Where to put heater inside 4x4 to not damage plants

Naw not even close, you’re looking at 10W maybe 20 from a small heat mat, to get into 200w of heating that way you’re looking at commercial grade seedling mats at more than $100. Sub-floor heating from a mat would be a good approach under the plants or tent but it’s gonna cost more:

1 Like

I agree with you @Dirt_Wizard this just makes too much sense.
Provide the right-heat, only up to mid canopy, the light does the rest !

Saw in-floor heating manifolds in Germany 30 years ago, have loved that tech since…

1 Like

I helped my exes Dad put in radiant hot water under their first floor from the basement some years ago, we had a heat exchanger hooked up from the wood stove in the basement to the water tank for radiant to do cogeneration and it was pretty amazing how much happier humans and houseplants are with a little heat from the floor in a cool house. Subfloor is great stuff, super efficient since you’re starting the heat down low where everything can absorb it before it rises away. We installed PEX and radiators under the floorboards from the basement up, instead of laying them inside a subfloor. I would like to eventually put my tents on top of a homemade subfloor/platform with some radiant heat under it, probably using this stuff or more likely a DIY with a router and some leftover construction plywood scrap. Just gotta get some PEX and one of those 200w in-line aquarium heaters, and make an insulated reservoir from an old Igloo cooler, and a low volume, mid pressure water pump to circulate with, though I realized you could probably use a gravity feed with a return like flood and drain, things to think about before next winter…

IMG_2390

1 Like

Using a Laser temperature-gun you can monitor the Canopy temperature super accurately.

Exceeding 82f can be seen as pushing it. Getting the canopy above 77F equals action

1 Like

I purchased my infrared space heater at Menards for 15$ and in my opinion infrared heater are less harsh on the RH , other ceramic heaters make it really dry hot air and well a fire hazard.

2 Likes

My opinion

Use the heater outside of the tent, get some ducting to suck the heat into the tent. Curl the ducting into about two or three “S turns” to reduce or eliminate light leakage into the tent. Just have the ducting next to where the heat comes out of the heater but don’t attach it, just allow the ducting to passively suck the heated air from the heater, into the tent :+1:

1 Like

Kills me to run those damn heaters though a 400w heater is almost as much as my 600w light :frowning:

2 Likes

You could start a fire, i suppose :man_shrugging:t2::rofl: lol

Fair point about heater wattage

1 Like

I guess I’m really just wondering why it’s not growing or transpiring or whatever , I thought it might be soil is too cold but idk from what I can measure the soil is around 65°ish and I was told that it needs to be around 74°ish in root zone.

1 Like

Warmer is better for sure, but I honestly don’t think you are too cold for growth, it will just slow the growth. I often do this purposely in order to slow early Veg growth to allow my bloom area”s” to catch up etc. when I am running perpetually. A heat mat etc. Will definitely help, I just use a towel (thick ones use one layer, thin use two) or if they are on trays (which I prefer) I will double up trays and it dissipates the heat enough to make it just right usually. As @Vagabond_Windy said warm temps are coming. Or the small space heater idea outside of tent I also like. But if you can get away with one or two small heat mats I’d go that way, you don’t necessarily need a control if you dissipate some of the heat.

2 Likes

My leaf temperature is around 68°ish . I just want to get it to ideal condition but I’d have to make it a sealed tent and I definitely will have problems with mold in my basement. I only have 1 plant in a #5 pot in a 4×4 tent and 2 150watt quantum board led lights. So from what I’ve seen that I don’t have the temperature high enough for the plant to photosynthesis, my basement is 64°ish so I’m having a hard time with it.

1 Like

For low wattage, small oil filled heaters it seems like the affordable and available option is this one at 400 watts:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NewAir-Portable-400-Watt-Electric-Oil-Filled-Silent-Slim-Fit-Design-Under-Desk-Heater-with-Energy-Efficient-Operation-White-AH-400/205588528

You could also go with tubular convection heaters, which are used in many greenhouses and as process heaters in factories or large heavy equipment, you’d have to wire them up to a mains supply and a thermostat controller, which could just be a home thermostat smart or dumb:

https://us.rs-online.com/product/rs-pro/1358426/71768424/

2 Likes

Thank you for the tube heater link! I’ve been jealous of the European guys who have these, but couldn’t find them in the US!

1 Like

Yeah dude they’re elegant as fuck, super jealous of all the English and Dutch folks with them, seems like a great thing for a damp cold place so it makes sense they’d make them there. It looks like RS bought Allied, an American distributor and is now available here which is great! I didn’t know that until I was poking around for a link to post here, good news for all of us.

1 Like

I think that’s a pretty good plan but at that point you might as well get a metal box of some sort like trash 12x12” or 20x20” sort of HVAC duct or whatever and just put the little $20 heater six inches inside it then have the intake ported onto one end. Like other people are saying, you can either hang the heater in the tent so it’s away from water or being too close to things, and just rely on your circulation fans to move heat, or you could put the heater outside the tent, in which case you’d want to make sure you’re sucking up all the heat from it effectively, by putting inside the ducting system as the first thing the cold air hits when it’s sucked in by your exhaust fan.

1 Like

Also this I’m pretty sure is the same thing.

1 Like

Heat rises it’s colder on the floor where you need the heat. I’d opt for the ceramic heater been several years I’ve used mine with no issues.probably the safest heater next to oil filled but I’ve had them crap out.

2 Likes

Good find! It sure looks to be identical

1 Like

Just because the ceramic heater snuck into this pic, which it normally doesn’t. The very salty tray is where I splash oops nutes for humidity in the winter. No,I won’t clean it haha.

Note the pc fan moving air around and eliminating hot spots.

1 Like

I hang a small heater off the roof poles. Works excellent.