Where would you start with a test breeding project?

@slain Thanks for another great explanation. I hadn’t stumbled across the FAQ’s and was looking for good summary topics. I will go check them out for sure!

Seems like whether you want to do a 1000 seed phenohunt and then trying to stabilize it vs. dial in a cross quickly with stable genetics is more a personality type thing or style as a breeder. Both appeal to me though :joy:

1 Like

@slain Ok, I just read half of the back cross FAQ, I’m going to be reading for a bit, and then I’ll have to read it again :joy:

Thanks for looking out!

1 Like

By the way, I have a 70 station aquaponic setup I’m working on. I can completely shower it in HO T5’s with top notch ballasts, bulbs, and reflectors. These things will roast all but the most light loving corals, despite their less showy measurements with a par meter.I

In the coral world, my speculation has always been that being bathed in light from all directions with less shady spots allows them to take in more light and have a higher DLI threshold. IME they are more effective at bleaching a coral than 400w high par MH’s with 99% reflective parabolic reflectors. I wreaked havoc on one of my reef tanks by overdriving 39w HO T5’s. At that time people were still convinced T5’s couldn’t grow high light demand corals well…

Will something similar hold true with cannabis?

1 Like

My god, rather , science; intro to evolution and genetics class didn’t fully prepare me for all I just read. I think I’m about 50% stable in my understanding, the other 50% is distracted by something shiny… I’m going to go stare at my plants a bit :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Of course, it not either/or, and I’m so not looking to discourage any breeding/crossing experimentation, far from it. Just reflecting from my own personal learning journey with this amazing plant, do both for sure. Just be warned that it’s a long road lol.

Mostly I think but man that’s another long conversation :joy:
The T5’s will throw a very diffuse light, which as you have indicated is more efficient than point light source such as a MH. With the MH the angle of incidence is direct, meaning the distribution of photons to leaf chloroplasts is less evenly distributed, and therefore less efficient than the scattered light emitted from the T5, however it’s the intensity of the light that is important, and the PAR, Though personally I just use 3500k LEDs right across the cycle, so idk what temp you are running on the T5’s?

Also consider that the chloroplasts by far most prevalent on the upper side of the leaf, so side and under lightning benefits can be marginal in my experience.

Good read ! Whatever happened with your endeavor?