Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

What are safest ways to treat fungus gnats in soil

Look up Gnatrol on Amazon or Ebay?

2 Likes

Hi @Williamb8790 I moved your thread/ post/question to a voluminous pre-existing thread which should provide you with various effective, safe solutions for those pesky fungus gnats.
Good luck!

5 Likes

Ive been lucky with the FGnats thus far out here in CO but have battled them when in NOLA. Iā€™ve only spotted them once and they were found dead on the sticky traps pretty soon there after. DE and a neem mix is good. The DE is like micro glass and when the larvae crawl over it, the DE shreds their bodies apart leaving a trail of guts for your plants to feast on. Either way, Iā€™m always releasing 1500 lady bugs in my garden about every 60-90 days. Only reason I re release them is bc after a while they just die off and leave bc there is nothing for them to eat in my garden. Lady bugs work great as a preventative for things like FG and spider mites. But Iā€™ve never found lady bugs to be a cure, more a preventative measure than anything else. With packs of 1500 lady bugs for $7-$15 on amazon, you really canā€™t beat the price when it means having a clean crop. I wouldnā€™t doubt the CO2 I run in my garden helps prevent bugs as well as it just isnā€™t an optimal environment for anything to live, aside from plants.

4 Likes

i had a few fungus gnats flying around for a while but my temperatures dropped to around 60-65 for a week and i havenā€™t seen any sinceā€¦ crossing my fingers theyre done

2 Likes

Diatomaceous earth works for me. It is available at tractor supply. Over in the feed area. Food grade. I Put it into a half gal mason jar. Then with a large spoon I scoop it out and sprinkle over the top of the medium. I grow in coco so maybe thats why it works better for me? about a 1/8th inch dusting across the entire top when the top of your medium is dry. Then let that sit 24-48 hours without watering. You will still see those fuckers for about 3-4 days but they will slowly die off.

5 Likes

Welcome to the party @godspeed! :grin:

3 Likes

i found a process for rearing your own S feltiae nematodes. it seems like a simple process but this doesnā€™t give any indication how many it will create. going to keep looking

6 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

You have me wanting to order a couple of those monsters.

http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/product.php?id=000000302

2 Likes

interesting Cornell study

4 Likes

i successfully used this as a mulch layer. it will grow some fungal hyphae (i think). and it will work in a couple of weeks.

my new technique is trying to make a drench from safer BT caterpillar spray, but iā€™m working blindly with it. better than spraying down the surface right?
have considered brewing some up with moe-lassey.

anybody make their own sticky-traps? success? buying them retail is crazy.
my tanglefoot on a neon card doesnā€™t seem to have the same attraction.

thanks

c.s

pretty sure caterpillar spray is BTk which doesnā€™t work on fungas gnats, might want to double check, BTi is the one you need

for making your own sticky traps you can use petroleum jelly liberally on yellow or orange note cards or construction paper. or if you have it on hand you could use rubber cement brushed on liberally, although that would be 2nd choice due to the fumes

3 Likes

Correct on the BTiā€¦

It worked! :slight_smile: I was going to add that bit with my update, but there we have it. It took about the same time as the MosquitoBits/BTiā€¦about 2 weeks, a week more and I expect none, but weā€™ll see. The cost advantage is pretty clear for me: 20$ for bits covers a couple/few plants(way too $$), and the Safer Caterpillar Spray, I use anyway. I believe I dosed it at the same rate as the spray.

:evergreen_tree:
c.s

2 Likes

Water less, let them dry out as much as you can without killing the plants. After put an inch or two of sand as a top soil. This will stop any gnats in the soil from getting to the surface.
You can also use diatomaceous earth food grade, this will kill many bugs and is safe for humans so long as you arent huffing the stuff. It cuts their exoskeletons and they dry out and die of dehydration.You c line your yard with tis stuff to kill any and all bugs that want to cross that line of death
If i had pots with a few holes on the bottom i would temporarily tape them to stop adult gnats from getting in through the bottom.
Killing adult gnats flying around with your hands when you can, clapping, helps also.It adds up eventually with all your other traps.
Also yellow sticky paper, gnats are attracted to Yellow color
You could make a home made natural trap of apple vinegar and water simply in a bowl, they will drown in it.

Fungus Gnats generally do the most damage to clones and seedlings. Generally adult plants can soldier through a gnat infestion, but fresh clones and especially seedlings can be decimated by them

2 Likes

Got a pretty bad infestation going on. Bought some of this today going to give it a whirl. Iā€™ll report back.

3 Likes

oh no! they jacked my Natty Dread! :bug: :wink:

:evergreen_tree:

https://overgrow.com/t/gnatty-dread-the-final-solution-skull-crossbones-bug/10500

1 Like

Haha yeah I read your post earlier in the day, I wanted some immediate. Plus this cost only 14$ and itā€™s highly concentrated

1 Like