When do you consider day 1 of flower?

That’s what I am saying!

Breeders recommendations are just that, “recommendations”.

3 Likes

When the lights are first flipped to 12/12 the plants go into stretch mode first , not flowering : ) the grower maybe in flower mode but the plant is not : )

2 Likes

Day 0 is the day that ends with the timer shortened. Flower day 1 for me is the next morning, the first morning after 12 hours of dark.

That usually means day 60-70 I harvest.

I don’t usually flip plants that aren’t sexually mature, so for the most part they’re already showing preflowers when I change the lights.

6 Likes

Me too. Mainly so I can make my selections before commiting.

4 Likes

The length of time for plant to show pre flowers is also another rough guide tool to be used when comparing phenos of the same strain : )

2 Likes

For example, today is Day 0 for my current grow log of seeds I popped on January 8th, so for me the plants almost always leap right into bract production while stretching.

2 Likes

I count from the day I flip lights…

The problem I have with counting from when they start forming buds is this

Sour bubble is really slow to show sex and start forming buds, but is also a quick finisher.
She may take 2 to 3 weeks to start producing buds, then finishes in 56 days from flip. Counting from first buds, she’s a 5weeks strain ? Nah

A 20 week haze can take 6-8 weeks to show bud formation, I couldn’t call that an 11weeks strain.

7 Likes

I’m a hobby breeder and I say that the day you flip to 12/12 is correct. And counting the number of flowering days only counts in strong lighting, wek lighting takes longer. If you defoliate a lot it causes it to go an extra couple of days.

1 Like

Hobby or industry growing, day 1 of flower is the first day after 12 hours of darkness. Most strains I’ve grown are 8-9 weekers and if people go by week 2-3 when they show buds, means that those strains would be 5-6 week flowers which obviously isn’t true in any grow.

Standard is day 1 of flower is the first day after 12 hours of darkness. I understand why people want to consider the first day they have a bud is day 1 of flowering but it’s wrong… Flowering period isn’t only what the naked eye can see.

4 Likes

If it’s by when the first buds start showing, does that mean the plants will take longer to finish if I don’t wear my glasses when I’m looking at them?

3 Likes

The next related question is , do you start bloom feed at flip or after stretch ???

3 Likes

I usually go
Week1 after flip, veg nutes
Week2 veg nutes
Week3 half n half
Week4 bloom nutes

5 Likes

Sometimes I’ll go half veg half bloom and sometimes I’ll just do veg until I see early signs of deficiency and then switch to bloom.

2 Likes

I’m always feeding for both bloom and veg, since I’m top-dressing and just let the plants decide what they want themselves. :wink: I do give them supplemental nitrogen during the first two weeks of flower, but I don’t decide that it’s not flower based on that… they stretch and start growing buds simultaneously.

3 Likes

Personally I call the first 7 days after flipping to 12/12 as “Transitioning Week”. I keep feeding veg nutes and then on day 7 it officially becomes Flower week 1.

6 Likes

Days to finish is a suggestion, I don’t count on it being accurate. I harvest when the plant is showing me it’s done. Pistils browned and pulled in, leaves looking autumnal, buds swollen. Pull some tester buds and see how you like it.
I have chopped half a plant when it seemed done, but left the balance to basically die on the stem weeks later, pulling testers along the way. Learn by doing etc.

3 Likes

I switch to bloom feed when flowering shows : )

1 Like

A word on breeders recommended flowering times.

I always took breeders recommendations to mean “commercially ready”. A golden standard, lol. And in some ways it is, they’ll look such and such at x time.

Now if you prefer to cut at 40% amber it will definitely take longer. Not sure how offsetting preferences with the unstandardized “from buds” which could mean 3days or 60 days, is helping haha. To each their own :yum:

2 Likes

As stated above, when you switch to 12/12, that’s the beginning of flowering. But you can’t ignore the stretch. Veg nutes for the first week or even two weeks. Gradually introduce flowering ferts to the plants after that.

1 Like

No this is not why I ask this question.
I know that days of flower to harvest is just a breeders recommendation.
And I also base my harvest on when the plant tells me it ready wether the breeders says 8 weeks or 10 weeks
I ask because everyone has different thoughts about this and I’m just trying to pick everyone’s brains on why you do and why you don’t.
I really appreciate all the feedback

2 Likes