Which is the better way to improve the air quality on Aeroponic roots chamber?

Hello everyone!

I’m making some features at my LPA system and i trying to improve the air quality on roots chamber, i bought a 12v AIR/WATER/VACUUM pump, that one chinese cheap… My actual question is:

Its better i throw ar inside the chambers e let they out frow the entrance on the netpots or do the inverse.

vacuum the air in the chamber and the new air will enter from the netpots ?

I’d remember read about too much air flux in the rootzone can be prejudicial to the roots…

anyone has some tip in this area ?

2 Likes

I’d push air in rather than pulling; simply because pulling wet air through a vacuum pump can kill it before it’s time. I only use a small aero cloner for clones though and have found it needs no added air. Simply opening the bucket changes the air out enough.

my strategy should be take de “wet air” and throw in my reservoir with porous stone and oxygenate my solution.

but your way looks more simple and as much efficient for the real problem… i will make the updates on next hours and update here about the news!

Simply opening the bucket changes the air out enough.

i already do this everyday, but i’m planning a travel for 10 days and i need solve this until i go to can relax and enjoy the travel… kkk

thanks for contributing !!

1 Like

10 days is a bit much. Maybe something like an aquarium pump to add a small amount of air. Otherwise I’d just run what you have honestly; if it works why mess with it? If you kill the pump you kill it.

1 Like

ok, you’re right… I’m working on it now and I’ll do it in the safest and simplest way… for now… :nerd_face:

1 Like

Agreed. This sounds like the move.

1 Like

maybe when i get back from the travel… what @ChemicalDependant said its true… if the pump stops i kill my sweeties… and i think has more chances the things goes bad working with air and water than just air.

when i’m at home i will love make this experiment… all my grow is a experiment… hahahaha testing everything… aero, dwc, diy mapito, overferting one of them to see what is the limit… ( the brand “tonygreens tortured beans” makes sense to me at this moment. hahahaha

if u guys want to see how it will ends, here is my diary!

thanks all for the contributing <3

2 Likes

The advantage to adding an air stone to your reservoir is that when the roots extend into the water, they will still get air. That’s probably where you want to go long term, like @Foreigner said. But you got the idea I think.

1 Like

If you want to add air directly to the root zone ( providing you have good sealing on the lid and with the net cups ) I’m finding low ml input of air ran through a water bubbler is the sweet spot. When I run a standard air pump with low humidity ambient air, I get a low humidity air i the root zone which acts like a desiccant and Drys the roots in my hpa systems.

However, when I run the pump into a jar of water and the outlet is above the water line and into the tank, I took RH readings in a 2000 ml beaker and found passing the air through the water raises the humidity to 80+ preventing any issues,

Controlling the air flow in, is straight forward, you don’t need over kill of air input, anything is better than not having any racers air or relying completely on the de solved oxygen in the sprayed water.

Most AA systems shoot for 1200 ‘ish ml of air per spray cycle, I’ve ran 1000 ml of air per minute and seen some great results.

Low and hpa are two separate beasts, but more oxygen in the root chamber verse not, will help you in the long run. Even if the free gas oxygen in the root chamber loosely attaches to the hydroshpering on the roots, it will still increase root o2 transfer.

Hope that helps .

1 Like

Very rich explanation… thanks for sharing !

i’m studying the best way to improve my system… maybe i will run this cycle how its already done while i do preparing the v2 of system for the next cycle

Hey guys… updating here:

I’ve trying a new trick… i did put a air stone right on the hole where my water pump gets the solution to throw in the misters…

the result is a lot of bubbles of air going together the water… lets see in the next days if the smell of mold in the chamber will dissapear.

:crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

above my paygrade ! very interesting " Aeroponics " might be one of the hardest ways to grow ? (hydro, soil, coco)

1 Like

yes, it has a lot of “minucious” things that you need give attention, but i really falling in love about the results… my plants are a big monsters… i have a diary here… need to update … lot of changes on my setup and plants, but you can follow the saga there :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I’ve grown in aeroponics for well over a decade and have never had a issue with air quality in my aero tubs! My roots are always very white and smell like bean sprouts!! Lol makes me want to eat them…

If you do chose to use a air pump make sure you regularly change out the internal filter(something I never see anyone do…) if not after a while you will actually be contaminating the air quality because you will be pumping in dirty air…

I’d highly recommend using a organic digestive like this. If very cheap and concentrated…works amazingly well!

2 Likes

it can be used with mineral nutes ?

Is this for keep the water quality ? helps to prevent mold and others ? I trying to understand better to search something similar in Brazil

Thanks for sharing :heart: i think the major problem in my system is the light in chambers… the top of the chamber is improvised… first try… next cycle i will do some improvements :slight_smile: maybe i send u some PM to validate my project if you’re open :slight_smile:

I don’t get back here often, but I came on by tonight and read your comment about the air filter :+1: absolutely! Good eye for detail and shared info

When I run the pump line into the water bubbler and into the root chamber, I like to think it serves two purposes , air moisture and some sort of “ air cleaning “

I messed with treating the water bubble jar like a wine air lock and was even adding h202 to the jar as a means of “ sterilizing “ and also my thought was adding a bit more o2 to the air.

The jar was 100 ml water and I played with up to 5 ml of h202 so far without any oxidation issues. Haven’t gone much further yet.

My issue was in my systems I run right as a drum, tight. I don’t want to breathe any mist or have any mist in my breathable air so between neoprene collars and foam, I noticed a oxygen deficient root zone. But never seen any mold, ever- went air input and could see the difference even as small as the input was.

Only escape for the positive air input is that of the drain to waste which is kinda sorta s trap so I don’t worry about mist entering the air.

I’m so bad with the filters on my air pumps :joy: I always remove them :man_facepalming: but I don’t smoke or spray any detergents in my rooms “ thinking it’s clean air” :man_facepalming: I need to keep up with the filters haha.

Be well ! Enjoy The Weeknd ! Avoid bad vibes :v:

1 Like

Looking at the pictures…you have more of a Deep Water Culture setup than a aeroponics setup…

Aeroponic type systems usually consist of a net pot, with clay pellets or similar in which the roots grow through and hung in the air…the roots will be misted with small sprayers on a cycle timer or continuously.

Most aero setups are usually Low Pressure but I’ve built more than a few High Pressure setups running 60+ psi…turns the misters into almost a fog! :slight_smile:

Cool little setup though!

Happy growing

Brian(Alaskagrown)

EDIT: Was hard to tell from the pics posted here…Just looked at your other thread…in the setup I might add more misters in the aero tub, but that’s just me…maybe build a spray bar using pvc with some bulkheads so it’s completely sealed.

I’ve built a ton of really nice aero systems over the years…if you’d like some help send me a PM. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Oh man, of course i will like to share information about aero …

yes, the pictures here isnt good… i have a diary… there u can follow the entire saga… i already made changes on the system 3 or 4 times. But still the first version, so… a lot of improvments to do.

i will make a video today of my system and babies and will update my diary… i will tag you to you see!

thanks for the disponibility and for sharing your knowledge!

now i’m running 4 plants ( 2 colombia gold, 2 lemon haze) on aero and 4 plants o dwc ( 2 colombia gold, 2 lemon haze) … planning build a brand of hydroponic system parts and hash maker tools and grow automation. :slight_smile: need to import some gears of arduino and raspberrypi to start the next level… control everrything by my phone…

ph control, nute add, water add, water temp and others entirely controlled by phone, with options for auto control, and more :slight_smile:

maybe more 2 or 3 months i can buy everything i need to start the automation part of the process.

Cya!!

1 Like