What's your Favorite Living Soil Recipes?

Yep, grind it up and water it in. Be careful though, ive burned plants doing this. It just kicks everything into high gear.

8 Likes

I think this video would be best appreciated in this thread

6 Likes

Kick ass bery nice im in the process ofbturning the garage part of my toy hauler into a grow room built in wiring etc plus central av and heat if needed

1 Like

Not to mention dryer type venting to let exhaust out and fresh air in

1 Like

This is super cool, any more information or threads on the psilocybin mycelium?

1 Like

Here’s the major thread on mushrooms.

To make the living soil, you can use spent cakes from grows, or you can add fresh spawn and grow your living soil. You sort of have to get basic shroom growing down first, because getting the mycelium growing, uncontaminated takes a base level of familiarity.

I would make spawn jars, and then colonize a bunch of coir, then add the colonized spawn/coir combo to your soil and then let it take over the soil. You want carbohydrate in the soil, lots of it for the mycelium, but not so much that your plants get too many nutrients. I err on the slide of too little. You can always add stuff later.

4 Likes

Cool, I was just reading an article on growing it and one thing I’m not sure about is the part you mentioned, once you grow steril cakes with coir, when you mix it into the soil, would you first have to make the soil sterile?

2 Likes

That’s the beauty of it; after you move the cakes to the soil you provide the conditions in which psilocybe mycelium flourish, then, they out-compete other fungi. You can pasteurize the soil, but it isn’t necessary. If the conditions are right, and the mycelium is established, there isn’t much that can beat it out, provided the soil isn’t too carbohydrate heavy and it’s not too warm.

5 Likes

You the man! Nice to meet ya! I agree , I grew my own mushroom blocks as well (oysters) they were dense back in the day ! I think its cool that little mushrooms pop up in my soil mixes at times . Matter of fact my interest in mycology has improved me tremendously as a grower! It was Paul Staments “ Running with mycelium” that really propelled me forward into the next stages Of it all !

5 Likes

I had a similar idea. I was thinking about cubensis as well, but now I’m closer to the idea of ​​starting a King stropharia. It has been proven to be an excellent partner in growing vegetables, catching and eating root-eating nematodes, enriching co2 … But I have doubts about watering. Perhaps some kind of plant irrigation system would be a good idea. And manually regulate the moisture of the mycelium. It is more resistant to light and the mycelium will expand as much as food is added to it. In this case it is straw. It is immediately mulched…

3 Likes

What do you think about pinto bean compost as well?

3 Likes

That’s a new one to me.
if you’re talking about grinding up dried pinto beans for mulch as an enzyme treatment, similar to the malted barley technique, that application would work.

4 Likes

I don’t know much about it, but I know Buildasoil has some pinto compost as part of one of their composts

3 Likes

Beans and seeds contain enzymes and plant hormones which are beneficial, but these compounds break down in the composting process. In this application that would be a source of green matter for the compost, I imagine the outcome would be similar to compost made from other nutrient rich crop residuals. buying it from organic produce farms is probably a good way for them to get certified organic green matter for use in their compost.

basically, sounds fine, but don’t pay extra for it.

1 Like

Now that I think about it, they were probably inspired by the traditional “three sisters” agricultural technique of cultivating beans, squash, and corn in the same plot of soil.

Here is a good book on that subject, if anybody wants to do some really in depth study on the traditional three sisters method, which in modern terms would be considered a form of permaculture or regenerative agriculture. The three sisters technique works over a course of years in a no-till plot, each crop fixes a different set of nutrients and feeds the others in turn.

In order to really see the unique benefits of the three sisters approach, you would need to actually practice this technique yourself in a no-till plot.

So again, in this buildasoil compost, the pinto beans are really just a source of green matter, very similar to using any other nutrient rich crop residuals. Fine, but not worth paying extra for.

edit- I’ll snap a picture of that book I mentioned and add it to the post shortly.

edit 2 years later- the book is “Permaculture: Principles and Pathways Beyond Sustainability” by David Holmgren.

shoutout @cannabissequoia for the reminder

quick review-
(I read the practical stuff about permaculture technique, and that was informative for me.
it is more focused on farming than gardening. it doesn’t have much about adapting these techniques for use in an existing garden.
there is probably a more concise book about permaculture out there.
I skipped a lot of chapters that strayed off topic to discussions about the sustainability of industrial farming and other stuff.)

4 Likes

:coffin: BUMP! :skull:

:yawning_face:

So I’ve got no dirt. :unamused: It’s a big giant rock where I live & I’m trying to figure out what to build some dirt with. Haven’t checked the materials yards yet.

Importing stuff seems dumb & costly.

Have been considering emailing Jeremy at BuildASoil & Dragonfly Earth Medicine to get some advice…

@ Hawaii growers?

:evergreen_tree:

1 Like

thank you for taking time to write this very complete list down in one place. i have a lot of print outs with this information you mentioned here. i am always like where is this page or that page, where did i set it down? check everywhere? where the heck did i find that info on line? i just finished printing your post to be laminated for easy use, and to put an end to my paper pile shuffle. hide & seek. great work and post! :pray: :man_student: :peace_symbol:

3 Likes

I still use what BOG taught me

1 bag walmart brand potting soil
1 bag perlite
1 bag vermiculite
1 cup blood meal
1 cup bone meal
Mix well.

Works great. BOG was awesome.

3 Likes

A friend recommended me a cheap organic pelletized fertilizer, so please advise.

N (total nitrogen) 5 %
P205 (phosphorus pentoxide) 3%,
K20 (potassium oxide) 3%,
CaO (calcium oxide) 9%,
MgO (magnesium oxide) 2%,
Endomycorrhizal fungi: Claroideoglomus etunicatum, Rhizophagus intraradices, Claroideoglomus claroideum – 10 cm3 per 1 kg,
leonardite with high-quality humic and fulvic acid 6 g/1kg
potassium humate 0.5%.
Dry matter higher than 90%

I would mix a light peat substrate, perlite, wormcasting and this fertilizer

If someone can recommend the quantities I need.

I also have barley malt, some liquid with beneficial bacteria, aloe growing in the yard…

I would try that on two plants, so if it works…
Thank you

2 Likes

Looks good, especially with all the fungal amendments already in it.

Not sure what amounts you mean.

For soil I would go Peat moss at around 50% Perlite 15% worm cast 15% and normally I would use 20% compost of either sheep or cow manure.

Then when that soil starts to deplete in nutrients add your fertilizer at what is recommended on the lable.

You could just use peat moss, worm cast and perlite and increase the amounts of peat moss, but not sure how much ferts you could add.

2 Likes