What's your Favorite Living Soil Recipes?

Vermicompost is mostly humic acids (fulvic acid is a fraction of humic acid). I do love my Bioag Ful-Power (fulvic acid) though. It’s the only bottle I buy for my no-till grows.

8 Likes

Where do I read about this Lucas formula? Any websites I can check out?

2 Likes

Unfortunately it’s not organic but there should be plenty with just a google search, but here is a basic run down.

If you Maxi-bloom It’s basically 7 grams per gallon of water right the way through. If I use this alone, this puts my water bang on 5.8 and I don’t even have to check it. It works fine, but I do get better results with additives I mentioned earlier. That said, I have seen MANY full grows using 7 grams per gallon of MB from start to finish with hardly any nutrient issues. A few plants want more nitrogen, if so just add a bit of calcium nitrate.

5 Likes

I’m not being ignorant in this conversation @cannabissequoia @slain I’m literally trying to absorb all the information being presented here. Still breaking new ground for me.

Ordering the living soil book you linked there big :evergreen_tree: man. Thank you I imagine that will make for good reading and is also worthy of joining our other slightly odd book collection lol

4 Likes

These guys are selling product so you need to read it with that in mind but this is a great resource if you are interested in living soils. It’s awesome to see this stuff being used in broad acre cropping.

3 Likes

I’m definitely interested in living soils but today my work consists of 14 tonnes of top soil shifting. So I’ll have a read this evening brother :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

:astonished: I’d recommend it with some hesitation-- it’s very academic and translated from Frenchaise :fr: and has humor in the side-bar notes. It is very dense reading but also had a lot of new info to me… it’s fairly “hardcore” :blush:

The Table of Contents (via amazon ‘look inside’) is pretty inviting. heheh

But :thumbsup: anyway. I hope it wasn’t outrageously expensive like a 'uni textbook :moneybag:.

:evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Just out of curiosity…Do you think No-till, could work well on a hundred lite’s? I am planning on trying it out in my Grow Trailer (8 lite’s), before I attempt it on such a large scale. I am asking, because you have what seems to be a bit of experience with it. And I value what experience you have with the set-up. Thanks in advance Buddy!

1 Like

I couldn’t answer that. I have experience with a single15-gallon no-till bed. Never run a multi-light grow.

3 Likes

@Kobracom420 I to have been looking at running a no-till in a grow trailer and the only thing I have been seeing as a hold up is plant size. I originally thought I could do racks, but I don’t think transferring/upsizing will work well with no-till. Now I’m thinking of 3 100 gallon air pots on one porting of the trailer for large plants and a rack with 2 shelves for smaller/auto plants.

How were you thinking to do the setup?

1 Like

I am thinking of using the Master’s (Soma) bed set up :

On a larger scale of course…I will be making them fit stationary, and a very narrow walkway haha. I will tilt my trailer on a slight angle to the back, where I already have a drain. I plan on growing one donkey Dick per plant, and compact the 1 Gal pot transplants, close together. Maybe a weeks veg? I will be posting a pic of the trailer grow soon. How many lites is your trailer?

Regards,

K.

1 Like

Roger that…I figured it may have been a long shot. I have not heard of anyone doing indoor No-Till, on a large scale before. If you ever do see anyone who has, please shoot me a link? It would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

K.

Well @ReikoX has pretty much the same thing.but I think this is probably the source for his perhaps.

His schedute of watering is different though.

Also the mineral dust recommended these days is basalt rock dust due to higher cation ratios of minerals in solution and higher solubility of the basalt versus other rock dust amendments…

There is a lot of argument over aeration amendments on the web. Rice hulls are often used as a cheap source of aeration that when it breaks down will provide added potassium. But when it breaks down it will lose any aeration structure it provided. Rice hulls are cheap and carried at the same brewery supply houses malted barley is. It can be added as mulch. My opinion if you have worms or other organisms they will provide some aeration. But we want something permanent and adding some porous material that won’t break down is a good idea and I don’t really care for perlite since it floats.
The current recommendation from that soil recipe on GCF is lava rock screened to remove large stones.

I have used his soil as a guide when making my own ‘water only’ and it is what I grow in now. I also have a composting bin and hope to soon have worms making vermicompost from it.

4 Likes

My recipe/mix comes from Bluejayway’s notill threads on grasscity. Mind you the watering schedule is a guide at best, often I just brew up whatever I feel in the mood for. :smiling_imp:

2 Likes

You might want to check out Brownguy420 on YouTube. He did a large greenhouse grow. Most of the large scale stuff I’ve seen is done under the sun.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have seen his content before, but something seemed to have happened to the show? I have not seen any new content from him, for a long tome.

But thanks for the info regardless.

Edit: I forgot to show you this indoor No-Till set-up : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9nkA0PV9h0

Regards,

K.

1 Like

yeah…there are a lot of threads in that particular link since it is a compilation of threads and links that are useful. There is a lot of information just in the link I gave without going into the links below. Most of those threads I browse and try and grok the first 50 pages minus the garbage. There is a lot of both.Though even the off topic stuff can ‘larn ya’ I never knew malted barley powder could help make bread better. The stuff is almost magical.

1 Like

My current setup only has 9 lights, it’s a small trailer. So in this setup all sides are plastic, no air going through the roots?

Nice…I like small trailers, they are not noticeable.
Yes, wooden sides and bottom, lined with plastic. The roots get oxygen from underneath (Pumice layer) through the PVC pipes, in the corner of the beds…

Edit: I am sure you could use the fabric, those pots are made out of. Use it for the walls, and that would allow air through the sides, and the bottom. It would also eliminate the plastic on the walls.

3 Likes

Even with my felt pots there is an gap under the pot. I just lay a couple short flat pieces of trim under the felt pot and the whole mess sits in one of those plastic trays. This allows the whole thing to breathe. and it’s mostly a dry pan. I don’t see that happening in that trailer as you guys have it.