Which temp do you go by during flowering, room or canopy temp?

Which temp do you go by during flowering, is it room temp or is it canopy temp?
Im hitting 91-95 right at canopy but the room is 78-82 are these number to high during flowering
I am ducting in and out, oscillating fan is running

1 Like

Canopy temps bro. The plants don’t care about the room temp, we care about the canopy. Temps are a little warm imo. Have they been like that the whole grow?

2 Likes

What r ur lights and how close?

1 Like

Welcome to OG @HandsOn My practice is to hang a digital, remote hygrometer 4" below the canopy. The temp diff is about 3 degF. The RH is more accurate. I’d look at ways to lower the room temp 5 deg imo

3 Likes

600w hps 20 inches away

1 Like

I just went in a measured mine, I too am running a 600w hps but it’s got glass and vented. Are ur ladies in a tent or do they have a room to themselves

they are in a room …

Well buddy u got some options, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. If u have no other problems, run it.

I myself, would back that light up a few inches. They’ll stretch a little and ur well within the effective range for that 600w.

Those temps in my system I’d have to back off the feed ppm abit cuz hot bitches get thirst.y @Yooper63 yooper is spot on. Use a wired probe but I’d hang it just above the canopy, preferences in the end.

If ur using an infared thermo (temp gun). Don’t. The infared light from the hps bulb will fuck with the reading.

1 Like

i was about to order a thermo gun…that will have to wait for now…

Resist bro, those temp guns are awesome for all kinds of shit but horticulture is not one. Instead get a wired probe and just back the light up 5 inches. And see what happens.

2 Likes

I’ve seen so many answers to this question that I decided to just let the plants tell me.

I monitor temperature in a shady area of the tent. Trying to montor canopy temperature is very difficult because if the monitoring device is exposed to direct light it will absorb radiant heat and the temperature will rise above the real ambient temperature. One of my thermometers is an analog one with a magnet o the back. If stick it to one of the tent poles, I get an inaccurate reading due to the radiant heat of the lights warming the pole, and that heat conducting into the chassis of the thermometer.

The plants will transpire moisure to compensate for this radiant heat, so they will remain cooler than a thermometer exposed to the same radiant heat. They’ll drink more water doing so. So the tip about reducing nute strength should be seriously considered.

If you can get a reading in the canopy, but shade the thermometer, you’ll have a much better idea of what the real temperature is.

Or, just watch your plants closely. If it is too hot, it’ll start to show in one way or another.

3 Likes

i will do that…i might just leave the door open to keep the temp around 80

1 Like

U got this bro. :+1:

1 Like

This.

I use an Inkbird temp controller to monitor temps and to control fans and a heater in the tent. One $15 InkBird device can do it all, but you must shade the probe or it will read hi.

I place it near the top of the canopy, but make sure its under a leaf or shaded in some way, or it will read too hi. I keep meaning to build a little probe umbrella to shade it, but never got around to it.

I would put your existing temp gauge under some shade and re-measure your temps. If it exposed to direct light from your fixture, it may be reading way too hi. In other words, you might be fine as you are now.

1 Like

I know the canopy temperature is important but I always thought the root zone temperature is the most important. Forgive and correct me if I’m wrong please :+1:

1 Like

Both are important.

If the roots are too cold, growth slows down. If the roots are too warm, you run a much higher risk for root rot - which sucks big time.

The same applies to the canopy. Too cold, and growth slows down. Too hot and the plants suffer, wilt, etc.

You also need to be aware of humidity and ventilation. Too humid and you can get mold - which is very bad. Too dry and the plants suffer. Too much air movement - too strong a fan - is also bad. It can dry the plants out. Too little air circulation and you again risk mold.

You need to do your best to keep all those things - plus PH and nute strengths - in a good range. The better you do, the better the plants do, and vice versa.

2 Likes

Room Temp 82
Canopy 88
Floor 77
Lights are up at 28 inches

1 Like

Canopy temps are on the hi side. I prefer mid 70’s to low 80’s max.

1 Like

i will move the lights up more

1 Like