Where Do The Terpenes Live?

I’m working on a cannabis tincture process that hopes to maximize the level of terpenes in my final product.

I realized however that I am unclear as to where cannabis terpenes actually reside, physically, in cannabis buds. I’ve studied up a bit, but haven’t found a clear answer on this.

I think I know that the molecules comprising terpenes reside in the leafy structure rather than in the actual trichome heads, bracts, or stalks.

I’ve also learned that terpenes are water (and alcohol) soluble and are washed out of the bud in processes like wet curing or QWET. Apparently terpenes are volatile and flash off somewhat during the drying process given heat and low humidity.

If that is the case I would assume that most of the terps are lost in the process of making bubble hash, but retained in the filtered tincture after QWET processing.

So I humbly request the OG Brain Trust to enlighten me if the above assumptions are correct, along with any ancillary intel that might be of use.

Respectfully Submitted,
-Grouchy

9 Likes

Metabolites, including cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids, are formed within secretory disk cells that line the base of the glandular trichome head and stored in the subcuticular cavity

18 Likes

in a little old shoe:

non sarcastic answer: like helio said, I believe the trichome heads hold a significant portion of the terpenes. I DO agree that terpenes are lost during the bubble hash process. The water ends up tasting like snapple with fruity strains haha. But bubble hash can still be very flavorful and aromatic beyond the generic “hash” smell

9 Likes

From what I understand the trichomes have glands that produce terpenes. But I also believe that other parts of the plant also produce terpenes. Very interesting question that I just assumed I knew the answer. Looking forward to hearing what the OG experts say on this topic.

3 Likes

Yes, there are terpenes in the trichomes. Live bubble hash has plenty of terpenes still in it. If you want to make a tasty tincture, don’t decarb the buds. Make the tincture with fresh dry buds. Then strain and let the tincture rest for about 90 days in a cool dark place. This will decarb it without flashing off the terpenes with heat.

17 Likes

Dry sift takes some beating for flavor, it’s possible there’s something better I’ve not tried the latest extracts etc.

3 Likes

I’ve seen more than one bubble hasher go to dry sift without turning back. I’m sure there’s something there, I’ve just never invested the energy in making sifting screens to find out :joy:

4 Likes

@ChongoBongo this might interest you, i could almost guarantee that if you try dry sift you’ll love it.

Is there a way i can post a link without it taking up half a page?

5 Likes

in the reply box, hit the little chain link icon

4 Likes

The vast majority of “terps” are glycosidically bound (lack of glycosidase activity) , are waiting for cysteine/glutathione to be released from protein (lack of beta lyase) , or are waiting for release from lipids (lipoxygenase).

“Terps” do not magically show up in the sink, they begin life in the Chloroplasts. Which is why top end producers compost on a strain by strain basis, feeding those precursors back to the same genetic.

Running thermally extracted vapor through a water trap turns everything in the distillation path into “hash/reg” flavors. Water hash with modern genetics has never made sense to me for this reason. Don’t people want the bright secondaries also? Always used the rig to get big hits eventually asked myself why am I putting water in this thing, no compromise required.

If you want to decarboxylate without heat; decarboxylase.

5 Likes

3 Likes

last time i checked, they were living in a ranch house down by the school on 6th ave. not sure now though, it’s been a minute since i visited.

1 Like

@GrouchyOldMan Try this.

@ReikoX Always Amazing!

RSO by far will have everything a cannabis plant has to offer medicinally, I get mine from a Exspencery, the cost is outweighed by quality.

1 Like

Very interesting article @Heliosphear, thanks for sharing.

I just made a nice batch of bubble hash and it’s freeze drying right now per @JoeCrowe’s method.

Making bubble hash really concentrates the flavor. The secret is live extracts that you perform before the volatile organics evaporate. It’s definitely like the article @Heliosphear posted, except they missed an important part. The trichomes are formed in veg. Also, you can literally take a picture of what is inside the trichomes. I wonder why they didn’t do that, and made those strange drawings.

Here’s an image of a vegging plant, in case anyone is wondering.

7 Likes

on top of ole smoky all covered with cheese?

1 Like

So,what about dry sifting my freshly frozen Buds instead of doing the mess with Bubble hash?Will It kill a lot the terps?

2 Likes

I liked the illustrations. I think they help get the point across that there are lots of different molecules in the trichome head.

1 Like

I’ve seen this done with a tumbler and CO2 to keep it frozen. Check out the original resinator on IG.

The thing is, dry sift is not a misnomer. The material has to be very dry.

4 Likes

It won’t work ok with fresh frozen and not dried Frozen Buds.I can make some extraction with food grade alchool 95% like I use to then.
@ReikoX