What's your organic soil recipe?

It would be interesting to see amounts of each ingredient in order to try and do the same, maybe one day!

2 Likes

Amounts? Measuring? What are these strange words you speak of.

Edit: Dumb joke but i am easily amused. Ha! Ha!

6 Likes

If you cant find everything for notill this mix has over triple the inputsXD

2 Likes

Ainā€™t nothin like the Alpine Oatmeal!

Reason for oatmeal is to have
A)something for the 500 worms I threw in the mix to eat
B) breaks down into good carbs and also food for the beneficial bacteria to feed on and break down

Itā€™s truly a living/crawling soil!

11 Likes

Didnā€™t i tell you! Itā€™s the bomb my man! LOL

2 Likes

wow any glacial rock dust or anything ?? i wonder how great moon rock dust would be ??

7 Likes

Hello, I drive the third round in this, I just bought compost and spagnum in Lowes https://buildasoil.com/products/the-clackamas-kit I just pour tea compost, I have no problem,

4 Likes

Does anyone have experience with this mix?

2 Likes

The coot recipe is the staple for most notill gardens. But the man himself does ROLS

2 Likes

Tea: Nettle, Comfrey root, Watercress, Yarrow leaf, Aloe vera is worm casting and melasses

3 Likes

Ok @lotus710 u got me stumped what in the hell is ROLS? I feel I should know this!

2 Likes

Recycled organic living soil. You use mainly water with some teas and you empty your pot and reamend every cycle.

3 Likes

@Tinytuttle ā€” all your go-tos are on High Times mix list. :slight_smile:

Helpful Amendments
(Quantities listed are per 9 to 12 cubic feet of soil)
Fish bone meal, 5 lbs.
Blood meal, 5 lbs.
Alfalfa meal, 3 lbs.
Neem seed meal, 2 lbs.
Feather meal, 3 lbs.
Green sand, 2 to 3 lbs.
Fish meal (for veg), 1 to 2 lbs.
Soybean meal (for veg), 3 lbs.
Kelp meal, 3 lbs.
Rock phosphate, 3 lbs.
Bark mulch, 2 lbs.
Indonesian bat guano (for bloom), 5 lbs. Mexican bat guano (for veg), 5 lbs. Earthworm castings, 15 to 20 lbs. Epsom salt, 1/2 cup
Powdered mycorrhizae, 1/2 cup Granular humic acids, 1/8 cup
Dolomite lime, 1/2 cup
Azomite, 3/4 cup

2 Likes

That makes no sense. Clay doesnā€™t ā€˜turn right into aluminumā€™ after any cycle. azomite is all minerals straight from a mineral source. People and animals all over the world eat azomite and the company sells it as an immune booster for livestock. Health advocate Sally Fallon lists it as a superfood in the bestselling book ā€˜Nourishing Traditionsā€™. She explains that the alumina in azomite is not biologically available. It is bound to the silica and is an ā€œaluminosilicateā€. Silica counteracts metals. People and animals have been eating clay and dirt for health for thousands of years and all clay contains non-bioavailable aluminum and silica.

5 Likes

R.I.P Vic High, he will be missed. His techniques and recipes helped set the organic game apart.

3 Likes

Big fan of this stuff also Iā€™m my mix

Great non chemmy non potassium silicate Silica product

Trying to find out the actual chemical make up of the Silica though and canā€™t find it. Itā€™s the sand from this gold mine in New Mexico I think

Testing this mix next run:

1/2 cup per cubic foot:

Langbeinite - K, Mag, Sulph,
Alfalfa meal - npk etc
Granular humid acids - chelator
Fish bone meal - N,P, CA
Kelp meal - npk, micros, hormones etc
Crab meal - npk, Ca, mag, chitin, microbial food
Azomite - minerals and trace elements

Rock phosphate - P, Ca - 1.5 cups per cubic foot.

Bio char approximately 10% volume

Worm casting approximately 10% volume

Beneficial ( great white, mammoth, recharge, or og bio war)

Pretty much water w/ occasionally adding mammoth and molasses.
In veg Iā€™m feeding a diluted mix liquid kelp and fish emulsion.
I run recycled organic living soil I guessā€¦ and I change up amendments every time I need to add more.

4 Likes

The issue with Azomite and aluminum has to do with the application of fulvic acids and alginic acids (from kelp) which chleate the heavy metals allowing the plant to uptake them. Since cannabis is a dynamic accumulator, it has the capability of up taking and storing these heavy metals. The heavy metals are not a huge issue for oral consumption, but have the potential to release toxic compounds when combusted.

8 Likes

That makes zero sense. All plants can take up metals. Not just cannabis, which is why farmerā€™s markets in NYC often serve up lead-tainted produce. Trace minerals are always beneficial (Liebegā€™s Law Carl Sprengel). Azomite is primarily silica and has been used in biodynamic agriculture since the 1940s. There are ten years worth of posts about it on this Grasscity thread: https://forum.grasscity.com/threads/you-to-should-use-azomite.300879/

3 Likes

Im just sharing what I learned from Clackamas Coots regarding the aluminum in Azomite. Im not bashing Azomite, I think rock dusts are very important in soil recipes. I use basalt and glacial rock dust personally.

8 Likes