Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

You’ve obviously never watched rastamouse LC :rofl:

And you perforated my eardrums with that shite this early

the biggest limitation with mosquito dunks/bits is how slowly they dissolve, this liquid solution might be more effective

3 Likes

i think the dunks are >designed< to dissolve slowly, the bit’s are just cork waste (so i read), impregnated, inoculated, whateverated…

i’m totally happy with the results. would make any genocidal maniac proud. :upside_down:

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

thats good then, i heard they dont work very well at all, at least not on their own, that’s why i never bothered with them, i have used nematodes with great success though. i also heard an h2o2 solution will work good

3 Likes

The Aquabac looks cool, I wish someone would buy the jugs and break them up into pints for us. The liquid version of Gnatrol seemed to work better than powder.

1 Like

When i got gnats in soil last time, i had a real pest problem. I used dunks and bits, dunks in the water for feeding, bits on the surface of the soil, and then also BTI water combined with Azamax as foliar and sticky traps too. Tought little things huh!

Whenever i could i would spray them with potassium soap and they would burn! It’s efective.

4 Likes

And it was a good thing you pointed it out. That way it can be united for more info on the subject so that means more prople will have it readily to access.

Hope it’s ok bro!?

2 Likes

Absolutely. Helps me understand how to be a Jedi Moderator some day. :nerd:

1 Like

After using the microbe lift 2 nights ago I have seen a major drop in the infestation. I’m not associated at all with this company but damn my plants were prayin’ like I’ve never seen before after using this stuff. Couldn’t be more pleased. Thinking about adding some when I make my compost teas.

3 Likes

I had a pretty bad root rot/gnat infestation a few months back. Plants were yellowing, wilting and dying. As a budget grower I was limited in my options but I managed to not only stop them, but almost eliminate them all overnight.

I got my hands on some 30% H2O2 and mixed it 1:30 with in a 7L watering pail and then something called Gnatnix which is if I’m not mistaken just ground sea shells that are very sharp and slice up larvae as they emerge from the surface of your growing medium and I put about a 1’’ layer of it on the topsoil of my 8 plants then watered with my 1% H202 solution. Also I sprayed 3% H2O2 on the exposed roots of the plant.

The next day the plants were perking back up and there were way less adults flying around. The day after that there were next to none until it was all gone.

It saved my crop tbh because 90% of the leaves were bright bright yellow but next day the color was coming back and they all got their color back.

My pythium/root rot came from over watering and improper drainage so I’ve at least learned half of that lesson but am still struggling to get adequate drainage in my medium. I also recommend always having some sort of sticky trap or fly tape in your room to serve as early detection, although they are not going to solve your problem, at least you’ll know for sure they are there.

Hope this helps any of those struggling to fight these things on a budget, total cost was about $35CAD.

6 Likes

Follow up on the microbe lift. The stuff works awesome! 2 applications and the infestation is gone. Couple gnats flying around but it is 99% percent cleared up. I did 2 drops per gallon. A little goes a long way.

9 Likes

These safe to use???
Rather ask then be to late😁

6 Likes

I don’t see why not. It looks to be a sticky tape trap.

6 Likes

I bought a pack of those a few weeks ago. They work, but the yellow ones work better for me - catch more bugs.

6 Likes

Thanks guys, didn’t know if it realised poison or not raid tends to do that

3 Likes

I don’'t think those traps have an insecticide. Just sticky stuff colored to attract insects.

SDS:
f483aa04-80c7-41bd-b026-dd5588bc7102.pdf (275.1 KB)

4 Likes

Ya it says on there its not classified as hazardous , which means there going up asap lol

5 Likes

Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

…MORE GNATS of course!

:joy: j/k

1 Like

I wasn’t paying attention and was over-watering some thyme in containers. In came the fungus gnats into the greenhouse. I already had some mosquito bits in the planters and added more. Wasn’t helping. I don’t know if the bits were expired but they didn’t really help my situation.

Just tried the Microbe-Lift BMC which is a solution and it seems to work well. Going on several weeks and no sign of gnats. (same stuff as hewhocoruptz mentioned):

Same active ingredient as the mosquito bits but it’s a direct application to the soil.

You do not need much at all. Don’t overbuy and get the large quantity unless you really need that much.

Edit: I should mention that this product is labeled for the control of mosquitoes in water features. As such, there probably should be some research into the dosage amounts for usage outside of the label.

10 Likes

Heck yeah! My plants really seemed to love the stuff too.

1 Like