Whats the best way to get rid of fungus gnats?

Mosquito dunks were 12$ for 6 of em.

(since iā€™m cheap/frugal/poor) maybe same some for ā€œcloningā€ a la my recipe? couldnā€™t hurt if you have a jug & some sugar/molassesā€¦

ā€œā€¦the tide is turning!..ā€ :ocean:
:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Do you mean save some for you to use with your recipe instead of the dunks?

1 Like

yep. it probably only takes a small amount to ā€œseedā€ your brew, let the simple-sugar/water be their home for a few days. itā€™ll cost you almost nothing & canā€™t hurt, imo. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Right on. Man my plants loved the stuff. I checked them when I got home from work this morning and dang were they praying to the sky! Iā€™ll probably add a couple drops next time I brew a compost tea also.

Got @gnats ?

Fungus Gnat soil treatment - Gnatty Dread

1 gal dechlorinated, warm water
1 tsp molasses
1.5 cup ā€˜Mosquito Bitsā€™

Combine in gallon jug & shake vigorously several times over 24-36hrs, keep unsealed in room-temp., dark.
Filter out mosquito bits with sieve(use outdoors or on houseplants)
Mix resulting brown STINKY funk with water 1:1, apply to soil surface thoroughly after normal watering or between waterings.

This is done in addition to light soil surface covering/mulch with the Bits.

I did this and went from Gnat-city to almost zero Gnat-tivity in just a few days. DRASTIC DIE-OFF. I :heart_eyes: love it.

My previous application of just the Bits themselves has required 3x as much time at least(typically see same results after 2 weeks).

:tophat: :evergreen_tree:
c.s

7 Likes

Makes sense, basically propagating the BTi bacteria to make it more potent. Nematodes and predator mites get the job done for me.

4 Likes

do you think the molasses is suffocating the live ones?

i canā€™t find mosquito bits in canada, just the dunks, and i donā€™t want to have to smash em up myself. i just keep 1-2 inch layer of perlite on top of my soil to prevent them from getting down to lay their eggs.

4 Likes

A glass jar with some apple cider vinegar and drop of dish detergent, cover the top of the jar with tin foil and poke holes with a fork. Once they enter they never leave.

6 Likes

better than the ā€œstickyā€ trap, you say? :wink: now iā€™m out of gnats. dang.

ā€¦interesting:

ā€¦ iā€™d never thought of perlite as a ā€œmulchā€ indoors. it usually works itā€™s way up when i water to quick. i have thought to use a 2" bottom layer in a fabric-pot & see what happens.

1 Like

(i put the molasses in to create a bacteria population explosion)
that bacteria was hungry after a day or so and just raped the containers. it was weird to see so many dying gnats struggling. i knew they were infected when they couldnā€™t fly! muahaha :dagger:

1 Like

I hear an 1" or 2 of sand works great. Home Depot sells a 50 lbs bag (more than youā€™ll ever need) of Play Sand for about $4. Use the washed and screened play sand.

3 Likes

Want to be loved by everyone on Overgrow?

Adopt @fungusgnat as your user name. I would never leave you alone, :laughing:

3 Likes

Iā€™v done sand on the top with great success!

1 Like

My wifeā€™s been doing that for years. It works too!

Iā€™ve always watered my plants by lifting the pot to gauge the weight. So it would be important to note the additional weight of the sand if you happen to use the same primitive method.

2 Likes

Love the idea. But irie man. That name gnatty dread is quality :grin:

dreadgnat, itā€™s a new metal band :joy:

edit: lol i forgot its a local band, sry bad joke :smiley:

1 Like