When do you consider day 1 of flower?

I am glad you did because I never knew there would be so many differences of opinion.
Made for a good read. :+1:

1 Like

I don’t know what day is day one but when I flip the lights and they show me their genders I remove the boys and let them go. After they get about 8 weeks in I start checking the trichromes and finish when they have some amber and some cloudy probably even some clear. I go by the trichromes is my answer.

3 Likes

This is one of the reasons I ask this question
Alot if new growers are confused when going by nutrients guides/breeders guides etc……
Great example here

3 Likes

I love overgrow because we have no problem discussing the same topics wth the same people (+new members) ; gives us a chance to reinforce our responses and Learn b open to new perspectives…
not sayin this in a bad way. It’s I’mportant an helpfull to revisit discussions over and over . Discussion is what we love !

I always counted from first day of flip
Never knew there was a different way to interpret the start of the flowering phase .

I never would have known if It hadn’t Bee discussed here !

I will always count from first day 12/12 until my consciousnss expands lol

4 Likes

Since I start counting the days OUTSIDE when I see the first signs of flower, I do the same inside.

The date I flip from 12/12 is noted, but not used as my “start of flower” date.

4 Likes

Most strains for me take 9-10 when breeder recommends 7-8
So if your counting from flip and doing 8-9 then you probably could have went a week or two more but counting from flip has influenced your decision subconsciously : ) so really to me it’s the flip guys that are saying it’s a 5-6 week strain : )
People that count from flowering showing usually let there plants go longer than those who count from flip : ) we don’t generally count from flower shows and chop at same time as breeder recommends and call flowering time at 5-6 weeks only

2 Likes

See that’s interesting, I never really compiled how long they flower outside. Only when they finish haha :ok_hand:

I always assumed they finished earlier because they triggered under longer days, but it’s also not always true. What happened with flower times lol (questions myself/system I use, nice)

4 Likes

Why would you pay more attention to what the breeder says than what the plant says? The trichomes tell the real story on when they’re ready; the plants don’t care what symbols we use to represent what they’re doing, they just do it.

2 Likes

This has been my experience. Outdoors the real question is will they finish in time in my shitty climate :rofl:

3 Likes

@Cormoran , I’m not , I’m using it as an initial guide as to what to expect later down the line : )

1 Like

Then when you start counting doesn’t matter at all, other than occasionally shaking your head and wondering why the breeder doesn’t know their own plants. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Only people that count from flip shake their heads : )

100%

I’m having a real hard time picking strain for my climate heh… summer is stupid hot and humid during the day and nights are chilly, then fall is anyone’s guess.

I have a few that finish properly and don’t care about the fall fuckery, but hate the August heat waves… so they often are fluffier than they’re supposed to be.

2 Likes

Since there’s obviously no unified standard for counting, I doubt that’s true… sounds like you’re just assuming that your way of counting is right and that’s what all breeders use as well. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

@Cormoran You are correct , we all think like that tho , yes lol

2 Likes

I grew an NL that was ready in 49 days (from flip :joy:). I made a cross with it and I’m hoping the quick flowering will carry through and make it a decent outdoor strain.

3 Likes

I think it’s foolish to assume everyone thinks the same, even when there is an objective standard. In cases where there clearly isn’t… well, whatever. Not worth wasting my words on this anymore. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I always counted from the day I put the lights on 12/12

4 Likes

@Cormoran we all assume we are right until we are proven wrong , don’t we ?
It’s just a discussion , no need for
You to feel your words are being wasted : )

3 Likes

This was first noted in the mid 90’s when it was suggested that European seed banks posted the time of flowering starting from the first visible flowers while US seedbanks posted flower times that started on the day they flipped to 12/12. It would take asking each vendor to clarify with absolute certainty but I still think that generally applies for the older european seed banks like sensi seeds but many newer seed vendors seem to be aligned with posting flowering times starting at the cutover date to 12/12. Many times the breeders grow out some test batches and have a specific pheno chosen that takes “X days” to flower and posit that as the ultimate pheno expression to be found by the general grower. But there can always be an outlier that finishes 2 weeks earlier or a month later in the batch… the breeder is usually specifying that the specific pheno a grower should look for when popping their seeds will finish at X days not that the seeds will be homogeneous and that they will all finish at the exact same time

3 Likes