preventing oxygen getting to it? i imagine it wouldn’t be an issue for me with fabric pots but idk it seems like no one has a problem with it and it seems very effective. like gnat nix but cheaper. i tried using 2" of perlite but it didn’t really work

3 Likes

I have fungus gnats being born from a month ago and it is only days before harvest. I am turning the AC down at night and it seems to be killing them. I also put out tape traps.

4 Likes

My climate is special for the fungus gnat, I have had problems with this plague, I fight it with Bacillus thurigiensis var israelensis

3 Likes

I also use BTI (bits and dunks), but one has to be aggresive with them gnats, i do Potassium Soap Spray combined with AzaMax, and also sticky traps. Good thing that coco has no FG in it. Won’t be doing soil unless it’s outdoor. BTW, i drenched the media on the 5 gallon pots that the SLH are in

2 Likes

Si, si es una ventaja del coco, ademas que permite tener un rango de error aceptable, mejor aireación a las raíces por lo que permite tener plantas mas fuertes y grandes en contenedores pequeños trabaje con coco bastante tiempo, pero el que compraba acå siempre venía con un ph de 8 y era un dolor bajarlo, ahora solo estoy con orgånico, sabiéndolo hacer no hay sabor que se le compare. (no utilizo estiércoles de mamíferos tampoco).

Yes, if it is an advantage of the coconut, in addition to allowing an acceptable range of error, better aeration to the roots so it allows to have stronger and larger plants in small containers, work with coconut for a long time, but the one who bought here always came with a ph of 8 and it was a pain to lower it, now I’m only with organic, knowing how to make it there is no taste that compares it. (I do not use mammalian manures either).

2 Likes

Outdoors this ends with all insect the sucks sap (caterpillar too ), and the fungus gnat not arrima either.

5 Likes

Love my garden guards.

8 Likes

@99PerCent, They are incredible in the biological control of pests, I love them too. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Yes, pollution free!

:spider:

99%

1 Like

Look at this, my little army ready to attack, it just broke. @99PerCent

9 Likes

it’s just like Charlotte’s web! little buddies

3 Likes

i had a FG issue with my coco but not until like 2 months in to the plants life so i don’t think they were present when i purchased the coco, fungus gnats just seem to appear out of no where as soon as conditions are favourable for them, like fruit flies appear from nowhere if you leave some fruit out 
 i tried watering every day for 4 or 5 days in a row and they just appeared so i started allowing it to dry out a bit again

7 Likes

Nematodes kicked the fungus gnats’ asses! That and a neem meal and kelp tea have kept them under control for me.

2 Likes

Yes you can get FG from Coco. I wish they didn’t have them. Maybe the expense bagged ones don’t.

1 Like

I have no empirical evidence to support my anecdotal, but using LAB seemed to get rid of 99% of my fungus gnats. No pun intended. :grin: It could be bacteria affecting their digestion. Or maybe the LAB kicked the predators into overdrive.

2 Likes